PDA

View Full Version : Shocking! And Tyres

coochiSR
14-08-07, 05:47 PM
Right i am getting really annoyed with the awful rid my Nova is giving me on just springs. I just want to get a decent kit that will improve the rid and stop it jumping/skipping round corner's On a bit of a budget on buying the kit, but say my budget is ?200 on the kit, what would be the best kit to get and is it worth polybushing the whole car at same time?

AND

Thinking about getting some Polybushes from www.rallydesign.co.uk (http://www.rallydesign.co.uk) and was wondering what the difference between Polysport/Polyclassic/Superflex against Polyrace. I think Polyrace are more stiffer for Track use? Guessing as it's gonna be more a road car than track car I should get Polysport?

AND

I've decided to get my Steelies powder coated and done professionally and was just wondering what size tyres would be best on them? At the mo they are 165/65R14, which aren't bad but im sure i can do better, was thinking along the lines of 175/55R14 Directional's all round???

coochiSR
15-08-07, 06:54 PM
Any help?

Welsh Dan
15-08-07, 09:45 PM
What width are the steelies?

chris gsi
15-08-07, 10:33 PM
not sure on the suspension kit but you could try and get shocks to match your springs and i fitted the pollyrace bushes to mine and they made a lot of difference to mine but mine is a track car only and for the tyres meny years ago when i had a sr on 14" i used 185-55-14 same as 106 gti saxo vtr hope this helps

Will F
16-08-07, 08:52 AM
For ?200 you are better off getting a decent second hand pair, cos its not really enough for a brand new set...

Just get adjustable Koni/Bilstein/Spax etc with matched springs.

There was someone (Scooby?) that was selling brand new Spax coilover kits for ?250, which is a feckin barg for what you are getting.....

loggyboy
16-08-07, 01:29 PM
have u removed the front ARB? of not you should.

What ever shocks you buy makje sure they are ajustable, that way you can taylor the ride to your preference and change it if you are doing something specific (soft for long journey or everyday use, hard for trackdays etc)

The 3 types of bushes that RALDES do are Red - very hard (race), yellow - hard (Road) and black - hard (but for classic cars that dont want them to stand out)

Paul
16-08-07, 01:52 PM
buy bush set for ?90 off of flo-flex, thats full car set! then buy a decent set of second hand shocks, such as bilstein/koni/spax for probably about ?100-120. and you will not beleive the difference over just springs on 100k old dampers! lol

coochiSR
16-08-07, 05:04 PM
Im unsure on width of wheels, will find out later, Xeno

Hopefully it will aslong as they fit Chris.

Thanks for the advice, hopefully i can find some adjustable ones Will

Loggy, why is removing Frony ARB good, i didn't really notice difference, although i am running front strut brace. And looks like i want yellow, which is what i thought.

Paul, What's included in full set, ARB? TCA? TRE? Rear Beam? And yeah why does that not surprise me :D

And another question is, Are all adjustable suspension kits Coilover's?

Paul
16-08-07, 05:44 PM
no coilovers are stiffness and height adjustable, 'adjustable's' are stifness adjustable only.

If you go onto: http://www.deflex.co.uk/cgi-bin/deflexshop/deflexshop.cgi but its on the 2nd to last page you will see whats included.

Paul

Adam
16-08-07, 05:55 PM
SR steelies are 5J width.

Welsh Dan
16-08-07, 06:17 PM
They're a bit balloon like, but the grip from these is great compared to other tyres I've tried:

http://www.xen0phobiak.f2s.com/novaload/F1.jpg

freeman88
16-08-07, 06:39 PM
i got a 60/40 kit uprated shocks n struts for 140.00 inc postage

pm me if your interested ill send you a link to the guy i got them from

coochiSR
16-08-07, 07:25 PM
Thanks Ad, just found that out! lolz And okies Paul will do! and what ya mean by 60/40 Freeman?

Welsh Dan
16-08-07, 11:29 PM
I'm guessing he means 60mm drop one end, 40mm the other.

loggyboy
17-08-07, 11:11 AM
Loggy, why is removing Frony ARB good, i didn't really notice difference, although i am running front strut brace. And looks like i want yellow, which is what i thought.

An ARB works by lifting the wheel that is NOT under load, in an attempt to level the car when corering hard. Unfortunately this has the negative effect of reducing the weight on the wheel that is not underload, therefore reducing the amount of grip it is giving, which can lead to less turing grip and more importantly, allow the wheel to loose traction and induce wheel spin (this can be counted by using an ATB or LS Differential.)

buy bush set for ?90 off of flo-flex, thats full car set! then

The RALDES set costs just over ?30 and includes Front track arm, tie bars and rear beams - all the essentials)

coochiSR
18-08-07, 11:25 AM
Ooooo ok then, Cheers Loggy. I thought the whole point of a stiff front ARB is to help aid understeer though, so wouldn't taking it off create understeer?

Welsh Dan
18-08-07, 03:32 PM
The whole point of a stiff front ARB is to reduce bodyroll at the front, as per description really lol. There is a big debate as to if novas handle better with or without a front ARB, but thegeneral concencus is that standard suspension benefits from one, but stiffened suspension does not.

craig green
18-08-07, 03:38 PM
I'd go for 185/55 tyres..

I've had similar troubles with bouncy skippy crap suspension. I spent so much on different dampers & numerous springs. In the end the best I found was KONI adjustables & their springs.

I've got some eibach springs for sale which are barely used. I'm hoping to move my KONI's on aswell so I can get coilovers to match the rear ones.

Most of the cheap suspension out there is billy bolt on, boyracer tat that is far too soft.

coochiSR
18-08-07, 04:01 PM
Yeah i know, Not sure what make my springs are, might be PI, but CG, when you planning on getting coilys? Might wait for you set up :D