PDA

View Full Version : A little help needed with my GTE engine.

Matt2107
24-08-07, 04:55 PM
Car has sat for a few years now.

About 6 months ago we fired it up and with a little fuel it ran pretty much straight away although was a little lumpy.

Just tried to fire it up now and no joy.
It wouldn't fire so we swapped the spark plugs for new.

I'm definately getting a spark, definately fuel getting to the rail, engine is turning over but it just won't fire.

Any ideas?

Welsh Dan
24-08-07, 05:15 PM
Did you gap the plugs properly? are the plugs getting wet? how do the contacts inside the dizzy look?

hightower
24-08-07, 07:57 PM
have you done a compression test?

Matt2107
24-08-07, 08:57 PM
Good news... well semi good news.

Managed to get it running.
I think the existing petrol was shagged so we put in another tenners worth and jumped it from my GF's mondeo.

I think the decent petrol and extra power from the battery was enough to get it started.

It's idling a little lumpy and I think its probably a dirty inlet thats the problem but I also seem to be getting some back pressure coming up the inlet... causing it to pop. Seems to do it more when it gets hot.

Also I wondered if the FSE Power Boost valve is contributing towards its bad idling.

Timmy
25-08-07, 12:40 AM
it may just need the combwebs blowing though get it out and give it a good spanking with sime injechion clean in there ring me sunday if still not joy

Adam
25-08-07, 12:43 AM
Yeah the fse could have something to do with it, as it'll be messing with the fuel pressure.
Use the standard regulator, make sure the vacuum lines on it too.

Matt2107
26-08-07, 05:56 PM
Decided to go ahead with the conversion and worry about getting the idle right afterwards.

A few more questions though.

The 1.6 is sat on the crane waiting to go in but do I need to change the fuel lines? I know I have to swap the tank and pump.
Also am I right in thinking that I need to swap the throttle cable over at some stage?

Adam
26-08-07, 05:58 PM
You will need a gte throttle cable.
What engine did the car have originall? Carb?

Matt2107
26-08-07, 06:00 PM
yep carb 1.2

Adam
26-08-07, 06:03 PM
The fuel lines "should" be fine.
Just check for any leaks when you use the new engine, as they'll be running at a higher pressure.

A gte engine has screw on fuel unions too, which your carb lines wont have.

Matt2107
26-08-07, 06:11 PM
Cheers chap.