PDA

View Full Version : exactlt how much lower does the engine mount have to be on 2.0 8valve??

shy witness
30-08-07, 07:40 AM
right..............ive seen this question before .but never got the right answer

i want to cut(or drill the spot welds) the drivers side engine mount off and lower it down to the correct height for my 2.0 8valve:thumb:

i would rather do it this way as ive seen people in the progress threads have a bit of trouble even when they buy the conversion mount kit.whioch would b a pain

the thing is....ive a we bit of welding top do near the mount anyway..........so theres absolutely no problem with getting it off and re-welding it on again lower down just .....all i want to know is the height...as i dont want the engine to sit at a slant obviously :confused:

then this would just mean i'd need the back of the gearbox mount for the conversion.........is that right folks???(ive seen them on e-bay for about 20 quid new.... delivered) :thumb:

theres no other problems i should know of???

sure you dont need to modify the pipe to the heater matrix .....or bend the part the clutch cable comes throuigh on a 8 valve???

thanx folks:thumb:

Will F
30-08-07, 08:36 AM
Just buy a mount! lol
?30 off ebay, they are fine nowadays!

The rear mount just needs spacing a few mm

cornish
30-08-07, 01:22 PM
I think you need to lower it about an inch and a half.

carls nova sri
30-08-07, 08:07 PM
yes front mount needs to be 1" 1/2 lower and the rear mount needs a 10mm spacer

John
30-08-07, 08:54 PM
support engine on trolley jack and reweld mount where it sits correctly.

shy witness
30-08-07, 10:24 PM
yeah ..thats what i was going to do

but it means engine in and out a time or two.............which i dont really want to be doing at this stage.....as ive to stich weld the bay and prepare it all ................aswell as all the other stuff.......

so the engine wont be going in for a fair while if you get me.......not untill the whole cars rebuilt

would it not b possible to fine tune it with a washer or 2 ...or thin plates or something to get it exactly right???

so is it 1 1/2 inches lower roughly??

_JH_
31-08-07, 08:42 AM
When I first built my car I used 40mm box and an Astra GTE mount for the engine.

Can't remember the exact size, but when making the rear box mount spacer my original mock up used a standard M12 nut with the threads drilled out and a standard M12 washer either side.

No pics sorry as I had a whopping smash front and rear and now the engine mount is made to fit my twisted front end lol