PDA

View Full Version : Track day car brake advice

beef@novadose.net
30-08-07, 11:34 AM
One of the parts holding up the project is a bias pedal box, but on reading a few WIP threads over the last couple of days I'm beginning to wonder if we need it. I have read some different viewpoints on brakes so just want to confirm one way or t'other.

I've had 2.0 Novas in the past with 256mm setup and 280mm Wilwoods, both with standard drums and they have been fine. My mrs had a Nova a few years ago with a disc'd rear beam and I found it sketchy to drive fast.

Our Saloon is going to be a no frills track day car, with the money spent where it needs it most, and rather than it take years, I'm keen to get it on the road as a sort of stage 1, and upgrade over time.

The car HAS to be bullet proof as we are sharing it, so will be on track all day long, need to keep it simple, function over form.

Can we just confirm the pros and cons of a bias pedal box? Initially the car will just be GSi servo and MC, 256mm with proper discs and pads, and rebuilt drums on the rear. Will an adjustable pedal box really be worth it? If we do upgrade to say 280mm Willys in the future, would we then see more benefit? Can a bias pedal box be retro fitted easily, or would new brake lines need to be run.

Thanks for your help guys :)

craig green
30-08-07, 12:19 PM
Bias box would require new lines etc.

Reading what you have said about the car, its sounds as though the bias box would be overkill IMO.

With good pads & discs 256mm ATE calipers should be upto the job. Calibra turbo sized stoppers would be the next upgrade as the calipers have same size pistons as the 256's. Therefore the pedal feel & travel doesnt suffer.

General opinion on drums is that they are fine if well adjusted. Rear discs need setting up with bias (proportioning valves) properly but are mainly for show or easier servicing.

Use DOT 5.1 fluid.

Stuart
30-08-07, 01:16 PM
imho fit standard GM discs (ok can be a little pricey), and mintex 1144 or 1155 spec pads (I'd err towards the 1155's if on track all day).

those and the std MC etc should be more than enough to keep you off the green stuff.

beef@novadose.net
30-08-07, 02:51 PM
Cheers guys. I ran 1144s and Black Diamond 256mm on my fast road 2.0 8v GSi years ago and I wasn't overly impressed. Will try the 1155s tho.

craig green
30-08-07, 05:27 PM
I agree with GM discs, they are good.

tbh fluid & pads are most important if the discs are up to it. Well specced pads will operate to a higher temp range.

Will F
31-08-07, 08:59 AM
Also comes down to budget!

If you can afford a set of 4 pots get them, they will transform the braking capability!

spanishfly
31-08-07, 09:12 AM
Keep the rear drums for sure!