PDA

View Full Version : Electric window problem

Lee H
27-08-07, 08:45 PM
Car is back from the bodyshop but for some reason the passenger side electric window won't work anymore. Drivers one works fine.

When you press the button you get a click and all the dash lights dim and the motor clicks but does nothing. Also motor is getting really warm.

I've swapped the switches but both are fine. I've ran the wires from the drivers door motor and that will then work the passenger motor so that is fine too. Anything else I can check?

Cheers

Clean 2.0 nova
27-08-07, 09:25 PM
Sounds like youv'e done the basic checks. You've probabley got the full 12V going to the motor if your lights dim as this shows it is taking / getting a decent current suppply. Assuming you have tried 'helping' the window to move, the next step is to remove and test motor on its own.

P.S. nice looking black GSI on link

Lee H
27-08-07, 10:26 PM
Sounds like youv'e done the basic checks. You've probabley got the full 12V going to the motor if your lights dim as this shows it is taking / getting a decent current suppply. Assuming you have tried 'helping' the window to move, the next step is to remove and test motor on its own.

P.S. nice looking black GSI on link

Motor works fine when running wires from the drivers door to passenger door so i'm guessing the problem can only be the loom.

Cheers, thats the car thats just been repainted.

Clean 2.0 nova
27-08-07, 10:46 PM
just re-read and seen youv'e powered motor from drivers door. So when you get the 'click' from the motor have you tried measuring the voltage from the switch and at the motor, it sounds like a wire on a few strands. Most likely in the door jamb (where the wires constantly flex).

Lee H
27-08-07, 10:54 PM
Nothing to measure voltage with. Think i'm going to strip the loom back and look for damaged wires, should keep me entertained for a few hours.

Adam
27-08-07, 10:56 PM
One of the motor wires must be chafed through,and rubbing an ignition live to cause it to permanently be operating.
I would of said a stuck switch mechanism, but you've already tried that.

Make up a test rig with two wires and a bulb holder, the number plate light holder works well and is easily removeable lol