PDA

View Full Version : whirring noise on startup

ade
30-04-02, 11:15 PM
My 1.2 MK 2 has developed a strange whirring noise when I start her up. Its weird to explain but as soon as the key is turned and released when the engine catches it aoccures for about 3 seconds. Its like if you turn your key when the engine is on - similar noise but not has harsh.
Is it the starter motor and is it on it way out? How easy/much to replace and where is it on the engine...
ade

Dicko
30-04-02, 11:44 PM
alternator belt slipping?
try to tighten it up

GR
01-05-02, 08:48 AM
Alternator belt screeches v. high pitched when its slippin, i doubt it's that.

It could well be the alternator itself rattles for a few seconds while the engine warms up etc .

Vauxhall Nova - Defined in Spain
REFINED IN ENGLAND.

Grant@TranceAddict.Net

ade
01-05-02, 09:36 AM
it's not the belt, I've recently changed it and it was doing it before that. Alternator used to make a whishing noise but a squirt of wd40 sorted that. Read haynes and they didnt really cover anything but said starter motor had a pinoin/fly wheel? wondered if that could be it. It is quite loud and seems to be coming from the drivers side of the engine bay. I really need someone to start the car while I'm in the engine bay but its intermittent...

Damian Coull
01-05-02, 10:34 AM
could be the starter motor sticking on start up mine does this. if it is the starter you need to get it sorted or you will fuck up your flywheel

conroy
01-05-02, 11:02 AM
To be honest it could be the fly belt. Thats the belt which connects power from the fly wheel to the alternator. These belts normally strech and slip making a whirring noise. There is a bolt which you can undo to adjust the belt, its in the hanes manual. :D

GR
01-05-02, 11:14 AM
Its a 13mm spanner to tighten it if i remember right ?

REFINED IN ENGLAND.

Grant@TranceAddict.Net

conroy
01-05-02, 12:29 PM
infact it was a 14 on a rench with extentions.

conroy
01-05-02, 12:30 PM
LOL

rob.slader
01-05-02, 12:38 PM
Sounds like the starter motor is running on after the engine fires. This means it's on it's way out. It will last for ages like this, depends if you can put up with the naff noise it makes. I'd get a new one.

GR
01-05-02, 02:33 PM
fact - when my fanbelt was slippin, i tightened it with a 13mm spanner, no pissin about with the stuff your on about .

Its easy .

REFINED IN ENGLAND.

Grant@TranceAddict.Net

ade
01-05-02, 10:35 PM
alternator belt is brand new and set correctly (checked). So...is it starter motor ofr alternator. Me thinks need to get a m8 to assist while i poke aboot the engine bay.
Ade

avon_nova
02-05-02, 02:10 AM
I think the solenoid spring on the starter motor's fcuked. It's not strong enuf to pull the pinion back when the engine fires, so keeping it engaged for a couple of secs makin the noise. So yeah get another starter motor.

Will this take long officer?
Cos your wife is expecting me...