PDA

View Full Version : 2ltr redtop fitting. Help needed.

Courtnova16v
01-09-07, 08:44 PM
Couple of questions I could do with some help on.

Does a strengthening kit on the engine bay need to be used when fitting a 2ltr redtop? Or will seam welding the engine bay be enough? Where on the engine bay will need welding?

Also what mods do you have to do to the engine mounts to get it to fit? Do you have to mod anything for the gearbox? Thanks.

Philsutton
01-09-07, 08:50 PM
you dont need the plating kit, unless you hit speed bumps at mach 4 an take the car on forest stages

coombsey
01-09-07, 08:51 PM
the mounts you can get from chris astlet at ther top of the screen

Courtnova16v
01-09-07, 09:06 PM
If i get new mounts will the engine line up with them? or will i need cut and weld them in a different position?

coombsey
01-09-07, 09:11 PM
should bolt straight in with the mount kit

Courtnova16v
01-09-07, 09:31 PM
philsutton & coombsey thanks for your help so far. Does anyone no where in the engine bay i need to weld to strengthen it?

coombsey
01-09-07, 09:36 PM
have a look throght the projects pages

Welsh Dan
01-09-07, 09:43 PM
The best bet is to stitch weld every seam.

Adam
02-09-07, 12:40 AM
philsutton & coombsey thanks for your help so far. Does anyone no where in the engine bay i need to weld to strengthen it?
http://www.vauxhallsportforum.com/phpBB2/who-thinks-these-would-be-good-technical-features-for-tv-t3882,start,15.html

See Ste's post at the bottom.
I think the pics are of Dan's shell.

Rich
02-09-07, 01:11 AM
Sticch every seam ijn that bay if i do it again i would prbly get the stergnthing kit!

1 inch miss inch all round. I would advice strengthened mounts goo as i got a big dent in my dar even tho theres loans of clearance

Adam
02-09-07, 01:17 AM
You been the pub? lol

Rich
02-09-07, 01:21 AM
no clubbin baby yeh i should be in bed the rooms doin circles rourend me!1! lol

edit whu you still up? lol

Adam
02-09-07, 01:22 AM
pmsl lol

Rich
02-09-07, 01:41 AM
that spelling is really bad sorry. I meant to say, i advise competition mounts and seam welding with the chassis strenthing kit because i used normal mounts and ive got a nice dent in my radiater even thought it looks like theres loads of clearance

Chris Astley
02-09-07, 11:37 AM
personally i think the plating kit plays a bigger part in strengthening the shell as opposed to seam welding because when the shell is seam welded you still have removed the crumple zones in the front chassis legs were they normally crack.

The mount kit i sell is a direct bolt on kit and requires no cutting/welding e.t.c.

Chris

Courtnova16v
02-09-07, 03:36 PM
Thanks every one for the help. I will be posting some pics of my progress so far in the project part of the site at some point today.

RALLYMAN I'm thinking of buying a strengthening kit from you and was just wondering do I need to use all the plates or just the ones for the engine buy. Also just wondering are you mates with a rob jones from wrexham? might sound like a strange question I no.

Chris Astley
02-09-07, 04:03 PM
You will need 12 of the 14 plates for the front of the car which are a must. Yeh i know Rob, why you ask mate?

Chris

Courtnova16v
02-09-07, 04:50 PM
Because I work with him and I was talking to him about my car and he said "I no know Chris Astley". I'd heard of your company but I wasn't sure if it was you he ment. Do I need to stich weld any other part of the car apart from the engine buy? Once I get the car ready for welding I will be buying a strengthening kit from you : ) Think I may already have the mounts I need on the engine I got with the car but not 100% sure.

Courtnova16v
02-09-07, 08:46 PM
Just wondering if anyone knows once I have seam welded the engine bay and fitted a chris astley strengthening kit do any other parts of the car need strengthening? Because I notice some people strip the whole car and do inside aswell. The car is going to be for road use.

Welsh Dan
02-09-07, 10:58 PM
You dont *need* to, but it does stiffen up the chassis a bit.

Courtnova16v
23-09-07, 04:39 PM
Chris, I've sent you a PM.