PDA

View Full Version : How do i remove a Catalytic converter

AphiD
03-05-02, 10:30 AM
I found out the other day My 1992 Luxe+ has a Catalytic converter on it x-( Would anyone be able to tell me how to remove it. I hear its not easy. Aparentley you need to remove the whole Cat system if you want to pass the MOT There seems to be a little wire thingey comming off the manafold which is tied into it. do i have to remove this too? is there anything else i have to remove?

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Dicko
03-05-02, 11:15 AM
you can either replace the whole exhuast system, if find a model which has the same manifold and change the rest of the system that doesnt have a cat!

Doc
03-05-02, 03:21 PM
I think that little "wire thingey" is the MAP (manifold absoloute pressure) sensor. If you want to decat it, i would take it to somewhere like powerflow who will do a professional job, it costs about ?60. If its not done correctly your engine wont run smoothly. ;)

AphiD
03-05-02, 04:12 PM
I just need to remove the Cat and i think the MAP is attached to it

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Stuart
03-05-02, 05:50 PM
you will find that its not a MAP sensor since they are on the inlet manifold (mainly on turbo cars). it is in acctuall fact a narrow band lambda sensor, used to keep the engine at or around stoichometric (spelling) or in laymans terms Lambda 1

Stuart - droll guy with great arse and suicidal tendencies but
great in bed.

(from MIG)

Dicko
04-05-02, 12:14 PM
hes right, its the lambda sensor, and ur looking at a damn site more than ?60 from powerflow

Doc
08-05-02, 09:35 AM
Bollocks im afraid. They quoted me ?60 to decat my 1.2i at the Leeds centre. That was 1 year ago though.