PDA

View Full Version : is it worth it

chrisdovey
19-08-07, 09:28 PM
just wondering if i do all the things i want to my nova am i actually going to make any of the money back.
i have a mk 1 nova 1.4 sr. font wing are rusted and rear wheel arches, also top of rear spring mounts.
thing i shall be getting:

rear arch repair panel ?40
front wings ?50
weld rear suspension mounts ???
poly bushes around ?110
coilovers ?240
rear disc beam ?160
k&n getting for ?10
strut brace ?30
cav 16v front brakes ?70
cam ?100
speedlines ?350
4-1 manifold ?110
am i really going to improve the value of the car. will it really be worth me doing this?
or is it just a waste of money

chris

BigStan
19-08-07, 10:31 PM
The car will be worth more but you will probably never will get back what you spent on it, even if you break it after you're done with it i cant see it either. lol

The improvements will only really be done for your own personal pleasure :thumb:

dannyb
20-08-07, 12:12 AM
You never get back what you spent on it. Consider the money written off and anything extra the car is worth when you sell it a bonus. A harsh reality unfortunately mate :(

RJM25R
20-08-07, 08:38 AM
as above, the price you pay for being a n enthusiast!

Jack
20-08-07, 08:56 AM
Cleaning up the car, i.e. new arches to remove rust, may add value but probably not quite to the amount you spend doing the work. Mods don't usually add value, you're best off keeping the OEM parts and restoring those when you come to sell (and sell the mods on separately).

peester
20-08-07, 09:16 AM
something you can't predict; if you keep the bodywork standard and keep it 1.4 SR engine with those goodies on youve mentioned; you may do.. theres some crazy people out there.. lol

JSeymour
20-08-07, 11:07 AM
its a hobby, what other hobbies do you know of where you make money back? none.

bump
20-08-07, 11:12 AM
Pimping is a quite profitable hobby ;)

TBH, you never get back what you spent on it, even if you don't do anything to it. That's depreciation for you!

Iain
20-08-07, 11:36 AM
If you're worried about losing lots of money, then cut down on some costs - poly bushes can be had for around ?35 instead of ?110 if you don't get Powerflex, 16v brakes can be had for around ?40 second hand...

Jack
20-08-07, 11:49 AM
Erm, quite a few actually - I know a handful of people who build computers and some that develop web and software applications as a hobby, and make money out of it. I daresay Ade's model nova's started out as a hobby as well...

Welsh Dan
20-08-07, 01:00 PM
Erm, quite a few actually - I know a handful of people who build computers and some that develop web and software applications as a hobby, and make money out of it. I daresay Ade's model nova's started out as a hobby as well...

Those are commercial hobbies though.

chrisdovey
20-08-07, 06:07 PM
are the mods that im thinking of doing good ones to do?

Riggy
20-08-07, 06:20 PM
it depends what you are goin to do with the car , just use it for work and back , then no , goin to show or track it then prob yeah ,