PDA

View Full Version : matching up bilstein shocks

Toby
23-04-02, 09:45 AM
I received a set of Bilstein shocks in the post yesterday from www.tuning.co.uk (who were btw quite helpfull)

The good news is that; the car doesnt "bobble" along the road anymore, the ride seems stiffer and cornering is improved, less noise from the front of the car, the old shocks made a whoosing noise.

The bad news is that going down craters and short tracks in the road still make the car go clunk.

(BTW, the springs are Spax -40mm)

I heard some time ago that the top mounts on the front suspension units can go a bit funny and they can sometimes be the root of the problem, anyone shed any light on this?

Are there any other rubber bits that I can replace to make things a bit tighter and less clunky?

Ive been quoted by Ashford vauxhall spares (www.ashfordvauxhalspares.co.uk) ?450 - ?550 for an early Corsa GSI engine without gearbox, assuming mileage is not astronomical - is this about right?

What is the weight (kgs) of the Corsa engine? - is it a lot more than a 1400? I deliberatly bought billies thinking that they would be ok for extra weight.

Toby

0.Insurance - Done
1.Brakes - Done
2.Suspension - 3/4 Done
3.Engine Bay - 1/2 Done
4.Fuel/Cooling System - :(
5.Engine - :(

bah

blondie
23-04-02, 11:52 AM
I replaced my top mounts, bushes and bumpstops and it still clunks over holes and the like. I dont know what to do next to be honest.

has your nova been in a crash at all? cos if the susp geometry is out then that may be the prob. I know mine has.

Toby
23-04-02, 02:35 PM
I've had the car all lined up with lasers etc.

I was really refering to the dashboard wobbling about.

I guess its just the car showing its age. It just seems so unrefined compared to a mates new Clio.

Ive driven the car about town for a bit to settle in the shocks and things seem to be getting a bit better, less noise from the front at least!

blondie
23-04-02, 02:55 PM
Ive often thought of re-strengthening the dash and trying to get rid of all squeaks etc. I think I'm fightin a losin' battle.

ade
23-04-02, 09:55 PM
I've got 60mm gmax and I noticed several clunks - the main reason being the suspension is alot stiffer and going over any major holes will cause a major shudder simply because of the stiffer suspension. I jous do my best to avoid holes, and drive v slowly on potted roads. you'll also notice squeeks you never knew you had as the suspension slowly shakes things a little more than the previous set.
I think GSi engine is a little lighter however if u go to vauxhall garage and get a brochure, the rear specs may give you weights etc.

Ade

oh now, that is interesting!

ollster
24-04-02, 12:14 AM
does anybody get a click from the door, just above the quater light window. I get it with my 45 series tyres and -30mm courtenay springs and billies, just wondered if there is a cure. I think that it is the top of the door framr hitting the inner frame.

live fast, die young, leave good looking corpse

HOGGE TD
24-04-02, 12:47 AM
Im running -40's with 15" 45/195's. Wait until your ice fucks up, then you'll really notice those irratating squeaks. My dash aint too bad, just one corner nearest the windscreen. Its my rear seat belt mechanisms and door locking pins that do my head in!

mowgli
24-04-02, 01:09 AM
try & avoid the big potholes. the car must be really stiff, and what you are getting is the bodyshell taking the full force of the impact. a strut brace might help (if you have not already got one). a really stiff car is great at high speed (racetrack) but not on the shitty roads that we have to put up with in the UK.
if the billys are adjustable, soften them a bit.

blondie
24-04-02, 10:15 AM
I get that click from the quarter lights, just one of many.

darren
24-04-02, 02:40 PM
Just turn the tunes up, Ive recently fitted a Blistein 40mm kit and my car rattles like fuck but Hey it a Nova it's gonna rattle! It add's to it's character lol

Twitchin like a pigs eye!

Toby
24-04-02, 02:58 PM
How can a strut brace reduce the bodyshell absorbing the impacts into potholes?

I thought that adding a strut brace caused stress to travel to places in the bodywork that wern't engineered to take the stress, then crack?

ollster
24-04-02, 10:52 PM
adding a strut brace would stop the body from flexing as much hence stopping the door from moving and striking the inner frame. Well thats what i would think anyway

live fast, die young, leave good looking corpse