PDA

View Full Version : extra power in a 1.2

ade
20-04-02, 03:15 PM
K before you all laugh and advise get another engine I dont want to yet (cost for one thing), however wots a modest mod u can do to 1.2 (MK2 not injection) to get a little more power from following?
1. Change air intake (have standard one at mo)
or
2 new zorst.
If air intake - which one (read somewhere on articles need to change carb jets)
If zorst which? full system or just manifold/back box.
Remember - just a MK2 1.2 - I'm not looking for major improvements, just a little extra - for now...

Ade

oh now, that is interesting!

Stuart
20-04-02, 07:32 PM
in all honesty and with todays refinements 100 hp per liter is achieveable. head work with suitable exhaust and inlet systems will let it happen

Stuart - droll guy with great arse and suicidal tendencies but
great in bed.

(from MIG)

mowgli
20-04-02, 10:56 PM
go and buy a 1.3 manifold+frontpipe.
The manifold is the same on mk1/mk2 1.3 astras so a scrappy should be cheap. get the front pipe from qwakfit etc.
while you are at the scrappy, get enough heater ducts to get a cold air feed to the std air filter box. it might not look pretty, but it will help on the road.
those mods probably cost ?30

ade
21-04-02, 12:13 PM
so... if I attach a duct hose from behind the grill to the front of the air intake nossel (?) increasing air to air filter will that help - or will it hinder?

Just checked out my existing manifold - can't even recognise the manidold bolts for all the rust on the manifold itself!

Ade

oh now, that is interesting!

Dave
21-04-02, 02:43 PM
In the long run its better to swap the engine and mod something with a bigger cc. by the time you have forked out on mods for the 1.2 it probably would have been cheaper to swap the engine.

visit www.cambscruise.co.uk
and like it!!!!

mowgli
21-04-02, 11:55 PM
I ran a 1.2 carb model for 80000 miles
, If you fit an air hose from the gap next to the rad to the airbox it helps with long distance fast road speed, I once did 75 miles in 50 minutes on single carriageway roads, that is fast. Fitting big engines is all well and good if you can afford the insurance. sticking std parts (even if they are off a bigger engine) on your car is cheaper on insurance.
If you want to tune, then think about a bigger engine

AphiD
23-04-02, 12:53 PM
I agree with Mickey I did an engine transplant when I blew out the last one in a 1/4 mile run...
Lump= ?250 for a 1.4i 40,000 miles on clock
Fitting= ?150 to ?200 depending on the mechanic.

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity