PDA

View Full Version : nova sr not starting??

greg1.4
07-08-07, 09:33 PM
my mate has just put a 1300 sr engine in his nova and i gave him a spare 1200 head to fit. he got the car running fine a few weeks ago but went to it tonight and it will not fire up. its turning over slowly but sometimes it goes like 1 quick turn over like its going to start but then its back to going slow again.

he says the earths are all on, and he is getting a spark and has tried pouring petrol in the top of the carb. he put a gallon of fuel in it and its still not wanting to go. he has also tried jump leads and a few different batteries.

have you guys got any idea, he wants it on the road next week. any help will be much appreciated. thanks

Greg

greg1.4
07-08-07, 10:14 PM
any one help?

Welsh Dan
07-08-07, 11:31 PM
Are the plugs wet? What are the results of the compression test? Does it turn over OK with a ratchet on the bottom pulley bolt?

Check the fuel pump by taking the inlet hose off the carb, putting it into a container then turning the engine over on the starter and seeing if you get fuel pumped into the container.

Double check the earth strap on the gearbox - I had problems with mine, it looked ok but had actually snapped lol.

greg1.4
08-08-07, 07:16 PM
yep plugs are wet.. compression test is good. not tried turning over with rachet on bottom pulley..

its getting fuel and the aerth strap was snapped so we replaced it.. so thats not the problem..

its like it just needs to turn over faster. cheers,
Greg

Adam
08-08-07, 07:18 PM
Plugs are wet=no firing
You getting a spark on all four?

Clarky_man
08-08-07, 07:22 PM
i had problem like this its turning over really slowly as if youve got a flat battery even though you havent?
i put an extra earth on, that cured mine

LUV2XLR8
09-08-07, 11:42 AM
i have the same problem, il be giving this a go right now .......................

Mike
09-08-07, 12:04 PM
90% says its the wire from the coil to the dizzy :thumb:

connects to the underside of the dizzy, has a little plug on the end with two wires coming from it to the coil

LUV2XLR8
09-08-07, 03:03 PM
just had an auto electrician to see my nova, i have the same problem. new engine, 1400 with 1300 head, drove fine for about 1 mile, when it heated up the module under the coil broke. just orderd a new coil and module for ?25
pray its what the problem is.
seeing as theres FA electrics to the carb'd nova's its gota be that

Mike
09-08-07, 03:05 PM
seeing as theres FA electrics to the carb'd nova's its gota be that

you be surprised! i though just that lol

Adam
09-08-07, 04:15 PM
Actually, if your plugs are soaking wet(flooded from dousing petrol into the carb lol)
That could be stopping a spark, take the plugs out and a dry them.
Then try it.

stevie78
09-08-07, 09:05 PM
if the starter is heating up aswell as turning slow its prob the earth .thats what mine did

greg1.4
13-08-07, 03:12 PM
still having trouble with this, been over at it all morning trying things. i put my coil, leads, dizzy cap and plugs in and it was getting a really good spark, poured another gallon of petrol in the tank..

i put another jump lead from the engine to the chassis and its not helping. i put jump leads on from another car and is not making much difference.

i have tried advancing/retarding the cam timing and thats not helping either.

when it has no plugs in it, she turns over really fast but with plugs in it does not want to budge.

any more ideas? i have checked that wire from coil to dizzy and the black one into the bottom right of the coil module and its all ok..

any more ideas? i am going to have to take it out and strip it down/re-build making sure every eart and wire is on then try again which seems a bit of a waste of time tbh.

any help will be much appreciated. thanks

Greg

Welsh Dan
13-08-07, 04:10 PM
Have you tried jump starting it? battery might be a bit flat now from all the attempts.

greg1.4
13-08-07, 05:50 PM
yep..tried that with a selection of different batteries too.

engine is nearly out..sitting on engine hoist right now..going to take it out anyway, its an excuse to tidy the bay up a bit more and do some engine work.

i am still confused about this though? i have tried and checked lots of things so now i am thinking its the engine or timing that is out..but the timing surely cant just go out with in a few weeks sitting doing nothing?:confused:

Greg

Adam
13-08-07, 06:05 PM
You sure the ignition timing is not overly advanced, causing it to ignite on the upstroke?
Does it turn out and then just "jam" and stop turning?

Dont go touching the cam timing.

greg1.4
13-08-07, 06:06 PM
we have tried advancing the timing and retarding it and putting it where it originally was. makes no difference.

Adam
13-08-07, 06:18 PM
Has the engine run? since you fitted the head?

Is the cam/crank timing spot on?

greg1.4
13-08-07, 09:33 PM
yes car ran spot on.. switched it off and went to start it a few weeks later to move it so he could work on it and it was doing all this..