PDA

View Full Version : Astra Vxr!!

GRUNT 16V
20-08-07, 03:21 PM
JUST HAD ONE COME IN TO THE BODYSHOP WHERE I WORK AND IT HAS A DUEL FUEL CONVERSIONlol lol lol lol lol lol JUST THOUGHT I WOULD SHARE IT WITH YOU!!!! I CANT STOP LAUGHING!!!lol lol lol WHAT A MUPPET!!!!

Kinky Monza
20-08-07, 03:59 PM
Oh dear lol sounds like a moron who's ruined a decent car!

Jack
20-08-07, 05:22 PM
Thats funny because? :confused:

Stoo
20-08-07, 05:45 PM
Im also struggling to see the funny side of cheaper fuel, without a HUGE reduction in performance, extended range and possibly cheaper insurance with a more environmentally friendly output!

And why did tou have to shout it?

Mike
20-08-07, 05:47 PM
Im also struggling to see the funny side of cheaper fuel...

3rd'ed

Altho i do see the funny side of some twunt pranging a brand new car lol just makes me wish i had a brand new car to be able to prang :D

Jack
20-08-07, 05:55 PM
Plus, if its a VXT, you do realise LPG works very well on turbo engines... Was considering it on the GT4 but I don't trust the government to keep the duty low on it beyond 2009

John
20-08-07, 07:29 PM
there was a zafira gsi at this years pvs show, running gas and 16 second quarters iirc.

Kinky Monza
20-08-07, 07:57 PM
Plus, if its a VXT, you do realise LPG works very well on turbo engines... Was considering it on the GT4 but I don't trust the government to keep the duty low on it beyond 2009

Most if not all of the VXRs are turbo'd iirc

Stoo
20-08-07, 09:31 PM
Most if not all of the VXRs are turbo'd iirc

and that has exactly what to do with jacks post???

Stuart
20-08-07, 09:45 PM
indeedy, LPG has a higher octane rating and possibly more energy per unit than normal SUL so would make a turbo engine perform better (if mapped for it).

or run on STD performance and get an increase in MPG.. Win win.

Kinky Monza
20-08-07, 09:57 PM
and that has exactly what to do with jacks post???

Forgotten why i said it tbh

Jack
20-08-07, 10:29 PM
indeedy, LPG has a higher octane rating and possibly more energy per unit than normal SUL so would make a turbo engine perform better (if mapped for it).

or run on STD performance and get an increase in MPG.. Win win.
Ahhh... I thought they had less energy but better RON so better resistance to pre detonation, hence being good for turbos.

To be fair Tracies post does have some validity as for some reason I thought he was talking about a VX220, not sure why lol

But still.... it'd make sense to gas it

Kinky Monza
20-08-07, 10:40 PM
Glad you think that Jack, cos i haven't got a bloody clue what i was talking about

GRUNT 16V
21-08-07, 08:07 AM
i was thinking that it was defeating the object of a VXR thats all !!! god everyone is so bitchy!!!!!lol lol lol

Stuart
21-08-07, 08:11 AM
erm no, you were the bitchy one thinking it was a stupid idea without understanding the "other" reasons....

Acutally jack, youre right, its got less calorific energy but better det restitance so more boost/advance can be used and gain power while running on cheaper fuel... SCORE!!

GRUNT 16V
21-08-07, 08:42 AM
ooooooooooooo i just thought it was a tad wierd not being bitchy bud??????:confused: :confused:

Jack
21-08-07, 09:04 AM
I think as forfeit you should pay ?10 and join the club :p lol

GRUNT 16V
21-08-07, 09:21 AM
lol do they take cheques?????lol tell me the address and i will send one!!

Jack
21-08-07, 09:49 AM
PM Lee (Bottlethroddy), Dan, Kev, or Ian to sort payment out ;)

Andy_L
21-08-07, 01:18 PM
What octane rating is LPG then??

I take it it's different to E85 or is it the same thing :confused:

On the subject of E85 I still don't get why more performance cars don't run this as it's a higher octane rating than pump fuel

Jack
21-08-07, 02:28 PM
LPG is somewhere around 100-111 iirc. Its different to E85 - thats just petrol with ethanol added, where as LPG is gas (made up of Butane and something else - propane possibly) held under pressure so it liquifies.

E85 has a RON of something like 105, but again has a lower calorific value due to the ethanol in it. iirc Tesco's 99RON fuel has a large (larger than normal petrol anyway) percentage of ethanol in it to up the RON. Plus its quite corrosive and conductive, so not ideal for usage in cars that aren't designed for it.

As said in previous threads, higher RON is only really worthwhile in cars where the ECU can adjust the timing to compensate, and even then usually best used on cars with forced induction. Putting V-Power or BP's 102 RON super duper unleaded in (for example) a 1.2 nova would probably make it run less efficiently than just using normal 95RON unleaded!

...plus, as I've always maintained, biofuels will kill us all indirectly lol

Stuart
21-08-07, 02:44 PM
getting hold of biofuel in the UK is a bit of a pig, as is the same ove rmost of europe so manufacturers wont make special "supercars" per region... its different for volvo and ford with sweeden and south america as the volumes are high but youre only going to sell what 3-5 per country of say a ferrari..