PDA

View Full Version : *HOW TO* Tune your TD

General Baxter
06-08-07, 06:22 PM
ILL JUST START BY SAYING THE CREDIT FOR THIS GOES TO sir_bombalong ON cavweb

How to tune your turbo diesel Isuzu engine

Anyone thinking of carrying out these modifications please note that no one at PNG can be held responsible for you breaking your car (though if done correctly your car will be just as reliable and even as fuel efficient)

The Isuzu td engine was used in the following models ? though different displacements:

1.7 ? Cavalier mk3 turbo diesel
1.7 ? Astra mk3 turbo diesel (note, some Astra?s had the GM turbo diesel ? do not tune it! It will blow up, plus there is no guide as such to tuning it that I know about it)
1.7 - early vectra B's

1.5 ? Nova turbo diesel
1.5 ? Corsa B turbo diesel
1.5 ? Corsa B Diesel (not possible to tune this)

How much will this cost me??

boost gauge - recomended ?25-50
cone air filter - recomended ?25>
boost control valve - mandatory if you are going to turn up the boost ?15-40

The white ring modification

This is a white washer in the fuel pump diaphragm, which you can remove to increase fuelling whilst on boost. Makes a rather large difference, plus it is fairly mandatory if you are serious about playing with your engine.

A very very good guide on tuning the Isuzu:

http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/vi....php?tid=35931 (http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=35931)

How to do this on your 1.7L cavalier??? SAME FOR A 1.5TD

Well the cavalier has a different inlet manifold so you will need to remove it completely, which is a pain. To do this you will need a 12-point 8mm long socket. As you will need to remove a couple of very awkward nuts and loosen off the injector nuts. Make sure you buy a new inlet gasket as the old one is bound to break plus its good practice to. Once off, the white ring is under the fuel pump casing with four bolts on it, you will see a black rubber diaphragm as per Corsa instructions, instead of using your Stanley knife, you can just pull the diaphragm and plunger up and out, making note of there position in comparison to the fuel pump casing, its important as the plunger is eccentric and controls the entire fuelling of the car, you can turn this plunger to increase fuelling throughout the rev range but I wouldn?t recommend it, stick to standard as its plenty for the average owner. Also should you lose position, pull out the plunger, if you look carefully there is a worn line down the plunger, look into the whole that the plunger came from note a pin sticking out from the side of the whole? Line them up.

A note on turning the fuel screw up, easiest done whilst inlet manifold is off especially getting that ******* cap off!

Taken from diesel tuning supreme Rich C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich C
Right first off, you either need to buy a boost gauge, as I did, or borrow (if your not bothered about having a boost gauge) to set up the bleed valve. The first picture shows where I mounted it. It's there because I don't look at it that often and I didn't think was quite right on the A pillar (The cars not fast enough to pull that sorta thing off...)

The next picture shows where I put the bleed valve and where to put the pipes linking it in.
To start with there is a strait piece of pipe linking the turbo compressor outlet to the wastegate actuator, remove this. You'll need to get hold of some extra pipe to plumb in the bleed valve, I used some fuel line I had at work, but almost anything will do, as long as its a good fit on the turbo outlet and bleed valve.
Fit the bleed valve in between the turbo outlet and actuator, I suggest fitting it somewhere you can adjust it without having to remove anything, to make it easier to set the boost pressure you want to run.

Sorry about the poor picture, but I didn't have time to remove the inlet hose to show it better, I'll take another one tomorrow when I have time.

When you've got that fitted, keep the bleed valve fully closed and go out for a run. The max boost you should see is about 0.7 bar. Open the bleed valve a bit at a time until you are running 1 bar of boost, then lock the bleed valve off (it should have a little locking grub screw or something to stop it moving.)
Note; the engine won't produce full boost just revving it, you have to go drive it a full throttle in at least 2nd gear.

Now you've got your boost sorted, you just have to turn the fuel up a bit.

The next picture shows the max fuel screw. To begin with, there is a anti tamper cover over it, remove this, its awkward, side cutters and cut it off is probably best.
Mark the start position of the screw, then undo the lock nut (while hold the screw) now turn the screw 90degress (quarter of a turn) clockwise. This will increase the fuelling. Then nip the locknut backup (while holding the screw in its new position)

Now, start it up, the idle speed will be a bit high due to the extra fuel. Make sure the temp gauge is above 90, locate the accelerator lever (with the accelerator cable attached) At idle, this lever rests against the stop nearest the O/S wing, undo the locknut and undo this stop until you get the idle back down again. Should be idling ~800RPM.

Sorted. Go for a blast and see what you think.

I know that some of this overlaps with what Corsa sport say?s, however think of the Corsa sport guide just for white ring modification, rich c? comments are far more relevant to us cavalier owners. oh just to mention, rich c' piece there doesnt mention the white ring mod just turning up the fuel and boost i'm sure you can work out how to do the white ring mod with the info given on this page

Some images courtesy of Rich C showing where the bleed valve should go

http://www.cemetery.eclipse.co.uk/rich/tweak/bleedvalve3.jpg

fitting a boost guage and the location of the fuel screw:

http://www.cemetery.eclipse.co.uk/rich/tweak/fig1.jpg

http://www.cemetery.eclipse.co.uk/rich/tweak/fig5.jpg

Further tuning:

induction kits: some info on sucking! - the cars come standard with a collection box and a airfilter box (on top of the inlet manifold) the collection box is not meant to have a element in it just the airbox is. as for induction kits:

no off the shelf kits available so anything will do really, i have a pipercross that i picked up in the sales for ?35, originaly meant for a c2vts, if you are turning your fuel up i have heard that using a cone filter reduces the likely hood of smoking at low revs (still to be expected when you are on boost) i also found an extra 50 miles per tank that way - dont ask why! relocation of the airfilter is popular ussually to under the headlamp on the near side, the off side is in theory better as its more of a straight line but from experiance i found it tricky to do in reality. if you are lazy (like me) then you will probably want to just remove the element from the airbox, remove the collection box, get a cold air feed and plonk the cone filter on the end of the rubber pipe that comes from the collection box to the airbox. this is fine but consider the air flow over a hot engine and around a lot on unecsary corners. if you can be bothered take it straight from the turbo to the near side light. the breather off the rocker should either be vented through a breather filter or fitting it into your new induction system. all this will add up to a not so fantastic gain of power but no more droping off of torque, power and eagerness when the engine gets hot.

Exhaust system: a decat, and maybe an sri system from the cat back, would free it up, not all that expensive either.

Intercoolers: intercoolers can be easily mounted as per cav turbo petrol. Most common is the frontera 2.8 one. Obviously anything will fit if you can make it. Make sure you have alloy tanks as you would be supprised at how much pressure the turbos can produce, dont want the tanks popping off now!

Turbo?s: an early 90?s 3.1td Isuzu trooper turbo will fit, and line up correctly so we hear, its the easiset upgrade as its bigger and you can use the standard manifold. however no one I know of has done this. I suspect a better route is to go with something like a t3 turbo complete with a custom manifold,

Laughing gas: big and easy gains,

Engine work, the usual headwork, balanced, lightened flywheels, etc etc

the purpose of this thread is to compile a thorough guide for anyone wanting to tune up there isuzu. I know there are people who know a shed load more then me so Please!!! Feel free to add to this thread, also if there are any discrepancies please post them up as well i dont pretend to know everything on the subject, i just compiled all the info which i have found on here plus personal experiance from my own fiddling. hope it was useful http://www.vauxhallownersnetwork.co.uk/images/smilies/thumbs_up.gif

General Baxter
06-08-07, 06:37 PM
WHATS THE DIFF BETWEEN THE GM AND IZUZU ENGINE

IZUZU
http://i14.ebayimg.com/01/i/000/ag/45/1964_1.JPG

GM LOW BLOW (alltho it dont have a turbo the rockers are the same)
http://i24.ebayimg.com/06/i/000/ab/d7/4ef7_1.JPG

Clarky_man
11-08-07, 04:44 PM
how about a guied how to get a a 1.7td into a nova?

Welsh Dan
11-08-07, 05:00 PM
Take a nova 1.5TD, strip everything off the block, bolt it all to the 1.7 block and fit it to the nova. (simple version lol)

burgo
12-08-07, 02:16 PM
Take a nova 1.5TD, strip everything off the block, bolt it all to the 1.7 block and fit it to the nova. (simple version lol)by that im gonna guess you havnt done it yourself as it isnt that simple at all

Welsh Dan
12-08-07, 06:47 PM
You guessed right.

gunny
01-10-07, 11:52 PM
my mate has a 1.7 n/a derv corsa and wants to put the 1.7td isuzu engine in, how difficult/easy is it to do and what needs to be done????

General Baxter
07-10-07, 12:12 PM
my mate has a 1.7 n/a derv corsa and wants to put the 1.7td isuzu engine in, how difficult/easy is it to do and what needs to be done????

it all depends on the make of the 1.7 n/a motor,

if its and isuzu engine, its a stright swap, if its a GM lump, just forget it and use the entire car as a paper weight lol

Count Vaux Alot
23-01-08, 10:49 PM
I did the cav 1.7 TD to corsa van and it was as 'straight forward' as i could be the results are very good and its my daily drive!

Count Vaux Alot
28-01-08, 07:49 PM
It ended up like this:

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg167/Count85/09062007165.jpg

Jordan-Nova-TD
03-02-08, 06:40 PM
Really usefull thread, just bought a TD so I will deffinately be doing this.

saloonwoody
13-02-08, 12:39 PM
It ended up like this:

IS THAT THE TD ENGINE ?

burgo
13-02-08, 12:51 PM
thats the td engine but with the N/A inlet manifold

saloonwoody
13-02-08, 01:12 PM
wots the difference ?

burgo
13-02-08, 01:41 PM
the inlet to the standard inlet is about 2 inch diameter if you lucky but the n/a one is 3 inchs. plus the n/a manifold is all profiled round the runners and imo a much better design. plus it allows much better access to the fuel pump

Count Vaux Alot
13-02-08, 07:01 PM
the inlet to the standard inlet is about 2 inch diameter if you lucky but the n/a one is 3 inchs. plus the n/a manifold is all profiled round the runners and imo a much better design. plus it allows much better access to the fuel pump

It is a 1.7 td yes and what burgo said is correct but i also used it as you can route the pipe work much more easily when using and intercooler that sits horizontally.

burgo
13-02-08, 07:09 PM
It is a 1.7 td yes and what burgo said is correct but i also used it as you can route the pipe work much more easily when using and intercooler that sits horizontally.DOH i knew i forgot something else lol

saloonwoody
13-02-08, 09:32 PM
ah righty ho i wanted to know as the missus has a td chavalier n i wanted a bit more oomph for when i smoke around in it !!

burgo
13-02-08, 09:35 PM
well ive got one of those manifolds which has been modified for use on a turbo lump.

John
13-02-08, 09:44 PM

Whats the intercooler off chap? Did you use all the cav engine? or just swop the pump/turbo etc?

Count Vaux Alot
13-02-08, 10:17 PM

Whats the intercooler off chap? Did you use all the cav engine? or just swop the pump/turbo etc?

I used the whole cav engine as the compression ratios are different between the turbo and n/a (the turbo's is lower) and there is an extra oil feed for the turbo etc so the whole engine is less hastle, It only had a n/a rocker cover on it as the one i got with the td was cracked were the scrap yard gently removed it :tard:
And the intercooler is from an iveco daily that i aquired from work ;)

I'll clean it at the weekend and take some better up to date pics.

CorsaBBoomer
06-03-08, 11:14 AM
How much BHP did it run? I know that I had a similar setup with the 1.5TD but without the intercooler and on the rr I allready came to 102 BHP's.

burgo
06-03-08, 03:18 PM
How much BHP did it run? I know that I had a similar setup with the 1.5TD but without the intercooler and on the rr I allready came to 102 BHP's.how much torque??

CorsaBBoomer
06-03-08, 07:54 PM
how much torque??
186ish :)

burgo
07-03-08, 12:10 AM
186ish :) lb ft??? fooking impressive if it is

CorsaBBoomer
07-03-08, 08:45 AM
I'll put my result up tonight

fix
07-03-08, 09:37 AM
Good guide ive been meaning to tune my td nova for ages,better weld my strut top strengthing plates on before i do or the engine will rip the turrets up!

Count Vaux Alot
07-03-08, 07:28 PM
105bhp and 155 lb ft standard fuel and boost we will see if it makes any more at the RR day on the 22nd! It sounds as if the rollers that your 1.5td ran on were generous.

burgo
07-03-08, 07:33 PM
count i trust you will be tuning your boost up on the 22nd

General Baxter
07-03-08, 08:01 PM

we all know they will take 46psi lol

Count Vaux Alot
07-03-08, 08:14 PM

Oh yes its up at 1.3 bar now and will be going higher....baxter we have had this conversation! You sold your TD motor yet?

burgo
07-03-08, 08:20 PM
well i ran mine safely at 22psi

CorsaBBoomer
07-03-08, 08:38 PM
Shait... 15 posts thing...

Generous, maybe... But this was after some fine tuning it all (the pump and boost) and after changing some parts of the exhaust.
Anyways, ever seen the Portugese with their TD's? They laugh with us and I know from first hand...

Rolout coming up...

Count Vaux Alot
07-03-08, 10:04 PM
I have seen the portugese and dutch diesels they make great power i have also fine tuned mine since the last time i did a power run and have a stainless exhaust from the turbo back, there is a Rolling road day on the 22nd march that i think about 25 members fron PNG are attending so it will be good to see what every one is making.

Count Vaux Alot
07-03-08, 10:05 PM
well i ran mine safely at 22psi

What figures did you get? Assuming you ran on the RR? What mods did you do?

burgo
08-03-08, 12:23 AM
no figures im afraid and it was just a 1.7td with fueling and boost turned up to 22psi with a front mount intercooler

dan_cf40
10-03-08, 03:39 PM
thats the td engine but with the N/A inlet manifold
is this a straight swap or is there any fab work involved

burgo
10-03-08, 03:44 PM
is this a straight swap or is there any fab work involvedthe only bit of fab work is that you need a pressure take off for the fuel pump fitting. strangely enough i happen to have one of these inlets already modified in the boot of my car that needs a new home??

dan_cf40
10-03-08, 10:50 PM
How Much Mate?
What Car/engine Do These Originally Com From?

burgo
11-03-08, 12:34 AM
i got this one off a corsa. i think all the n/a ones are the same tho.

pm me an offer bud

CorsaBBoomer
17-03-08, 06:10 PM
As said previously: only raised boost and pump and sorted the exhaust a bit... Worked well enough at that time and was a pleasure for daily useage. :)

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w131/CorsaBB/testbank180306TBM.jpg

philthepill_389
15-08-08, 05:01 PM
has anyone got any better pictures on how to run the inter cooler pipes

thanks

adamz
25-09-08, 04:44 PM
just put my bleed valve on and it doesnt seem to have done anything :S:S , its a 3 peace one , i have put y boost gauge onto to bottom of it and the turbo/actuator on the opposite , it wont boost more than 10 psi

burgo
27-09-08, 02:00 AM
have you turned the fuel up aswell?? the reason i ask is diesels works differently to petrols. you govern the mount of fuel and not the amount of air with diesels. so you could have a turbo the size of a house plumbed to it but it still wont boost more until you turn the fuel up

novarobbo
27-09-08, 10:57 PM
i think his fuels turned up.. i could barely see where i was going today after he went past me lol

burgo
27-09-08, 11:03 PM
lol sounds about right then.

ive just realised why its not working aswell. the bottom outlet is where it bleeds the pressure off and therefore allows a higher level of boost. being as you have connected your gauge to this you have effectively blocked it so that it cant bleed it off.

you boost gauge in the pipe that goes between the inlet manifold and fuel pump.

Adam
11-02-09, 07:56 PM
Just reading this, got my boost gauge fitted today and its making bang on standard boost.

Looking at the inlet air box, can i just remove the air pipe off the compressor inlet, and fit a cone filter right onto the inlet?????

burgo
12-02-09, 12:35 AM
theres the metal pipe coming from the inlet of the turbo up to the inlet manifold. undo it from the inlet manifold and turn the metal pipe to point behind the headlight and then wack the cone filter on

Adam
12-02-09, 12:36 AM
10-4

bai1ey
12-02-09, 06:50 PM
do the 1.7td cav engines just bolt into a corsa then or are the mounts lower/higher or anything

its a 1.5 diesel corsa btw

Mucker_TD
27-02-09, 06:01 PM
God im having a nightmare with doing this to my nova 1.5td. Can anybody possibly give me a number so i can explain to someone what i have done?

I know its a weird request but im pretty much without a car now. Or even better if someone could contact me on 07709300558. much appreciated, matt

Adam
27-02-09, 06:04 PM
What are you struggling with?, you cant really go wrong tbh.

burgo
27-02-09, 06:36 PM
here you go matt.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nackuk/sets/72157609209569246/

this picture shows the offset of the plunger.

http://l.yimg.com/g/images/spaceball.gifhttp://www.flickr.com/photos/nackuk/3036439686/in/set-72157609209569246/

Mucker_TD
27-02-09, 06:47 PM
here you go matt.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nackuk/sets/72157609209569246/

this picture shows the offset of the plunger.

http://l.yimg.com/g/images/spaceball.gifhttp://www.flickr.com/photos/nackuk/3036439686/in/set-72157609209569246/

Top man, much appreciated.

ednovasr2
28-02-09, 10:03 PM
how about a guied how to get a a 1.7td into a nova?

same engine as 1.5d and TD just bored out smaller just remove and bolt in the 1.7TD and change the ECU :thumb: there are a few more little bits to do but you get the idea.

A mate did it when his van's engine went and threw a rod out!
Guess it's a bit like throwing your toys out the pram LOLlol

burgo
28-02-09, 10:09 PM
same engine as 1.5d and TD just bored out smaller just remove and bolt in the 1.7TD and change the ECU :thumb: there are a few more little bits to do but you get the idea.

A mate did it when his van's engine went and threw a rod out!
Guess it's a bit like throwing your toys out the pram LOLlol

you are so very very wrong. infact your a retard!!! for a start they dont have an ecu

John
01-03-09, 09:41 AM
you are so very very wrong. infact your a retard!!! for a start they dont have an ecu

+1 for you burgo.

Count Vaux Alot
01-03-09, 11:00 AM
/\ lol

ednovasr2
18-03-09, 12:30 PM

If that the case then how did we do it then! car in question was a 15TD on a j plate and put in a k-reg astra 1.7TD lump!

Call me a retard to my face n will see how long you last stood up!:D

heds
22-03-09, 01:43 PM
now now calm down, whats best to do then? fit the full 17td engine and loom or just swap the engines over or what?

General Baxter
22-03-09, 02:17 PM
If that the case then how did we do it then! car in question was a 15TD on a j plate and put in a k-reg astra 1.7TD lump!

retard

old TD are ALL mechanical, simple

burgo
22-03-09, 02:45 PM

im guessing you used magic as you clearly have no clue.

i am 90% sure that i am the only person who has converted a 1.7 engine to fit into a nova. i know im the only one who has ever put pictures up of it anyway

let_nova
22-03-09, 02:47 PM
there was a yellow nova down my way with the 1.7td he smashed it though.

burgo
22-03-09, 02:50 PM
is he on here???? no!! my statement still stands

Adam
22-03-09, 09:36 PM
Found out today that the turbo/actuator is weak on my TD :(

It will still only make a bar boost with the actuator pipe removed. Fail :(
No 1.7bar for me

sri130nova
22-03-09, 09:38 PM
im guessing you used magic as you clearly have no clue.

i am 90% sure that i am the only person who has converted a 1.7 engine to fit into a nova. i know im the only one who has ever put pictures up of it anyway
wel have done it but no pictures sadly :(

we found it hard to fit all the stuff in the front so the intercooler was out the bumper etc

Count Vaux Alot
22-03-09, 09:45 PM

No 1.7bar for me

I have a spare turbo and manifold.....

burgo
22-03-09, 09:45 PM

No 1.7bar for mehave you turned the fuel up??

burgo
22-03-09, 09:47 PM
wel have done it but no pictures sadly :(

we found it hard to fit all the stuff in the front so the intercooler was out the bumper etc

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/sclurgess/td/04-08-06_0728.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/sclurgess/td/28-08-06_1314.jpg

the grill did actually still fit

Adam
22-03-09, 09:48 PM
Yeah.
Will i need to increase it further to get more boost?

I get smoke under full boost.

I assumed with the actuator pipe off the turbo would boost to whatever it could...(until A-the turbo died, 2-the overboost safety valve opened) ?

Ive got quite a few goodies to go on too!!! FMIC, short pipe and cone filter for comp intake, NA inlet etc etc

burgo
22-03-09, 09:52 PM
Yeah.
Will i need to increase it further to get more boost?

I get smoke under full boost.

I assumed with the actuator pipe off the turbo would boost to whatever it could...(until A-the turbo died, 2-the overboost safety valve opened) ?

Ive got quite a few goodies to go on too!!! FMIC, short pipe and cone filter for comp intake, NA inlet etc etc

no adam its a diesel not a petrol. my brother was making exactly the same mistake today. he couldnt work out why he couldnt get above hav a bar today until i reminded him that its a diesel

Adam
22-03-09, 09:54 PM
Im all ears...

burgo
22-03-09, 09:59 PM
a diesel has no throttle plate, it is the fuel that is regulated. therefore it will only suck in and therefore expell out as much air as the fuel needs

Adam
22-03-09, 10:04 PM
So it wont go above a bar boost without me further increasing the fuel???

burgo
22-03-09, 10:08 PM
exactly that. my brothers astra was only boosting half a bar today until we turned up the fuel by half a turn and its now got a bar of boost. we would of gone further but it blew off a hose

Adam
22-03-09, 10:10 PM
I hear you.
Time to get the screwdriver out again then

burgo
22-03-09, 10:11 PM
good lad ;)

also limiting how much its boosting via the fuel aint cool, infact it'll make it run hotter than it should

General Baxter
22-03-09, 10:11 PM
diesels gonna get yet, but i remember you saying theres no point in tuning one, let alone owning one lol

Adam
22-03-09, 10:13 PM
lol

Im quite impressed by it tbh!!!!

So much quicker than it is as standard, even with just a bar.

The only downside is the brakes take a right hammering!
I got brake fade on some b-roads the other night, i guess the solid 236s stopping an astra from about 70+ ;) a couple of times, down to 30, dont cut it. Could smell them burning lol, and seriously didnt expect to slow enough to take the corner!!!

burgo
22-03-09, 10:15 PM
just need the N/A manifold now adam

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs025.snc1/2569_56693444036_692054036_1530164_2681218_n.jpg

Count Vaux Alot
22-03-09, 10:18 PM
just need the N/A manifold now adam

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs025.snc1/2569_56693444036_692054036_1530164_2681218_n.jpg

:thumb::thumb:

Adam
22-03-09, 10:19 PM
Ive got one in the shed ;)

Just need a cheap way of sorting the boost pipes(that doesnt involved spending more than a tenner lol )

Any pics of where your air filter is located? Seen it just on the inner wing on Corsas, but batt's in the way on a Astra.

What IC is that?
Ive got a fooking massive IC(i.e. the size of the astra radiator), but think it might give problems with lag...

burgo
22-03-09, 10:23 PM
best place for the filter imo is up in the inner arch. boost pipes are easy to make, just buy a length of 2" exhaust pipe and make it from that.

the IC is off a focus i think

sr mikey
30-04-09, 05:02 PM
where could i find a n/a manifold had a look on ebay but none about? also where do you get the silicone hoses or are they just cut to fit??

Adam
30-04-09, 05:08 PM
Cut to fit basically, use any pipe/tubing to join some silicone pipes together....

NA manifold is off a 1.5NA diesel, corsa/nova

burgo
30-04-09, 05:55 PM
go to the scrappy to get the inlet. theres loads of them about

castanhas_15td
06-05-09, 12:20 AM
the N/A intake manifold it's a good choice.

Adam
19-05-09, 09:16 PM
BURGO
"Mark the start position of the screw, then undo the lock nut (while hold the screw) now turn the screw 90degress (quarter of a turn) clockwise"

See, clockwise...
But just looked at the throttle linkage and turning it clockwise puts more thread out of the bracket, which restricts how far the linkage can travel on the pump.... So it seems a bit ermm, wrong???? Undoing it will let the linkage move further?

burgo
20-05-09, 04:02 AM
easiest way adam is turn it both ways and see which gives you more fuel. cant get a more deffinet answer than that

Johnny A
09-08-09, 09:00 PM
Hi guys, bought myself a 1.7 N/A Corsa Combo van a little while ago and even with the pump turned up a bit till it smokes like a chimney its epically slow :(

After a quick search on ebay I found a whole Astra3 1.7TD for sale, the guy was new to ebay (only 10 pos. feedback) and had listed the engine for sale with a whole car (to avoid the car listing fees). The listing was very breif and no one bidded so I won it for 99p!!!!

I stripped the car on saturday removing all engine components followed by the engine itself, but I have a few questions.

Q1: The engine is from a 1995 Astra which has an immobiliser. I removed the two parts of the loom (one seems to be for the starter/alternator, but it also goes into the cabin to a small black box and also a little yellow relay and the other seems to be just for things like temp sensor etc...). Considering the pumps are mechanical can I not just use the corsa's N/A loom??

Q2: The engine has been sitting for a few years and the turbo is seized (I suspect this is why the engine had been left), I am going to try an Isuzu Trooper turbo (I have found many people breaking the 3.1TD's on ebay), but if I can't has anyone got a spare turbo in good order??

Adam
09-08-09, 09:05 PM
Mines a '96 astra and has a immobiliser pickup/chip in the key, so mines immoblised too but i really dont know what it immobilises as everything is mechanical???

Theres loads of 1.7 td's about in scrappies to rob a turbo off

Johnny A
09-08-09, 09:10 PM
Mines a '96 astra and has a immobiliser pickup/chip in the key, so mines immoblised too but i really dont know what it immobilises as everything is mechanical???

Theres loads of 1.7 td's about in scrappies to rob a turbo off

Judging by the wiring i'd say its just a very basic setup where the little black box waits to sense the chip and when it does it allows the starter solenoid wire to be powered up (via the yellow relay?)

Adam
09-08-09, 09:15 PM
That sounds about the only thing there is to immobilise.

Makes sense really going by your explanation.

Johnny A
09-08-09, 09:39 PM
I remember speaking to Count Vaux about gearboxes, I assume you use the big block gearbox thats attached to the turbo engine??

So I need some bigblock shafts??
What about the clutch?

napalm_27
10-08-09, 02:03 AM
1.7td are small block f17 box's iirc

Kelvasco
10-08-09, 04:24 PM
Hey,

I currently have a 1.5TD Corsa and am going to mod the engine. I want to change the inlet to the 1.5 one and re-route through a intercooler as in Count's old GSi rep Corsa.

Just a couple of questions,

What size is the inlet?
Do I need to modify it in anyway?
Would a Sierra Cosworth intercooler fit?

Cheers.

Kel

Johnny A
10-08-09, 07:43 PM
1.7td are small block f17 box's iirc

My combo's N/A 1.7 is smallblock, but a brief look at the Astra's 1.7TD setup shows big block driveshafts and CV's

burgo
10-08-09, 10:41 PM
Hey,

I currently have a 1.5TD Corsa and am going to mod the engine. I want to change the inlet to the 1.5 one and re-route through a intercooler as in Count's old GSi rep Corsa.

Just a couple of questions,

What size is the inlet?
Do I need to modify it in anyway?
Would a Sierra Cosworth intercooler fit?

Cheers.

Kelthe inlet to the manifold is 3" if i remember correctly. the only modification you need to do is fit a vac/boost take off for the fuel pump

any intercooler will fit if you make it

burgo
10-08-09, 10:42 PM
My combo's N/A 1.7 is smallblock, but a brief look at the Astra's 1.7TD setup shows big block driveshafts and CV'sindeed 1.7 gearboxes are big block boxes

Johnny A
10-08-09, 10:42 PM
I plan to use my N/A inlet and also fit a spare cossie FMIC too. I will make mine fit with a grinder more than likely.

Johnny A
10-08-09, 10:44 PM
indeed 1.7 gearboxes are big block boxes

How come my combo uses small block CV's and driveshafts then? I know this for certain because I bought the car with a gearbox on the verge of failure and replaced it with another 1.7 combo box.

I also know the astra's diesel box is bigblock as the inner CV's are much larger.

burgo
10-08-09, 10:47 PM
i dunno. i just know the 1.7td's i have worked on out of cavvy's and astras are big block.

Johnny A
10-08-09, 10:48 PM
yes that's correct, It would be much easier to use the smallblock 1.7 combo box on the TD engine but I suspect the clutch will tell me to sod off

burgo
10-08-09, 10:50 PM
quite possibly. easiest way is to try it as your not loosing anything as youve already got it

Johnny A
11-08-09, 06:16 PM
This is very true, if it can't handle it I will fit the (I am assuming) larger flywheel/clutch and use the bigblock gearbox with a big block conversion kit.

burgo
11-08-09, 11:36 PM
yes i think they are bigger as i know someone once said you can use the small block boxes on the 17td but you have to run the 1.5 flywheel or something lol

Johnny A
12-08-09, 06:46 PM
Has anyone any info on this 3.1TD Isuzu trooper turbo conversion? I have found one for £60

General Baxter
12-08-09, 06:49 PM
Has anyone any info on this 3.1TD Isuzu trooper turbo conversion? I have found one for £60

no point in fitting a bigger turbo, the stds are more then enough to power it

Johnny A
13-08-09, 09:59 PM
how much boost can the standard one generate? From what I read it's 1.2 bar

General Baxter
13-08-09, 10:01 PM
how much boost can the standard one generate? From what I read it's 1.2 bar
thats all you need lol

Adam
13-08-09, 10:01 PM
There tough little fookers, sure ive read one was still going strong at about 22psi.

General Baxter
13-08-09, 10:02 PM
32psi :p

might have been 33 even lol

Adam
13-08-09, 10:11 PM
Only thing is, they are tiny turbos, pressure and volume/flow are 2 different things :p

General Baxter
13-08-09, 10:13 PM
thats why i had 2 lol

Spudly
13-08-09, 10:32 PM
We shall have to take plenty of pictures doing mine then nick, end of sept i reckon, should give me time to get a boost guage and bleed valve sorted!

Adam
13-08-09, 10:34 PM
Mine is doing 16psi atm, standard ic etc.
Cant get it to make no more boost no matter what i do

Johnny A
13-08-09, 10:36 PM
so you managed 32psi out of the standard turbo? Thats 2.2 bar!

General Baxter
13-08-09, 10:50 PM
well it boosted 63psi, from a 1.5 and a 1.7 turbo lol

burgo
13-08-09, 11:53 PM
i had 25 psi out of the standard turbo with no drop off so they are plenty capable

Johnny A
14-08-09, 10:57 PM
and so why are we not running these pressures all the time? Has anyone managed a rod out the block by running too much boost?

General Baxter
14-08-09, 11:02 PM
and so why are we not running these pressures all the time? Has anyone managed a rod out the block by running too much boost?

iv gone one better i lost the head lol

Adam
15-08-09, 12:01 AM
i had 25 psi out of the standard turbo with no drop off so they are plenty capable
With what done?
Ring mod and the fuel wacked up???

burgo
15-08-09, 03:33 PM
yes and a front mount

Adam
15-08-09, 05:57 PM
Done the white ring mod today on mine, and now get 18psi in 3rd upwards, about 16 in 2nd.
It smokes more than it did, but is making hardly any more boost?
Dont get me wrong, 18 is cool, but i want more lol

Thinking either my actuator is weak, or boost controller is knackered. Although ive tried it without the controller at all, and it makes the same boost, so i guess that rules the controller out. The controller must be dodgy anyway as no matter what you do with the adjuster knob it doesnt change what boost it makes lol

sr mikey
22-12-09, 04:20 AM
mynes a bit like that ... more kind of depends on what fueling your running as to what it boosts at ... think it just boosts as much as its got the fuel to mix with.

Has anyone noticed they dont boost aswell when there warm. myne feels a lot faster when ive just started driving about.

ant_tay
25-01-10, 11:29 AM
so if i was to buy this kit the t peice would go between inlet manifold and pump and the boost controller between the turbo and actuator its a 1.5td corsa

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TURBO-BOOST-GAUGE-BOOST-CONTROLLER-VOLVO-T4-S40-T5_W0QQitemZ190366580593QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Cars Parts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item2c52bb7f71

Adam
25-01-10, 04:25 PM
Yup

ant_tay
25-01-10, 04:49 PM
thank you what would be a safe boost to run im also puttin a front mount on it

burgo
25-01-10, 07:32 PM
thank you what would be a safe boost to run im also puttin a front mount on it20 psi is safe enough.

ant_tay
26-01-10, 10:14 AM
20 psi is safe enough.

reading through this thread people have had problems with pipes poping off at 1.1 bar and 20 psi is 1.3 bar

burgo
26-01-10, 06:58 PM
well then they didnt do them up tight enough lol. i never had any pipe popping off problems. only problems i had was destroying cv joints. but that was because the conversion shaft was to short

burgo
06-02-10, 01:00 AM
i decided to modify my pump today so thought i would take a few pics :d

i prefere to take the inlet manifold off to access the pump easier

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/sclurgess/05022010.jpg

this is the part you are concentrating on

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/sclurgess/05022010006.jpg

undo the four bolts to remove this

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/sclurgess/05022010004.jpg

whilst it is off you want to hit the nipple in the middle flat, like so

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/sclurgess/05022010005.jpg

now for the "white ring mod" first off it has to go in the same way it came out. so i marked mine with a ickle dab of primer :d

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/sclurgess/05022010002.jpg

with that done it just slides out to reveal this

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/sclurgess/05022010003.jpg

that be the white ring that needs removing

hopes thats cleared it up abit

ant_tay
07-02-10, 02:36 PM
burgo your a fu*king legend thats exactly what i needed

burgo
07-02-10, 02:43 PM
glad i could help mate :) any other questions dont hesitate to ask

ant_tay
09-02-10, 07:03 PM
well today im getting a steady 1.5 bar of boost my controller wawound all the way to the + side so i thought id turn it all the way off to the - side till i wont turn anymore and boom 1.5 bar and i aint done the fuel pump or the white ring yet just upped the fueling :thumb: maxed out at 1.7 bar with no pipes poped off yet

Count Vaux Alot
19-02-10, 12:40 AM
I have a twitch....

MattBrown
13-12-10, 11:34 PM
Hmmm, this seems tempting.

So, a 1997ish mk3 astra van has the izuzu engine?

Do any mk4 astras have thus engine? As I prefer the mk4 for looks?

And dump valve fitting info? lol

General Baxter
13-12-10, 11:37 PM

So, a 1997ish mk3 astra van has the izuzu engine? Doubt it

Do any mk4 astras have thus engine? As I prefer the mk4 for looks? Nope

And dump valve fitting info? lol your a bellend for trying,

MattBrown
13-12-10, 11:38 PM

So, a 1997ish mk3 astra van has the izuzu engine? Doubt it

Do any mk4 astras have thus engine? As I prefer the mk4 for looks? Nope

Ahh well, 1.9cdti van it is then.

Count Vaux Alot
13-12-10, 11:55 PM

lol

davidfox280585
25-12-10, 11:47 AM
yes i think they are bigger as i know someone once said you can use the small block boxes on the 17td but you have to run the 1.5 flywheel or something lol
correct burgo,if its in a corsa id defo use the small block box as the 1.7 flywheels weigh a ton compared to the 1.5 ones,the 1.5s rev a lot quicker due to this:thumb:

Balley
25-12-10, 01:22 PM
correct burgo,if its in a corsa id defo use the small block box as the 1.7 flywheels weigh a ton compared to the 1.5 ones,the 1.5s rev a lot quicker due to this:thumb:

Yes all very well and good but, what do you do about power goin through the clutch.. it will slip like made when you get it wound up!

and also will the F13 be able to take 170ft lbs + ??

Count Vaux Alot
25-12-10, 06:52 PM
I plan on machining a Td flywheel to suit the friction plate from an xe and running the f18 or f20 with the longer 5th with an uprated Xe clutch

davidfox280585
26-12-10, 08:19 PM
Yes all very well and good but, what do you do about power goin through the clutch.. it will slip like made when you get it wound up!

and also will the F13 be able to take 170ft lbs + ??
Well i ran mine like this and no issues, i personally think the 1.7 is overrated compared to a good 1.5 use a good quality clutch is all you need

davidfox280585
26-12-10, 08:22 PM
i have never killed a vauxhall box in my life, ever, the xe hasnt and all my corsas have never trashed one the tds are quick and i like them but there not supercars ffs

General Baxter
26-12-10, 08:28 PM
i have never killed a vauxhall box in my life,

your just not trying then lol

davidfox280585
26-12-10, 08:46 PM
your just not trying then lol
I have killed loads of boxes in my rs turbos and my old citroen lasted 2 week before it shat itself, i have never changed my td boxes and i drove them hard, 6 1.7 engines i blew in my corsavan running the same gearbox and clutch and shafts

General Baxter
26-12-10, 08:49 PM
come on, i even snapped a shaft on a std 406 TD lol

davidfox280585
26-12-10, 09:13 PM
come on, i even snapped a shaft on a std 406 TD lol
Vaux running gear is awesome, ive never snapped a shaft or done a box, ive done loads of clutches in even the nova xe hasnt died, only shaft i did was tigra cv due to me driving with a ripped boot and being lazy, my saxo had axles, shafts, box, mountings lower arms shocks just basicaly rubbish

cossienova
09-03-11, 05:19 AM
What sort of fuel economy are you getting with these mods?

Balley
09-03-11, 10:57 AM
45mpg

camels toe
09-08-11, 05:33 PM
I dont suppose anyone knows what the wires in the multi plug that joins the engine loom and car loom together are for? Im putting a 1.7td in my mk2 cav but struggle with wiring at the best of times.
If anyone knows what they are colour for colour it`d be a massive bonus.

Balley
09-08-11, 06:52 PM
They will be for the coolant temp sensors, theres 3 of them and then theres your rad and speed sensor (if you have one), stop solenoid etc etc

Dervy
09-08-11, 11:17 PM
45mpg

haha i got 51mpg out of mine at the weekend :) modded f20 ftw :)

MK999
09-08-11, 11:31 PM
71 on a run to Manchester. lol

pyromaniac_yeti
07-11-11, 12:26 AM
Talking of which, did you do the white ring mod to the nova i've just bought off you?

cav_2.0_gli
05-03-12, 11:51 PM
hello all,
ive just bought a 1.5td nova, which im planning on up'in the fuel and boost on.

now, i was just wondering, is it really worthwhile fitting the 1.7td engine and doing the same? can i use my nova's gearbox, or will i need the 1.7td box/flywheel/driveshafts/clutch etc? is everything a straight swap, as they pretty much the same engines aren't they?

thanks

Count Vaux Alot
06-03-12, 11:48 AM
IMO you might as well stick with the 1.5 if its a good runner

JordyzNova
07-04-12, 03:13 PM
right - i have been told instead ov runnin the boost controller just cut the pipe and block both up and allows you to run just under 2bar ??

any thoughts ? not sure how this deisel lark works hehe

JordyzNova
07-04-12, 03:14 PM
http://www.cemetery.eclipse.co.uk/rich/tweak/bleedvalve3.jpg

dont use this just block both ends ov pipe up with a bolt inserted into the pipe ?

Adam
07-04-12, 03:22 PM
You could do that, you will have no control over the boost though as the wastegate will be permanently shut.

JordyzNova
08-04-12, 02:23 PM
Could this cause a problem . . . Only thing is smokes like pritty bad

attila
26-08-12, 09:11 AM
Too much pressure can cause prob.better too keep the animal in control

attila
26-08-12, 09:30 AM
Hello Burgo.,,

So after i read thru the forum .I had a few question left.
1 what this white ring do exactly.Its a spacer so the shaft can go lower or what so?
2 the fuel screw ?have u figure it out clockwise or CCW half turn?or just a 1/4 turn 90 degree?
3. why we need exactly the 1.5d inlet.What is the difference .

I living in Hungary Budapest but i left 1 Gemini 1.5d Isuzu in Malta still with MOT and insurance till end of the year.So i can fly down and take it home for spare part of the engine.

My wife got a corsa b with 1.5td engine.Is there anything what i can use??? both have 200k km in it.

attila
26-08-12, 09:43 AM
Hello Burgo.,,

So after i read thru the forum .I had a few question left.
1 what this white ring do exactly.Its a spacer so the shaft can go lower or what so?
2 the fuel screw ?have u figure it out clockwise or CCW half turn?or just a 1/4 turn 90 degree?
3. why we need exactly the 1.5d inlet.What is the difference .
4.I cant c any T tube on ur pump lead ?do u have any Gauge connected?
I living in Hungary Budapest but i left 1 Gemini 1.5d Isuzu in Malta still with MOT and insurance till end of the year.So i can fly down and take it home for spare part of the engine.

My wife got a corsa b with 1.5td engine.Is there anything what i can use??? both have 200k km in it.

Sorry for the second 1 cant delete it

JordyzNova
23-09-12, 08:35 AM
1.allows more fuel in
2.turn a whole turn clock wise
3.because the td engines have a outlet on the right and left wen a na engine has just a outlet on left
4.ther should be a vacum pipe on back ov inlet just chop and t peice for gauge

hope this kinda helps just have a good read through on here

Nova-nation
27-07-13, 05:52 PM
Has anyone run the 3.1td isuzu trooper turbo? Does it have to be a 3.0 one
Or 3.1? Any tips etc? Got one sitting here so might as well Wack it on, done white ring mod, NA inlet manifold fmic and turned the boost up, just fancy a little more lol

burgo
27-07-13, 08:40 PM
Yes my brother was running the trooper turbo with good results but hes gone bigger now lol

Nova-nation
28-07-13, 06:14 PM
Bigger? More info? :D

burgo
28-07-13, 06:44 PM
Hes on a t25 now

Nova-nation
28-07-13, 11:29 PM
Sweet, custom manifold etc? Do you know of the trooper turbo was off a 3.1 or a 3.0? Or if there is any difference?

camels toe
10-01-14, 11:23 AM
I fitted a boost gauge to my 1.7td yesterday. All good and showing 7psi as it should. So fitted the bleed valve and turned the fuel screw up half a turn. Still only 7psi. Now I know that its the extra fuel that will up the boost but should I have seen a slight rise with half a turn on the screw? How many turns have other people turned it to get 1 bar?
Also I haven't done the white ring mod yet as im waiting on a gasket so will this be limiting the boost/fueling enough to not see a change on the boost gauge?