PDA

View Full Version : Nova Electrical Problem

edscott
25-08-07, 06:35 PM
I have an 89 Nova GTE. It has decided it doesn't want to start and I cannot work out why, can anyone on the forum throw any light on it.
Turning over, just won't start. Checked sparking all seems OK. It starts for a second using easystart so the ignition circuit is OK. The fuel pump does not get 12 volts, although the pump itself is OK. We have replaced the fuel pump relay, and testing the circuit we get 12 volts on pin 30, the permanent live, the relay clicks in, but cannot get voltage out. When the relay is removed, we get 0.3 volts in the multiplug which should be the fuel pump positive feed. Removing the connector at the pump, and injectors, shown on the wiring diagram as all connected together, we still get 0.3 volts at the relay multiplug. Not sure what the 5th and 6th connectors on the fuel pump relay actually do, but I assume they are part of the circuit somehow.
Can anyone throw any light on what could be at fault.
Thanks Ed

nova lod.
26-08-07, 11:18 AM
mines is doing the exact same mate its a wee **** of a thing it was going ok until the other day and now it just starts of the choke sumtimes.its doing ma head in av been told from a few folk that it could be problems with the fuil lines beeing chocked or the air flow meter or theirs the temp sensor and a think theirs one on the cam also,plus av been told that sum gte have a fuil cut off switch sum of them,but av no got a clue where it is,this youve probebly already checked but its nippy mate.

Novadaftman
27-08-07, 10:08 AM
Ur fuel cut off switch is located in the fuel tank on sum Novas m8.lift ur bak seat pull up the carpet and u can get access threw there but its a c*nt to get at so gd luck. as for the electrical problem check ur coil m8 mine done the same thing and i checkd all the usual suspectd u hav and it turnd out to be the coil so its worth a go.:thumb:

Adam
27-08-07, 11:47 AM
No nova's have a fuel cut off switch.

Do you get 12v on the red/blue wire from the relay to the pump?

edscott
27-08-07, 07:51 PM
ON the pump relay, we have 12 volts on the permanent live feed in, and only 0.3 volts on the live wire to the pump, which is the red/blue and the relay works OK and clicks when you turn the ignition on.