PDA

View Full Version : Removing Steering Wheel

rob.slader
20-04-02, 08:02 PM
Can anyone suggest the best way of removing a steering wheel from an Nova SR. It's giving me grief. I can't pull it off and don't want to wack it in case the steering column gets damaged. I have tried a couple of times though and it still won't budge.
Cheers.

mowgli
20-04-02, 10:48 PM
there are several answers.
If the old wheel is going to be scrapped, then hacksaw it off.

If you want to keep it and have some time on your hands, take the horn switch out and drench it with WD40.

You should have noticed the two holes near the column. If you get 2 good size bolts ie M10x150 and trim the hex heads down with a grinder/hacksaw, you can then insert them in the holes, twist 90degrees. attach a 2 leg puller and wind.

Or the roughass method which is unwind the column nut nearly all of the way off till it is flush with the end of the column, get a couple of helpers to pull on the wheel, while you give the column a swift clout with a hammer. the people pulling should stop any damage being done to the safety devices built into the column. This method has been used, but I won't actually recommend it for fear of legal action.

djp_y2k
21-04-02, 12:00 AM
The last one that mowgli suggested is what I used. I thought the previous owner had welded it on for a practical joke as it was that hard to get off.

GR
22-04-02, 10:29 AM
dont be afraid to whack the wheel, you won't damage column that easily. short sharp bursts all the way round the wheel with a hammer and it will fly off, jus watch it dont smack u in the chops. Mine hit the rear windscreen.

Vauxhall Nova - Defined in Spain
REFINED IN ENGLAND.

Grant@TranceAddict.Net

rob.slader
25-04-02, 09:51 PM
I've tried pulling it, using a mallet to hit it to loosen it, but it's still stuck. Mine us definatley super glued on! Not sure what to do next? Thanks for the reply's though.