PDA

View Full Version : fao tein carb'd owners.

alan b
31-08-07, 02:58 PM
hey lads just wondering what are t40'd novas like to own? thinking of putting them on my gsi, what kind of mpg? good torque? any idlig probs? cheers.

Ash
31-08-07, 03:01 PM
all depends on your setup and how well the carbs are setup and serviced.

if you use the search im sure it will answer all your questions ;)

Adam
31-08-07, 03:01 PM
Ghey

Bad cold start(Fine once the engines warm)
Around 30mpg on the motorway(20ish if driving hard)

I wouldn't have one for a everyday car.

Stuart
31-08-07, 03:06 PM
lmfao

its all in the setup and condition of the carbs.
setup by a goon = piss poor performance/mpg etc
crap condition = piss poor performance/mpg etc
Good condition and setup by an old bloke = ACE!!!! (not efi ace but close enough for govt work)

I think we managed about 35mpg from Dans 1.6 on a good run.

Adam
31-08-07, 03:07 PM
Agreed/\
Tho even setup best as possible,
Cold idle is still bad, having to "hold" the throttle until the engine warms up.

And finding someone that can setup carbs well is a rare occurance nowadays, going by a lot of people who have had "pro" setups, and yet still get ****e running.

tom_beverley
31-08-07, 03:45 PM
Mine were fine from cold :p , three pumps of the pedal before I turned the key and never had a problem even when the car was frozen in the morning lol

Mine would return as said, circa 35mpg when driven steady.

Adam
31-08-07, 03:50 PM
Aye, but you'd have to keep the pedal held, as it wont idle?

tom_beverley
31-08-07, 03:58 PM
No, it was really good, idle was normal too at about 800-900rpm (wasn't even that lumpy with the AST2 in).

The good starting surprised me really, however they were fully rebuilt and my dad set them up and did a fapping good job too!

nova---chris
31-08-07, 04:13 PM
I ran twin 45s on my c20xe without any choke cable.
Just few pumps of the pedal once it had started for a matter of 20 seconds it would idle fine in all conditions.!

Like said earlier in the thread. depends on state of carbs / setup jetting ect .
Carbs may look fine but bent spindles and other issues simlar can cause havoc !

:thumb:

(ps that was on a 200bhp xe engine)

SRlew
31-08-07, 07:53 PM
yeh mine was a beast. was an every day car too! had it during the coldest months and it fired up straight away, most of the tme without pumping pedal before hand! started quicker than my bros standard xr2. fuel wasnt to bad either, motorway was fine. but then round town etc it was a bit worse and defo worse if you floor it lol but well worth it!

nathan.
31-08-07, 08:07 PM
Mine were ok. I got about 25-30 mpg and didn't have any cold running issues. They was on my everyday car lol. Sound fooking awesome.

Dan
31-08-07, 08:13 PM
ran carbs the last 7 1/2 years now, never had an issue with cold weather or anything, economy as stu said can be amusingly good lol. As for any other aspect about old wives tales etc, as already mentioned if it is setup well with decent kit problems are non existant as i have proved over the years :thumb:

BRoadGhost
31-08-07, 08:46 PM
In the same way economy can be horrific ~ at one stage i was spending ?25 ever other night

That is the price you pay on an engine that can be heard from over 2 miles away

Philsutton
02-09-07, 01:38 PM
I ran twni 40s on my old 1.4 and twin 45s on my c20xe nova, I used to use it everyday to go to uni in an to work at stupid o clock at night/morning. Im quite easy to live with though, I havent as of yet had a car during winter with heaters, lol. You try going to work in the frezzing snow with your windows fully down to stop the windows steaming.