PDA

View Full Version : cam belt shuffling

bob
22-04-02, 08:44 PM
right my 1400 engine is in ok and runs etc,but there was a scuffing sound starving the engine, the cam belt is sliding slightly off of the pulley at the top,Ive tried shuffling it back more but it still slides bak into the same position. any ideas?

a car that works properly?- think Im daydreaming...

mrtim
22-04-02, 08:52 PM
could it be its not tensioned right??
maybe need new belt tensioner.
or new belt.

could be wrong.

bob
23-04-02, 07:36 AM
its a brand new belt, tried tightening it 3 times,it seems to always slide into the same position, I was thinking that as my old engine has a different cam belt cover thats wider it was cos this engine is older,but it aint just catching on the cover,its catching on the water pump pulley?

Toby
23-04-02, 09:19 AM
Have you altered anything, like the waterpump, tensioner or changed the cambelt?

My cambelt sits about 2mm over towards the engine on the top pulley, and has fouled the backplate a bit.

bob
23-04-02, 11:12 PM
I fitted new cambelt, and engine etc lol! does it stay tho?- my old engine had a wider cam belt cover, could that solve it?-Im even considering putting the car into a mechanics garage! man I must be desperate!

mowgli
24-04-02, 12:57 AM
Hi please give us a run down on what the new engine is. was it complete or was it a bitser? if the old cambelt cover was bigger why haven't you fitted it? if the water pump is old, the bearings could be shot, that would cause the belt to slide, or if the engine was involved in a smash, or dropped whilst out, the camshaft+pulley could be bent. is the belt correct for the engine no.? there are early and late types

CP
24-04-02, 09:02 AM
Its misalignment of one or some of the various pulleys or a badly manufactured belt. Check that the belt retaining flanges on the crank pulley and i think theres also 1 on the water pump are in place and OK. If the belt is running square on these and all shafts and bearings are OK, then its likley to be the cam pulley. What's prob happening is that it is running slightly out of parallel to the belts and the other pulleys alowing the belt to wander across the pulley. There could be a host of reasons such as the cam shaft worn in its journals etc. Try another belt and make sure that the cam retaining tab at the dizzy end in the cam housing is OK and make sure that you aren't over tightening it ( I take it you know about setting the self adjusting pulley?)I had this on one of my engines and it ran OK apart from wrecking the cover. The cure may end up being a head off and skim and a cam overhaul I'm afraid.

eggy
24-04-02, 09:31 PM
had this when i did my head gasket it drove me mad for two days trying to sort it out. I gave up and towed me car to me mate whos got his own garage , he fitted a new water pump and cam belt tensioner and it cured it . There was a slight dent on one of the teeth on the water pump pulley where i accidently dropped it but i didnt think to check it for dents at the time . He fitted a new cam belt to be sure , cant be to careful when it comes to cambelts

bob
24-04-02, 11:28 PM
ok Im in the process of replacing water pump,after my bro sheared off the cam belt pulley bolt!- so on goes the old top half of my old engines head,and on goes old water pump,1-2hrs of messing round and its almost as if my bro never touched it! with some luck the cars alive tomoro nite. It seems the dustcap was rubbing badly on the cambelt from what I can make out, all I know is this no car lark sucks!