PDA

View Full Version : Let & Xe

Mike
12-08-07, 10:36 PM
A LET is essentially an XE with a Turbo bolted to it, and slighlty different loom and Yellow injectors (as oppose to blues) yes? The inlet on a LET is the same as an XE, yes??

Or are the LET internals totally different to that of an XE?
Now id imagine that the pistons & possbily valves & crank differ from XE to LET? Anyone know?

Any difference in the heads between the two engines at all?

Lee H
12-08-07, 10:45 PM
Pistons are different.
Throttle body is different.
LET block has an oil return for the turbo.
Cams are different.

Heads are the same.

Philsutton
12-08-07, 10:47 PM
only things different in the heads are the valve springs an spring seats, an of course cams.

Lee H
12-08-07, 10:59 PM
only things different in the heads are the valve springs an spring seats, an of course cams.

Didn't realise that. I'm running an XE head on mine with all the standard springs and seats.

gammienov16v
12-08-07, 11:57 PM
uuupslol

craig green
13-08-07, 05:07 PM
Didn't realise that. I'm running an XE head on mine with all the standard springs and seats.

Generally though people switch the heads with no issues & most people think they are the same. Cams vary obv.

Lee
13-08-07, 06:22 PM
I take it the compression is dropped via the pistons if the heads are the same then?

Stuart
13-08-07, 06:23 PM
Id guess the springs might be a little stiffer on the LET to compensate for a slightly more vicious ramp rate and possibly to counteract the boost force a little better..... wild stab in the dark but those reasons make sense to me

Adam
13-08-07, 06:23 PM
I thought 20xe's had sodium cored exhaust valves too? Sure i read small block 16v's do as well. Not just let's

Mike-I assume you want to buy a cheap xe and make it into a Let, my advise is just buy a let,Lol. As it ends up costing about the same.

Mike
13-08-07, 11:14 PM
Mike-I assume you want to buy a cheap xe and make it into a Let, my advise is just buy a let,Lol. As it ends up costing about the same.

lol i was toying with the idea, although ive been offered a 260bhp LET for ?1200 :D but for that money i rather add ?1k+ an get a Pulsar/Impreza/Saff Cosworth

Saying that, ALL the bits needed to built up a LET from an XE are on eBay, totalling aprrox ?480 at present :thumb: