PDA

View Full Version : wiper and washer for MOT??

burgo
17-08-07, 05:11 PM
do you have to have a wiper and washer or is it a case of if its there its got to work?

Adam
17-08-07, 05:23 PM
Im not sure, but 95% yes you'll have to have a front wiper(s), and washer, safety....

burgo
17-08-07, 05:24 PM
only reason i ask is because you dont have to have a windscreen. therefore if you dont have to have a windscreen purhaps you dont have to have wipers?

Lee
17-08-07, 05:25 PM
PMSL, surely you have to have a windscreen!!

Saloony
17-08-07, 05:25 PM
You need them sunshine.

burgo
17-08-07, 05:27 PM
PMSL, surely you have to have a windscreen!!tell caterham stylie owners that

Adam
17-08-07, 05:28 PM
This inspection applies to
All vehicles, except those
. with an opening windscreen, or
. with some other means of providing the driver with an adequate view.

I guess there wont be an adequate view when you cant see a thing due to wind making your eyes water lol

Also:
Check the function of the windscreen

Adam
17-08-07, 05:28 PM
tell caterham stylie owners that They have a "wind deflector" thingy, that diverts wind up and over the car?

Its probably the case that if it came with a windscreen from the factory, it needs one.

burgo
17-08-07, 05:29 PM
this one doesnt and it has an MOT http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/locost-lowcost-caterham-westfield-kit-car-kitcar_W0QQitemZ250154693015QQihZ015QQcategoryZ297 50QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Adam
17-08-07, 05:38 PM
this one doesnt and it has an MOT http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/locost-lowcost-caterham-westfield-kit-car-kitcar_W0QQitemZ250154693015QQihZ015QQcategoryZ297 50QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Its an open top kit car tho.
It doesn't look like it should have a windscreen, and its missing, like it would on a nova.

Mike
17-08-07, 05:40 PM
Ariel atoms dont have a windscreen at all IIRC

Mike
17-08-07, 05:41 PM
No, they dont even have a deflector...

http://wawawoum.images2.free.fr/images/uk/ariel/2003_atom-2_1.jpg

burgo
17-08-07, 05:42 PM
im only asking cos im a lazy ass and cant be assed to put in a washer bottom for the MOT and me wiper arm aint bolted on lol

Dar
17-08-07, 05:49 PM
I've spoken to an MOT tester and he said its not a problem. If the vehicle is presented to them without a screen then they don't have to test the washers or wipers.

ben lee
17-08-07, 05:55 PM
you will need a windscreen,washers and wipers in a road car if you reed the book correctly.

kit cars are diffrent and dont realy need them

burgo
17-08-07, 05:56 PM
bugger. best grab some extra long cable ties then to fit the washer bottle lol

Mike
17-08-07, 06:03 PM
kit cars are diffrent and dont realy need them

Atom/westfield/caterham are not totally kit cars, they can be bought pre built with a normal reg plate (i.e. Not Q plate)

Lee
17-08-07, 06:39 PM
Just because a reliant robin can pass an MOT with only 3 wheels, doesnt mean your Nova will if you pull in with a wheel missing lol

Adam
17-08-07, 07:23 PM
Lol/\

Aye, a nova without a windscreen looks exactly that, like a nova missing a windscreen. lol

A kit/open top sports car that doesn't look like it should have a windscreen, doesn't need one.

burgo
17-08-07, 07:25 PM
purhaps i could get kev to over look it lmao

Dar
17-08-07, 07:51 PM
Go talk to an MOT tester and then you get it from someone who actually KNOWS!!! I did and got you your answer, but it sounds like you need convincing.

Philsutton
17-08-07, 08:21 PM
also your not required to have doors / panels on for an mot either lol

mowgli
17-08-07, 09:10 PM
Atom/westfield/caterham are not totally kit cars, they can be bought pre built with a normal reg plate (i.e. Not Q plate)
The law for small manufacturers & the SVA test are completely different compared to mass production cars.
A mass produced car has to be type approved with things like crash tests & fuel consumption & emission tests. This then allows the manufacturer to simply make them, register & sell them without anybody needing to see if they conform.
A caterham type car still has to satisfy construction & use regs, but the sva test is all that is needed for it to be on the road.

I recently read a mag article about a bloke making a three wheel kit car (like an old morgan with 2 front wheels) & he had all sort of bother with demisting the screen for the test. so he took it off & fitted one of those half moon screens & passed.

carls nova sri
17-08-07, 09:31 PM
well my dads an mot tester and he says it will fail if you have a crack in the wind screen but if you remove the wind screen it will pass as regaurding the wipers and washers if the screens in they need to work if theres no screen then they don"t need to work. also if you remove the passengers wind mirror it will pass.

Lee
17-08-07, 10:04 PM
Thats bloody ridiculous as far as im concerned. A chip in a windscreen will fail as it could be dangerous if it cracks and also reduces the screens strength in an accident. But theyre happy to issua a certificate stating the car is road legal with no fecking screen at all, and let you legally drive up the road grinning with flys stuck in your teeth!

Madness!

bump
17-08-07, 10:24 PM
Ah the true test of Burgoness!

Fixt it? hummnnn, just remove it!

Love it

Philsutton
17-08-07, 11:13 PM
MOT's are a waste of time anyway as they are invalid the minute you drive out of the station and can be made to have another one to prove the car is road worthy straight away again.

burgo
18-08-07, 12:04 PM
well i fitted a washer bottle and wiper and also bodged together a horn lol. just see what it fails on on monday now