PDA

View Full Version : Opinions

scott.parker
13-08-07, 08:42 PM
Right then.........

After Neil (novaneil) came round the other day we got my car started to show his mate, as he was going to buy the engine of me..

Well it was no pretty sight, it started it stopped it popped it banged, flames jumped out the trumpets, it was chucking out fuel (plumes of white smoke and flames out the back) so I thought hum I doubt he will want it!

Though he said if you can get it running right then I will, but it was one of the reasons I was trying to get rid, cant be ****d to try spend time and money on it etc...

Neil said he could get a mate to sort it, but I though I would call Dar and tell him what had happened, so Dar said well I have all the gear and have just set mine up (and after a long chat while he worked on his car) he's offered to come up and set it up (food beer, tea, money given for time)

So...first thought was, I could re-shell the engine into a mk3 Astra as I have a huge BTB touring spec manifold for one..

But then I realised I have everything I need to make a track day Corsa (minus the important shell)

So I’m stuck, do I sell all my parts or re-ignite the fire and go xe Corsa!

Scott

Philsutton
13-08-07, 08:45 PM
whats up with the nova? no good to keep it in that? Corsa are dirt cheap for mint shells hence why why I have one an imo handle a bit better than novas.

Ste L
13-08-07, 08:55 PM
go corsa scott, i prefer my corsa to my nova's..

dunno why, i even perfer the look, even though it's a girly bubble lol

Philsutton
13-08-07, 08:56 PM
they are girls cars though lol

scott.parker
13-08-07, 08:56 PM
The shell is shot mate...

Would coast over ?500 to get sorted through m.o.t (or lots of hasstle for a mate to do time wise...)

Then i need to get new front wings new rear quaters, new headlight surrounds, new front panle, welding around old repairs in boot (rear panle, both corners) then i would want a respray etc...im ashamed of my self for letting it go, and thats halth the problem it hurts to look at it, and i want it gone lol..

Scott

Ste L
13-08-07, 08:58 PM
defo go corsa then, just for ease of work...

simple mod's make them look good

and when stripped, there's not much diff in weight either between them

scott.parker
13-08-07, 09:02 PM
Well thats the thing,no messing with welding the bay etc, i am right in thinking you dont need to do it like you do in novas?

Scott

Ste L
13-08-07, 09:04 PM
i'd weld a few strenghening plates on if your tracking it..
they aint that dear, but will help with handling, due to making that little bit stiffer

think it's only 6 plates on the front cross member, no wleding on inner wings etc etc

Philsutton
13-08-07, 09:04 PM
yes you do need to do it, corsas are a bit stronger but ive still had them come into the garage where they have pulled the cross member off.

General Baxter
13-08-07, 09:06 PM
whats up with the nova? no good to keep it in that? Corsa are dirt cheap for mint shells hence why why I have one an imo handle a bit better than novas.

you try finding a mint 3 door TD,

finding a 3door Td is hard enough lol

Philsutton
13-08-07, 09:08 PM
yeah but they are crap anyway, why not get a 5 door one. I mean if your buying a diesel your not make yourself look cool anyway lol

scott.parker
13-08-07, 09:10 PM
Well im sure i know a man who can! lol

So as long as it's nothing major...i just cant be botherd to keep spending spending spending...

I did it so so wrong the first time round,but thats what im thinking i have ????'s of kit so i guess i should give it a go...

Scott

General Baxter
13-08-07, 09:11 PM
diesel its the future

when all the petrol runs out, i can still use chip shop oil lol

Ste L
13-08-07, 09:12 PM
this all the strenghening kit is for a corsa...

http://www.chrisastleymotorsport.co.uk/images/CBTCSK.jpg

quiet a few less plates than a nova one lol

Ste L
13-08-07, 09:13 PM
oh yes, you said you have everything to fit it in a corsa

have you got a corsa mount kit and drive shafts, as both are diff to nova?

scott.parker
13-08-07, 09:20 PM
Can i use the solid mounts from my nova?

Do you mean the steal montings, can i cut the ones of the nova and re weld?

And how are the drive shafts diffrent to the big end one's i have on the nova?

lol

And baxter yes bio oil woks blah blah blah i use it in the passat now fock of to muppet corner if you dont wish to talk ontopic...:p

Scott

Philsutton
13-08-07, 09:22 PM
depends what corse shell you get to what mounts you will need, two main shells the 8v an 16v both have different ways to mount onto the car

peester
13-08-07, 09:29 PM
hmm. I say see how much ??? it costs to get the XE fixed first..??
Corsas can be cool, no doubt.

scott.parker
13-08-07, 09:30 PM
But can i cut the nova monuts out and weld into the corsa etc?

Can you explain the diffrence (pics) phill?

Scott

scott.parker
13-08-07, 09:33 PM
hmm. I say see how much ??? it costs to get the XE fixed first..??
Corsas can be cool, no doubt.

It's not worth messng with my nova..it's shot..

If it's going to coast and be hasstle to fit into a corsa then back to plan break and sell! :(

Philsutton
13-08-07, 09:36 PM
on the 16v shells the rubber mount sits inside the chasis leg an on the 8vs the mount bolts underneath the chasis leg if that makes sense.

scott.parker
13-08-07, 09:41 PM
on the 16v shells the rubber mount sits inside the chasis leg an on the 8vs the mount bolts underneath the chasis leg if that makes sense.

Yeah i get what your saying..

So then phill would you say it's a hard conversion (not for you ,but in terms of whats needed to do)
And is it going to coast me an arm an a leg?

Scott

Philsutton
13-08-07, 09:45 PM
nah its not hard at all, no different than a nova. easier in fact as there is no mod to the chasis leg for the alternator

Ste L
13-08-07, 10:10 PM
Can i use the solid mounts from my nova?

Do you mean the steal montings, can i cut the ones of the nova and re weld?

And how are the drive shafts diffrent to the big end one's i have on the nova?

Scott

as said 16v's have an extra mount needed..

also, nova drive shafts are too short,
cav one's fit though, if use hubs to accept big block cv's

scott.parker
13-08-07, 10:19 PM
as said 16v's have an extra mount needed..

also, nova drive shafts are too short,
cav one's fit though, if use hubs to accept big block cv's

Ok ste, well im running rally X big end shafts on the nova, so the hubs will take the cav shafts..

I'll find out some more about the conversion, then if the engine gets running a traet, i'll be looking for a an Egg...woo! lol

Scott

Rick Draper
13-08-07, 10:28 PM
Go for a kit car.

scott.parker
13-08-07, 10:30 PM
Now..Can you convert a Diesel easy?

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/www/CARS_popup.jsp?nU=0&make=VAUXHALL&model=CORSA&min_pr=75&max_pr=1000&postcode=CV37%209FG&miles=40&max_records=200&modelexact=1&photo=1&hassearched=Y&start=3&distance=20&adcategory=CARS&channel=CARS&id=200731106301040

Scott

scott.parker
13-08-07, 10:37 PM
Go for a kit car.

Thats just stupid..

Did you not read any of the topic?

Mike
13-08-07, 10:56 PM
sh1t matey, last time i saw your nova it was so fresh an clean :( seems a reet shame to break but i know exactly where your coming crom TBH

Ste L
13-08-07, 11:34 PM
Ok ste, well im running rally X big end shafts on the nova, so the hubs will take the cav shafts..

I'll find out some more about the conversion, then if the engine gets running a traet, i'll be looking for a an Egg...woo! lol

Scott

yea cav equal lengh's are best for the conversion ;)
your motorsport hubs should be corsa carrier's as im sure they are same as nova

look no further than here for all info required in fitting an xe into a corsa..
virtually everything covered

http://www.vauxhall-sport-forum.com/phpBB2/20xe-into-a-corsa-t106.html

RJM25R
14-08-07, 08:39 AM
go corsa scott, i prefer my corsa to my nova's..

dunno why, i even perfer the look, even though it's a girly bubble lol

You are incompatible! You will be deleted

Rick Draper
14-08-07, 09:32 AM
Thats just stupid..

Did you not read any of the topic?

Whats the point in having a corsa or a nova as a track day car? The engine would be 100 times better in a kit car. I recon you could do one for a few grand and end up with a far better car overall.

Clearly you are not that interested in going fast around corners though and only along the straights.

Stuart
14-08-07, 10:03 AM
could even just buy a mid 90's kit car for ?2K..... but ricks point about corners stands.

Matt2107
14-08-07, 01:14 PM
Scott you have a pm regarding a shell.

Adam
14-08-07, 01:25 PM
If i was needing a re-shell now id definently use a corsa shell.

kevster
14-08-07, 06:24 PM
sad news scott i can rember looking at this a long time a go and thinking how smart it was . good luck with what ever you choose to do with her , hows the vag comeing on :)

scott.parker
14-08-07, 06:35 PM
Ok i understand what eveyone is saying about the kit car for track days...

But the car would not be just track only..

A. I dont have a tralor (nore a towbar)

B. I really do not want to spend anymore then arround ?600-?900 MAX
in replacing the shell, as i have so many parts (nova related-corsa useable) i iether shell into a corsa, or an imaculate nova!

Scott

Jim
14-08-07, 07:04 PM
If you break the nova shell what would you want for the front bumper?

Lee
14-08-07, 07:05 PM
Whats the point in having a corsa or a nova as a track day car? The engine would be 100 times better in a kit car. I recon you could do one for a few grand and end up with a far better car overall.

Clearly you are not that interested in going fast around corners though and only along the straights.

LOL, coming from someone who is putting 400bhp through the front wheels of a Nova, thats pretty funny!

I think theres a fair few more cars that your engine would be more at home in than Scotts!

scott.parker
14-08-07, 07:17 PM
If you break the nova shell what would you want for the front bumper?

Well...."If" "If" i get rid jim,im sure i would let it go to a good home (someone i know, not some chav) for almost nothing..

Matts got me thinking though, so i will need to wait and see what i want to do next!

LOL Three days ago i was ready to get rid of all of it..then i heard it growl and saw it spit flames.. sad realy how it takes that to get your intrest regained eh..

Scott

Dar
14-08-07, 07:17 PM
Rick, your posts are off topic. Who cares if you consider Novas useless on track or just a plain waste of space. Scott wants to know what to do in his situation. Saying get a kit car is about as useful as saying get an Exige or Caparo T1. He doesn't want to spend or hasn't got the money for it.

EDIT: Scott if the shell is too far gone like you say then get a Corsa as we discussed on the phone:thumb:

Rick Draper
14-08-07, 08:18 PM
TBH if you cannot be ****d and have not been ****d with the nova for years then why bother with putting it in a corsa shell just to not bother with that? Seems a pointless task really.

Rick Draper
14-08-07, 08:21 PM
LOL, coming from someone who is putting 400bhp through the front wheels of a Nova, thats pretty funny!

I think theres a fair few more cars that your engine would be more at home in than Scotts!

I dont intend mine to be used as a track car but if i did and i had caged it i have total confidence it would beat all the novas on here :thumb:. As it stands beating them on the 1/4 and the top speed run will have to do. lol

Stuart
14-08-07, 08:35 PM
to be fair dar, putting a kit car in the same cost league as an exige or caprio is like putting a nova and a lambo in the same category lol

You can EASILY build one for a few K or get an older finished one and put the XE into it for bugger all

scott.parker
14-08-07, 09:17 PM
Right I?m not sure why I need to explain my actions or choice's!

But the fact's are, I was off work (self-employed) last summer after having a hernia operation, so I lost out allot of money, and I never got time to finish the car, in the time it has sat it?s rotted more and more, now the shells at the point of none no return from a cost affective view!

So after giving up on it ?again from a coast view?
I have had second thoughts after a few people who I class as friends (members on here and pvg) have given me some drive, offers of help and some revived love for the nova I am now trying to weigh up if and when to re-shell into another a nova or corsa, if I find in a year I don?t want it then it?s again my choice to do as I please with, but I was asking for help and opinions on whether or not to use a corsa..

?at no point did I mention kit cars? even second hand they are more then I want to spend.

Scott

Stuart
14-08-07, 09:22 PM
sounds like you want to do what you want to do..... so no need to ask really.

Dar
14-08-07, 09:34 PM
to be fair dar, putting a kit car in the same cost league as an exige or caprio is like putting a nova and a lambo in the same category lol

You can EASILY build one for a few K or get an older finished one and put the XE into it for bugger all
My POINT was that Scott does not want to be shelling out for a kit car so the suggestion might as well have been an F1 car because he is not going to shell out that much cash. Get it? Or are you in a argumentitve mood this evening?

Rick, power means nothing without control:thumb: I can quite confidenly say that Dans 1.6 8v would beat your car around Llandow. Thats just one senario. Don't be so big headed, yours might go pop yet:eek:

This is getting off topic now though:mad:

Rick Draper
14-08-07, 10:06 PM
Rick, power means nothing without control:thumb: I can quite confidenly say that Dans 1.6 8v would beat your car around Llandow. Thats just one senario. Don't be so big headed, yours might go pop yet:eek:

If i was to put my engine and suspension on/in ians (the best track car there is on here :thumb:) shell i could beat any nova on here :thumb:.

My engine is now a runner with 400bhp, at half boost and mark is very happy with it. It has no sign of any det at all and runs better than a stock let/xe. I fail to see how it will go pop when its been spec'd and mapped by the best and is running well within its means. Unlike 85% of the XE's/LET's and small blocks people run (scrimp on spec etc) and end up with a dust pan and brush to clean up lol.

Dan
14-08-07, 10:26 PM
rotflmfao, i have read the last few pages and totally forgot how the thread started, but what i can say for sure is there are plenty of smiling faces around holding huge wooden spoons lol lol lol lol

Dar
14-08-07, 10:41 PM
If i was to put my engine and suspension on/in ians (the best track car there is on here :thumb:) shell i could beat any nova on here :thumb:.

If, if, iflol
Just sounds to me like your trying a bit of trolling:roll:

chris gsi
14-08-07, 11:02 PM
just read the last 5 pages and i think the corsa would be a good idiea just a nice clean shell and your running gear and wheels cheep fun i have all ways said i would use the corsa shell if my nova shell got damaged

Philsutton
14-08-07, 11:13 PM
Rick, power means nothing without control:thumb:

your a real man when you can wheel spin off the clock an dance all over road with no control on where the car is going lol

Lee
15-08-07, 04:34 PM

'If i was to put the engine from Starship Enterprise (the fastest starship there is :thumb:) into the Millenium Falcon, i could beat any nova on here :thumb:.'

The similaries of each startement?...

Both scenarios involve fictional vehicles that only a select few people believe to exist.