PDA

View Full Version : Urgent help with 4.18 CWP

Geth
18-08-07, 07:44 PM
Hey guys, took my car down for an MOT today. It managed to get through but the MOT guy noticed a noise coming from the diff when he spun the wheels. I've had the diff out of the car and checked everything over, no visible problems, but when I put everything back together it was still there. From what I can see the noise is the sound of the crown wheel and pinion meshing together. :confused:

Now I'm pretty sure that the number of teeth on the 4.18 pinion gear is the same as the standard GTE/GSi pinion, but should they be different sizes? Because I'm, pretty sure that mine were the same size when I fitted it a few months back.

_JH_
18-08-07, 08:26 PM
did you fit a matched pair?

sometimes you can have problems if you change only the crown wheel or pinion

hth :)

mowgli
18-08-07, 08:57 PM
Are you sure it isn't the good old wheel bearings playing up? cos that usually sounds like its a final drive problem.

Geth
18-08-07, 09:55 PM
Defintately not the wheel bearing. It had crossed my mind too but I've stood under the car with the diff cover off and the sound is obviously coming from the the cwp.

The thing about them being a matched pair is one of my main concerns really. I bought it off a guy who was selling about 6 of them at the time. so it's possible I've got a pinion from a different box to the crown wheel.

The thing that confuses me is that although there does seem to a problem when the wheels are in the air and I can move things by hand, it drives fine on the road. the box is a tad on the noisy side but today is the first time I've driven the car in it's stripped out form, and it always was a bit whinney, even before I changed the CWP.

It's really starting to annoy me now as I'm supposed to be at Llandow on Monday and my car is currently in bits :mad:

Dan
18-08-07, 10:15 PM
geth from what i remember from doing mine the pinion gears were slightly different, stuart is the main man for this one tbh, but to double check count all of the teeth on the pinion gear, and divide the number between the amount of teeth on the crown wheel. That will give you the ratio.

Like i said i am unsure what was different but there was something, be it the actual number of teeth or the size of it ??? Not much help but its a start as its been years since i last did mine

Geth
18-08-07, 10:48 PM
I remember counting the teeth on both the crown wheel and pinion to get the FD ratio and it was spot on. I compared my original pinion with the new one and from what I could see they were identical. I then found a document, either on here on PVG which said that the pinion for both 4.18 and 3.74 FDs had the same number of teeth. But even then, with a bigger crown wheel fitted for the 4.18 FD, surely the pinion would have to be marginaly smaller to compensate?

As it stands the CWP gear is clunking, as if the gears are being pushed together too hard or just not fitting together properly.

Where are you Stuart?! I need that gearbox encyclopedia brain of yours.

garyc
18-08-07, 11:01 PM
Check for any grooves on the CW or P they should match. I've mismached sets without probs. a 418 set doesnt have any grooves at all.

_JH_
19-08-07, 10:00 AM
Best to take it all apart and start again, checking it's all bolted together properly, that the circlip is on right etc and if it still doesn't work either put up with it or try another cwp tbh

As I understand it, mis-matched pairs only cause long term probs like premature wearing of teeth etc, not immediate nioses like this.

What gearbox oil are you using?

Ernie
19-08-07, 10:21 AM
hi Geth i have a gte gearbox if you wanted to bung that in so you can drive it tomorrow. i know its not the same gear box but atlease you would be able to get out on track tomorrow let me know fella.

mowgli
19-08-07, 10:54 AM
the pinion gear can't be the same for a 4.18 & any other diff ratio. each ratio has its own matched pair.

Ernie
19-08-07, 11:07 AM
I was offering geth the hole gearbox so that he could get it fitted today and still run tomorrow then fix the other at a later date.

Geth
19-08-07, 01:17 PM
Right, I've swapped the crown wheel back over now and it has improved slightly but still not quite right. I think what I'll do is run it as is for tomorrow. If it lets go it lets go.

Don't worry about the box for now Chris, but what I might do is buy that box off you, build that one up and then fit that box when I'm happy with. Might even invest in a new 4.58CWP from Chris Astley. I'll have a chat with you tomorrow anyway Chris and see what we can sort out.

Ernie
19-08-07, 09:53 PM
Ive wipped it off the engine and have it on the trailer now ggggrrrr.
So i will bring it with me mate and how does ?25 delivered to llandow sound to ya mate.

Ash
19-08-07, 10:29 PM
there is a 4.18FD on ebay atm btw :thumb:

Geth
19-08-07, 11:28 PM
Chris you legend, that's brilliant. I'll bring some cash with me. :thumb:

Ash, Thanks, for the heads up, I'll get bidding. :thumb:

Stuart
20-08-07, 07:43 PM
sorry its late, but the crown wheel should have 71 teeth and the pinon 17 teeth

Geth
20-08-07, 08:39 PM