PDA

View Full Version : xe novas

dave.gsi
15-08-07, 07:45 PM
how easy are they to work on with the engine in situ?

can you get the clutch out for example with the engine in?

and what jobs need the engine removing to get access too?

Philsutton
15-08-07, 07:48 PM
you can do everything with the engine in, its just alot harder to do certain things i.e cam belt.

Lee H
16-08-07, 08:36 AM
Water pump is probably one of the harder jobs as you either need to raise or lower the engine to manouver the pump out. Cambelt is fairly easy to do in situ, just one of the cambelt cover bolts is an **** to get in and out.

Clutch can be done with the engine and gearbox still on its mounts as long as its got the flat type flywheel and not the pot type one.

Will F
16-08-07, 08:44 AM
Also seems to depend on what mounts are used...

I.E, sometimes the engine sits in a slightly different position and some things can be a NIGHTMARE (one time I had to partially strip the engine to get the alt out!) another time it fell out!

clutch is easy ONLY with the flat fly, I tend to swap fthe pot type for them when I am doing a conversion!

mayhem
16-08-07, 12:35 PM
Water pump is probably one of the harder jobs as you either need to raise or lower the engine to manouver the pump out. Cambelt is fairly easy to do in situ, just one of the cambelt cover bolts is an **** to get in and out.

Clutch can be done with the engine and gearbox still on its mounts as long as its got the flat type flywheel and not the pot type one.

??

i did my waterpump without raising or lowering the engine.. a bit like: up, down, left, right, rotate, left, rotate, up, rotate.....

my biggest issue was that black plate behind the belt. (older type c20xe)

GRUNT 16V
16-08-07, 12:38 PM
my water pump was a slag!!!!! but the clutch is as simple as doing it on a 1.2 !!

Paul
16-08-07, 02:16 PM
i like working on them in there, only troublesome bits is the cambelt area.

Will F
16-08-07, 02:25 PM
The above highlights what I said... depends on how the engine is mounted. I have done 2 water pumps without worry, but I have seen some that look like they would be A tw*t! lol

nova ian
16-08-07, 02:50 PM
Sorry to hijack your thread, but just wondered if anyone knows which flywheel will be in a 20XE, from an Astra GTE 'G reg'??

GRUNT 16V
16-08-07, 03:02 PM
flat type !!

Lee
16-08-07, 09:15 PM
Will speaks the truth, Mine and Dars are a prime example, he seems to have a hell of a lot of room down the cambelt side, whereas mine is definately an engine out job to change it.

Ste L
16-08-07, 11:37 PM
I.E, sometimes the engine sits in a slightly different position and some things can be a NIGHTMARE (one time I had to partially strip the engine to get the alt out!) another time it fell out!

when i did the alt on my old one, it was quite easy, just whipped the driveshafts out, and it came out real easy

Will F
17-08-07, 08:29 AM
when i did the alt on my old one, it was quite easy, just whipped the driveshafts out, and it came out real easy

Indeed, thats what I did on teh 'harder' one. On the 'easy' one, it came out from the top!

Ste L
17-08-07, 10:52 AM
i didn't even bother trying from the top...
might of even been able to, but wads under the car, so thought may aswell..
not really hard to do it that way :lol: