PDA

View Full Version : brake fluid? which to use?

puss puss
23-08-07, 10:39 AM
hey,

i drive a nova with standard brake setup and well am getting a tad low on brake fluid so was just wondering what i should get as there are these dots and stuff would dot 4.1 be the best for me?

thanks

-Nat:thumb:

Stuart
23-08-07, 10:46 AM
erm well you either have a fluid leak or your pads are heavily worn... they are the reasons why the fluid level drops.

Just goto hellfrauds and get Dot4 or the higher performance stuff (its like water) for std brakes.

if you are intending track use etc then I'd suggest something like Motul RDF600, ATE super blue, Castrol response, AP600 etc.

puss puss
23-08-07, 11:28 AM
darn sounds like i have a leak then as the pads arent very old where are the common places for leaks on brakes? thanks

-Nat

Ernie
23-08-07, 12:07 PM
rubber hose's bud

Stuart
23-08-07, 12:08 PM
and rear cylinders

puss puss
23-08-07, 12:15 PM
ok would it be worth upgrading these rubber hoses since am down there anyway? i do intend on putting 2l brakes on at some point in life

-Nat

Dan 130
23-08-07, 01:23 PM
if your pads are fairly new is there a possibilty that the level wasnt topped up after the brakes were done?

craig green
23-08-07, 01:33 PM
New standard rubber flexis are an improvement over old ones & available from motorfactors.

I keep hearing bad stories about braided stuff, seeing as they arent cheap its worth considering std rubber ones.

Stuart
23-08-07, 02:08 PM
bad stories such as?

_JH_
23-08-07, 02:43 PM
If you make up the braided hoses yourself and you don't know what your doing you'll probably write your own bad story.

I've not heard of a ready made set ever failing, (or a home made one actually) well worth the few extra dollars IMO :)

Stuart
23-08-07, 03:00 PM
indeed if you are a tard and make your own badly then yeah you can die but wouldnt have thought a part manufacturer would want to sell stuff that could kill folks... the lawsuits might cost a bit of cash on that front.

craig green
23-08-07, 04:49 PM
I keep hearing of kinked up braided lines on the front end, I also saw a pic of one that had rubbed through & lost fluid obviously with potentially catastrophic results.

Not everyday you hear it but worth knowing IMO. I must say the Goodridge ones look pants IMO compared with the MOCAL ones I had (but never fitted).

Like I said before, new rubber ones would make an improvement over old worn ones.....

EDIT; All the braided ones usually carry a disclaimer that states they are NOT intended for road use. Make of that what you will.

Stuart
23-08-07, 06:38 PM
its just that theyve not gone down the mega cash route of type approval thats all.

To be fair you need to be a complete gimp to fit them so they kink up.

Lee
23-08-07, 06:49 PM
I keep hearing of kinked up braided lines on the front end, I also saw a pic of one that had rubbed through & lost fluid obviously with potentially catastrophic results.

Not everyday you hear it but worth knowing IMO. I must say the Goodridge ones look pants IMO compared with the MOCAL ones I had (but never fitted).

Like I said before, new rubber ones would make an improvement over old worn ones.....

EDIT; All the braided ones usually carry a disclaimer that states they are NOT intended for road use. Make of that what you will.

If some monkey managed to wear through a braided line by fitting it wrong, im pretty sure a rubber one would have faired worse in the same situation.

puss puss
24-08-07, 04:17 PM
thanks for the answers people