PDA

View Full Version : electrical tester

nova_paradise
27-08-07, 04:10 AM
right my nova is up for breaking but how ever i might have a life saving plan for it.ive got an electrical tester lined up for 2mro ive never used one before and is that more then likely to tell me what the problem is.
let me state the problem.theres a spark when you turn the ignition on but not wen you crank it over so does anyone else no what this could well be,and like stated above will an electrical tester tell me whats wrong with it??????

bump
27-08-07, 12:44 PM
What is the electrical tester? Multimeter? Spark cap? Clamp meter? Non-contact voltage tester? ECU Code reader?
All are legitimate tools to use, and what each will tell you is different but helps to build up a picture of what is going on.

I would guess that your coil is wired to an ignition live that goes dead on cranking.

nova_paradise
27-08-07, 01:33 PM
well ive got a dignostic test comming 2mro.the bloke said before tho he disconnected a simple wire bloody heck if i know.

bump
27-08-07, 01:50 PM
Try a multimeter on the feed to the coil, at pos 2 on the key you should get 12V I bet on pos 3 it drops to 0v.

That would be the first thing to check IMO.

mowgli
27-08-07, 02:19 PM
Give us some history here, what engine has it got?
is it original or a transplant?
it sounds like the wrong wire is being used from the ignition switch to the coil.... there is only one wire that is live when the ign is on & the starter is engaged. that is the coil wire, everything else turns off for more cranking.