PDA

View Full Version : rear brakes locking

dj_wudgey
20-08-07, 03:55 PM
right me problem is when i jump on my brakes sharp the rear 2 wheels seem to want to lock up ive looked to see if there rubbing and the right side is but barely but also one thing i missed when i jump on the breaks it goes from being a soft pedal that wants to go virtually all the way down to a rock hard pedal???? anyone know why ???. im wondering has any one else had the same problem if so any one know how to cure it ??????????????????

thanks for your help :thumb:

Welsh Dan
20-08-07, 04:08 PM
Assuming you have rear drum brakes, and that you have matching tyres all round:

The drums could be out of round, or the front brakes could be contaminated or have really really really bad pads on them.

dj_wudgey
20-08-07, 06:21 PM
thanks matey

dj_wudgey
22-08-07, 12:12 PM
bttt

craig green
22-08-07, 01:07 PM
Check the rear wheel cylinders. These are the actuators for the rear pads in the main hydraulic braking circuit. When I had some fail, the rears kept locking up.

Dripping brake fluid from within the drum was a givewaway.

dj_wudgey
23-08-07, 01:22 AM
thanks mate ive had them apart there was no leaking fluid but they may be buggard any way well it looks like im just going to change afew off the components and see what helps

thanks allot mate

mowgli
23-08-07, 09:24 PM
Have you put different calipers on the front?
Have you checked the front calipers are ok?
do they need bleeding?

dj_wudgey
25-08-07, 11:01 AM
yea come to think they may i had the mot station that passed it do the but they wer never much good ill just have to do it myself lol well thatnks a bundle mate

thanks

Steve
25-08-07, 01:17 PM
Ive got a very similar problem mate, on my 1.2 the rear drums seem to bind, as in when you got to pull away you feel the rear right side sticking, apparently it was adjusted for its last MOT but obviously not very well!

My 1.6 had 2.0 brakes fitted and ever since you can drive it normally with a firm pedal, and after a while its goes soft, and travels alot further, took it round a couple of garages and they reckon its the servo not applying enough pressure, already had the brakes bled but hasnt seemed to cure it.

dj_wudgey
26-08-07, 09:47 PM
Ive got a very similar problem mate, on my 1.2 the rear drums seem to bind, as in when you got to pull away you feel the rear right side sticking, apparently it was adjusted for its last MOT but obviously not very well!

My 1.6 had 2.0 brakes fitted and ever since you can drive it normally with a firm pedal, and after a while its goes soft, and travels alot further, took it round a couple of garages and they reckon its the servo not applying enough pressure, already had the brakes bled but hasnt seemed to cure it.

that sounds like mine my brake is binding slightly but my pedal goes further when i jump on it suddenly so that could be the problem the well ill have to work through them and eliminate what it could be one by one

thanks for the help mate

dj_wudgey
29-08-07, 12:01 PM
bttt