PDA

View Full Version : What will the MOT man say about my slam panel?

Iain
17-08-07, 12:25 PM
It's technically not a structural spot is it? Think it'll be alright like that for its MOT?

http://www.iainel.co.uk/images/forums/SlamPanel1.JPG

http://www.iainel.co.uk/images/forums/SlamPanel2.JPG

GRUNT 16V
17-08-07, 12:57 PM
Not Pretty!!!!!!

bump
17-08-07, 01:01 PM
I say he'll fail it. True it isn't technically structural, but it is very close to a structural point, and he'll probably find something else areound there.

Iain
17-08-07, 01:13 PM
Not Pretty!!!!!!

You can say that again :D

True Mr Bump, suppose it gives off a bad impression, so he'll whip out the biggest screwdriver he has lol

nova ian
17-08-07, 01:15 PM
Doesnt look good, but I think that you should be ok, as theres not really any weight/stress on those particular areas.

Welsh Dan
17-08-07, 01:17 PM
Clean up the rust and then get the fibreglass out lol.

Adam
17-08-07, 01:37 PM
Aye he'll probably fail that, as lts within 30cm of a structural point.

hendrix
17-08-07, 01:59 PM
My old one failed on that :mad:

nova ian
17-08-07, 02:01 PM
If thats the case then, do as Xen0phobiak says, clean it up and get the fiberglass out!!

Or just get it welded

Jack
17-08-07, 02:05 PM
Plus you've got to consider the safety of that - if you were to go head on into something, those rusty points will probably fail completely and send the front panel backwards into the engine bay :(

New front panels aren't that expensive to buy though.

loggyboy
17-08-07, 02:34 PM
Its not within 12 inches of a suspension component and its not expsed (ie someone can hurt themselves on it) so you should get away with it.

-a. Excessive displacement of the body relative to the chassis which might lead to loss of control of the vehicle when driven
b. insecurity of the body or its
supporting members to the chassis so that it is clear that there would be a danger to other road users.
3. Any deliberate modification, excessive corrosion, damage, cracks or inadequate repair of a load bearing body or chassis member which seriously affects its strength within 30 cm of the body mountings.
Body Condition

loggyboy
17-08-07, 02:35 PM
Aye he'll probably fail that, as lts within 30cm of a structural point.

What structural point, turret is way over 12 inches, and the front tie bar is about the same.

tom reid
17-08-07, 02:45 PM
Cut it out and leave it out, if it's not there they can't fail it.

craig green
17-08-07, 02:47 PM
IMO it shouldnt fail, but then a gain a picky tester might try & yank the headlamps off.

I changed a fr panel on my old 1200 in an afternoon. Panel cost ?35 IIRC from Hadrian panels, available from most auto factors.

Iain
17-08-07, 02:59 PM
Can't be bothered with a new front panel as I expect to only have the car another month really. I'll clean it up and throw a bit of fibreglass on it and hope he doesn't notice lol:thumb:

Cheers for all the replies.

craig green
17-08-07, 03:07 PM
Or duck tape over it...

hendrix
17-08-07, 03:12 PM
I did that with the rear arch on my first nova lol

Adam
17-08-07, 04:06 PM
What structural point, turret is way over 12 inches, and the front tie bar is about the same.
Surely the inner wings are structual? :confused:

Or is the 30cm rule only applied to suspension mounts/seatbelt mounting etc?

loggyboy
17-08-07, 04:09 PM

The wording is 'body mounting' which to me would be suspension arm mounts to chassis. as said above, a picky mot tester will pull u up on it. But they can poke it soif u FG or filler it, make it good. i been inclined to weld a plate in (but you could rivot some metal plate on to it if u cant weld)

ben lee
17-08-07, 05:13 PM
im an mot tetser by trade and would pass it if the headlams are still secure. its not within 30cm of a structual point.

Adam
17-08-07, 05:39 PM
Pm sent/\

Ash
17-08-07, 11:45 PM

Nope, corsa's are basically the same design and ther have plastic arch liners instead.

loggyboy
18-08-07, 09:06 AM
Of course inner wings are structural - ash - your thinking of inner arches.
However the MOT manual states 'excessive corrosion, damage, cracks or inadequate repair of a load bearing body or chassis member which seriously affects its strength within 30 cm of the body mountings'

Now the slam panel isnt part of the load bearing body, its not a chassis member do it doesnt effect the strenght of any body mountings.