PDA

View Full Version : Mk3 Astra GSi

Mike
10-08-07, 11:35 PM
Now the Nova is up for sale, i looked into buying a Mk3 Astra GSi (XE only :thumb: )

Anyone owned one? Common issues? Common rust places? Etc etc

Lee
10-08-07, 11:39 PM
They rot like mary hell mate, check EVERYTHING, especially the rear end.

Adam
11-08-07, 12:35 AM
IVe owned a mk3.
They are a much better car than a nova.
More solid etc. And look nicer.

Anyway,
Rust wise, just the rear arches mainly. O and sometimes the rear spring seats etc.
If you find one with good arches, chances are its pretty much solid.
I had a j-plate and it was mint apart from the rear arches.
They dont really have problems with boot floor etc like earlier vauxhalls.

Ernie
11-08-07, 08:36 AM
As already said check the rear arches and the front arms as they tend to wear.Also they have trouble with the steering rack as it starts to wear on the neutral position and will do a clunk noise which is bloody anoying untill you find were it is coming from and the rack is a pig of a job to do.
My old 1.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v617/chunny01/chrisastra.jpg

Mike
11-08-07, 10:17 AM
Thanks for the input lads :D anyone else?

Basically, i want rid of the Nova, for something a little bigger, a lot comfier (ride wise, not seats lol) something a lot faster, but just as easy to fix as a Nova.

So i qouted them both on the old insurance:

Nova GSi - ?438 F/C
Astra GSi - ?608 F/C

And the Astra it is :D it was either the Astra, or a Impreza Turbo wagon, but they cost the earth to run :(

Brodie_Sri
11-08-07, 05:33 PM
I own a mk3 astra gsi i bought it in november last year i have had no serious problems with it. Its a good allround car, Heres a link which may help you mate. http://www.mk3oc.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2030

Riggy
11-08-07, 07:49 PM
all the mk3's i looked at were rotten lol , so i bought a mk4 insted lol , something to think about as they aint to dear now , :thumb:

draper
11-08-07, 07:53 PM
all the mk3's i looked at were rotten lol , so i bought a mk4 insted lol , something to think about as they aint to dear now , :thumb:

id agree with that and much better looking standard, mk3 rust as bad as novas - just XE the nova and put leather in lol

Kinky Monza
11-08-07, 11:06 PM
Try astra owners network, massive site but great people on there! pretty sure you'll find the info/help/advice you need hun

bonelorry
12-08-07, 12:32 AM
nice cars when looked after, as said they do rot on the rear arches.

ive had a phase 2 one a few years back which was a nice car, the ones your after though are the best fitted with xe's

they did 2 types of xe the earlier type upto about 1993 which had a distributor and 1993 on they came with the later coilpack xe (which is fitted to mine)

both are pretty much the same really with a few minor differences. as you probably know xe's are bombproof so dont be too worried about a higher mileage one just have a good test drive and make sure its nice and torquey.