PDA

View Full Version : starting probs - HELP!

walsby
23-04-02, 10:17 AM
lo guys and gals, right il explain abit first: a few months back me nova got stolen and they ripped out the ignition, so i had to have a new one fitted when it was recovered! ok for about a month now ive bin havin a bit of trouble startin the damn thing! It first started by it not startin by turning the key all the way round, it woiuld just die, until i gace it some heavy revs! it got worse and i sussed out just to turn the key a little bit of the way round, its bin finr for about 3 weeks, but now its startin to do the same, just turns then dies! Me dads gettin on me cawse to take it back to the garafge that recovered it when it was stolen but it is a long way away and i only wanna go there if i have to! i was wonderin if it could just be a dieing battery? starter motor?, i dont know im no mechanic! if ne1 one is near where i live and they wanna have a look ur most welcome 2, il make it worth ur while (a few quid), more important i need the advice of all u clever people!

Cheers Alan

P.S. how much can i get a decent battery for?

walsby@hotmail.com

Alex
23-04-02, 11:01 AM
does the dashboard light up sometimes without the key at all (say if you hit the dash)?

walsby
23-04-02, 11:09 AM
dash is fine, lights up when key turns just before u turn to ignite! and i haven't tryed hitting it :-/

walsby@hotmail.com

walsby
23-04-02, 11:14 AM
would it cost me a bomb to take it to a more loca garage to find out the problem?

walsby@hotmail.com

apples
23-04-02, 11:48 PM
sounds like the switch that the ignition barrel goes into is fucked. when your car was stolen the thieving little scum would have pulled this off the ignition barrel and shoved a screw driver in it to start it, this means your ignition barrel no longer fits as well as it used to.

mowgli
24-04-02, 01:02 AM
yeah, go & buy a new switch and get someone to fit it. an auto electrician won't be very expensive (yellow Pages) ring one direct. that way, the garage won't get one & stick a huge markup on the price.

walsby
24-04-02, 12:41 PM
that might b the reason, last night the car completely died, luckily this was at the petrol station a few hundred yards away from my house but with some lil bastard hills to push the fucker up! Me and me m8 pushed while me dad drove it (i now realise how unfit i realy am :D). so off i went to halfords and got a heavy duty battery, put it in and nthin, not even dash lights up!

How much does one of these switches cost?
Where do i get one?

P.S the garage who fitted the new ignition stuff should hav surely replaced this? and do i ring them to complain as it should b under warrenty?

Cheers All

Alan

walsby@hotmail.com

apples
24-04-02, 08:30 PM
the switch would fit in your pocket if you went to scrappies. get a haynes book and do it yourself, its not that hard and would be the cheapest way of doing it.