PDA

View Full Version : 1200 spi turbo, just for a laugh

gunny
28-08-07, 06:54 PM
thinking of building a 1200 turbo engine just for a laugh to whack in my little brother 1.2 'expression' lol i know its been done before so has anyone got any tips and info on what to do and parts i will need? cheers:D

General Baxter
28-08-07, 06:58 PM
for fun, lol spending ?2k just for fun,

gunny
28-08-07, 07:01 PM
y not lol

Stuart
28-08-07, 07:08 PM
its a rather homosexual thing to do just for a laugh...... If you are doing it to prove an engineering point then yeah go for it, but for the hell of it then put a let in there.

R1CH
28-08-07, 07:11 PM
Do you have 1/2 an idea how to do it ?? if you don't then don't bother !!
There was a couple of local lads turbo'd a 1300 Saloon a while back, never seen it but it used summet like a Lancia carb on a modded inlet, and a Montego TD turbo, plus probly a few other random bits ... it was supposedly pretty rapid but it wasn't long before it went bang !!
That was built for a laugh and will of cost them f**k all to build, spending ?2k to have a laugh wouldn't be my idea of fun !!
If you can bodge summet together from random bits then go for it, if not i wouldn't bother.

Rich

JJL
28-08-07, 07:19 PM
^ agreed if you can source the relevent parts from a scrap yard and enjoy tinkering go for it could be interesting.

bigbened
28-08-07, 10:44 PM
compressor in the boot with pipeline into the inlet.... cant go wrong

well it works on a strimmer anyway

bump
29-08-07, 12:18 AM
IIRC wasn't someone on about a leaf blower into carbs?

Ash
29-08-07, 01:09 AM
12v PC fans i think..

Theres a video on YouTube with a leafblower turbo on a civic iirc lol

I recon if you only pissing about you could get a small turbo from a scrappy, along with the exhaust front section and pipe work, then make up some sort of plate to go from the manifold to the turbo and your away lol If it's injection will it not just throw in the extra fuel if the afm reads more air passing through?

Probably melt very quickly tho.

gunny
29-08-07, 11:56 AM
you need to calm down and get your heads out your ****s, im planning on bodging a 1200 turbo together for fun, not spending silly money, not tryin to prove a point, so calm down, yeh i do have some idea what im doing, just thought asking for a bit of guidence would help but obviously not so im sorry i upset you! no offence to thos who didnt have a sarcastic/stupid comment to make:D

Andy_L
29-08-07, 12:18 PM
You would need a 5th injector as the cheapest way of doing it??? It would need mapping though I suppose as well which won't be cheap.

I'd probably got for a little turbo from something like an R5 (T2) IIRC, get as much of the Turbo pipework inlet etc so you can see how it all fits together to get some idea of any custom/bodged parts you'll need to make it fit.

You could fit a spacer plate on the headgasket but it's probably not essential if you're only going to run low amounts of boost.

gunny
29-08-07, 12:20 PM
nice one mate, i was thinking of a corsa isuzu diesel turbo or something aswell

Andy_L
29-08-07, 12:23 PM
nice one mate, i was thinking of a corsa isuzu diesel turbo or something aswell

Can you use a diesel turbo on a petrol car, I honestly don't know??

Stuart
29-08-07, 12:56 PM
Id slap a 1.6spi or 1.8spi injector in and then dick about with a rising rate FPR if you must do it as a pikie lol.

its not like a 1.2 engine is expensive if you melt one or two

Id be inclined NOT to use a diesel trubo on a gas car since the exhsut temps are far far higher and will muller the turbo V fast indeed. Also not sure how the nova TD turbo mounts but if its like the LET then its going to sit in the manifold itself which wont mate to the 1.2 head at all

Adam
29-08-07, 01:45 PM
Dont bother with a derv turbo.
Get something small, like a T2.

Aye, use a 1600 throttle body(its much larger than the 1.2 one), 1.8 injector, and a dual rate fpr, so then you can get the fueling ok under normal conditions, and "ok" under boost.
Also fit a astra/corsa spi top hat, instead of the pancake effort on a nova spi.

The most expensive bit will be the exhaust manifold. Exhaust downpipe etc can be diy'd with a welder.

Also, you may have trouble getting the spi tophat to hold boost pressure tho.

Go the scrappy and look at how many td's there are.
You could EASILY make up a IC/boost pipe setup, for a few quid using random pipes of various td's.

craig green
29-08-07, 02:01 PM
you need to calm down and get your heads out your ****s, im planning on bodging a 1200 turbo together for fun, not spending silly money, not tryin to prove a point, so calm down, yeh i do have some idea what im doing, just thought asking for a bit of guidence would help

Please prove us wrong & actually build it then.....

bigbened
29-08-07, 04:44 PM
can i have a go in it aswell it sounds fun

craig green
29-08-07, 05:07 PM
Done well, it might be as quick as a std 1.4 SRi.....

ANDYRACER
29-08-07, 05:17 PM
I remember a while back seeing a 1.2 corsa turbo.

Was bits and bobs off a metro turbo engine he had bodged on.

Iirc it pulled 110bhp on low boost, and he got it upto 150bhp.

Would of been a right hoot to drive. lol

Stuart
29-08-07, 05:37 PM
there was a 1.2 slieved down to 1.0 and that was chucking out something like 130bhp lol

but hey these were PROPER builds....

Adam
29-08-07, 06:11 PM
Done well, it might be as quick as a std 1.4 SRi.....
It would do more than that surely, with a decent amount of boost.

But then again, sri power is nearly a 100% increase for a 1.2 spi,Lol.

dannyb
29-08-07, 07:31 PM
Why not fit a Nitrous kit instead if you want cheap, amusing power? I think you might be able to get tips from a few people on here....

Stuart
29-08-07, 07:56 PM
and it will be transferrable to other cars so its not a total waste of time/money lol

Adam
29-08-07, 08:03 PM
100 nitrous shot, with a controller.
And you will only loose money on the actual nitrous, as the kit/controller etc should hold its value, and as said, you can easily diy fit it, and move it to another car.

craig green
30-08-07, 12:04 PM
Using a 1200 spi seams like the best way to make things difficult. The GTE 1600 lends itself better to home brew turbo's as it has a plenum & MPi to tinker with. Using the Spi system, means having to deal with pressurised inlet, 1 injector & generally weedy components surrounding the engine...

Philsutton
30-08-07, 07:52 PM
I keep thinking about this, If i ever have some loose cash doing nothing an lots of spare time. I reckon you get it to 150 very easily and not much money but im not telling how lol

alan b
31-08-07, 11:41 AM
just thinking about this wouldnt the nova 1.2spi exhaust manifold be perfect for turboing? as where is bolts to the downpipe theyve all joined together? could you use the exhaust manifold on a gsi engine?

Adam
31-08-07, 12:22 PM
Yeah, but youd need someone of matching a turbo flange to the bolt pattern of the downpipe.

gunny
31-08-07, 01:28 PM
can be done