PDA

View Full Version : Help!! head fitting went wrong!

greg1.4
01-09-07, 10:05 AM
Got up this morning planning to have a good days work on the nova and finish the engine etc.. started tightening head bolts up and got them tight enough and i went round every one checking them and making sure they were tight and gave them a tiny final nip up.. then went the BANG!! head bolt had snapped. only one but is this now a head back off job or is there a way i can drill it out or something? i dont mind taking the head off again but i am not taking the block out again inless i really really have to.:cry:

so has this happened to anyone before?

this is the result
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o95/Greg_Mcknight/DSCF0028-5.jpg

what can i do??? drill it out and re-thread it or something and put antother bolt in but maybe not as tight..lol

please help me asap.. its a 1300 SR block with a 1200 head (8 valve) if you need to know..might help

Thanks,
Greg

Crlracing
01-09-07, 11:07 AM
Take out the head and try to weld the bolt again or a smaler bolt it order to try to take the rest of it off. Make sure it is a stong bolt :)

greg1.4
01-09-07, 01:50 PM
job sorted. managed to get bolt out and put a new one in.

Adam
01-09-07, 02:42 PM
Were you tightening them to the proper torque/angle setting?
How did you get it out?

New bolts and gasket required if you removed the head again.

greg1.4
01-09-07, 03:02 PM
suruely i wont need a new gasket again.. i only tightened the bolts up (2nd last bolt went bang) so i took them back out and lifted the head off (doesnt look to be damaged) and took bolt out with vice grips as there was a small bit of bolt sticking out block, refitted head and cam etc and put a old bolt in the snapped bolts place..

Greg

Adam
01-09-07, 03:08 PM
The gasket can be compressed once.
You've now reused an old head bolt??

greg1.4
01-09-07, 03:15 PM
yep..

Adam
01-09-07, 04:06 PM
Hmmmmmmm

bump
01-09-07, 04:51 PM
Considering that head bots are stretch bots and a lack of effective gasketing, I think this one isn't going to be pretty.

Ash
01-09-07, 05:17 PM
personally I'd start again. New gasket and head bolts. Was the bolt that snapped new?

Adam
01-09-07, 05:34 PM
It might be down to a big lack of compression that it wont start.
Does the engine seem to turn over very easily?

greg1.4
01-09-07, 08:00 PM
its turning over pretty fast for a while then it does down as the battery goes flat. I got it running tonight but switched it off after about 10 seconds (everything sounded ok) and i went to start it again and it didnt want to fire up..

getting sick of the car now..

Greg