PDA

View Full Version : Uprated fuel pump... any advice?

Matt2107
01-09-07, 08:26 PM
Been having some problems with the mounting brackets on my GTE fuel pump. I can't really be ****d to order the cotton reel mounts or sort out mounting the panel to the box section on my 1.2 shell.

I was looking at the Facet fuel pumps but I'm not sure what to get.
Any suggestions or advice?

Philsutton
01-09-07, 08:31 PM
dont use a facet one for mpi they are low pressure pumps, any external one will do the same job.

mowgli
01-09-07, 08:39 PM
just go to any exhaust shop & get some mini 'bobbins' or if you ring the vaux dealer, you can get new captive nuts for the 2 funny shaped holes on the chassis leg. (you put them in then turn them 90 degrees) they cost pence.

coombsey
01-09-07, 08:43 PM
whats wrong with good old cable ties

mowgli
01-09-07, 09:19 PM
erm. the pump will probably fall off & cause a fire, & the MOT man will laugh all the way to the fail sheet

nova lod.
01-09-07, 11:16 PM
all i done mate was weld 2 13m bolts to underneath next to ma tyre well made e braket to hold the pump just a strait bit metal drilled a couple of holes in it 4 an exhaust clamp clamed the pump up and then drill 2 holes in the strait bit plate then bolt it up perfect:)

Chris Astley
02-09-07, 11:42 AM
I have fitted pumps to chassis legs which dont have the captive nuts in by using large washers with a bolt from inside the chassis, as long as the washer isnt wide than the length of the slot in the chassis leg.

Chris

mowgli
02-09-07, 12:49 PM
the holes are there on all novas & my local dealer had the nuts in stock, they fit loads of models. Just order some, no drilling, no welding, just spent about ?2

Matt2107
02-09-07, 01:21 PM
Cheers chaps.. will stick with the original.

craig green
02-09-07, 08:27 PM
Aye the captive nut inserts from GM are cheap & easy.

Btwe I've found the pump cradle from a Cav or Astra mk2 is a better design than the Nova one & has the flexible bobbins inside it & not against the chassis leg like the nova one, so its a bit tighter.