PDA

View Full Version : Ecotec starting problem

Clean 2.0 nova
04-08-07, 09:02 PM
I know this isn't an engine most of you are familier with but I'm sure a few of you engine experts can help.

After engine rebuild and fitted into a nova, my X20XEV engine struggles to start. When the engine is running it is fine. Secondary air induction, catalytic convertor and fuel tank vent system have been removed. Fault codes are a plenty at the moment, is there an easy way to reset them so I can work out new codes (yes diagnostic plug fitted)? I Have tried disconnecting power for an hour. Also in order to get engine to run I had to manually energise fuel pump relay to come on automatically when engine powers up the injection valves relay.

Now to the problem I am encountered with, the engine usually emits (or possibly draws in) what sounds like a sharp shot of air (brief 'horn' type sound) when turning on the ignition (not cranking). I assume this to be one of the electric valves opening on the manifold. When I crank the engine over, either cold, hot or just after stopping the engine it seems to possibly overfuel and the starter motor slows down at some point in the engine revolution which I can only put down to high piston compression. The engine will start by giving it a bit of throttle then easing off, but this process sometimes takes a couple of tries. I also have a spare 2mm hose coming out of the inlet manifold just below where the fuel regulator pipe connects, could anybody tell me where this once went to? What should I check - cam shaft position at TDC? http://www.clubcalibra.com/Smileys/default/huh.gif

Sorry for all the detail but wanted to get full picture across. Have tried posting query on calibra site but novaload is usually far more successful at solving probs.

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x198/iaingra/IM001944a.jpg

Adam
04-08-07, 09:05 PM
Does the fuel pressure regulator have a vacuum pipe on it? as it should have.
That could be the cause of your problems.

Clean 2.0 nova
04-08-07, 10:21 PM
yes, vacuum pipe connected to pressure regulator

Thanks for reply

Adam
05-08-07, 01:01 AM
That spare hose will probably be for the fuel tank vent valve, which you need fitted to keep the ecu light off. Same goes for the SAI valve.

gammienov16v
05-08-07, 11:08 AM
go on mate good look ive just fitted on ov these in my nov too. and beleave me they aint as slow as people make out. mine is foookin balistic on accelaration.

did you have your imob removed from the ecu?

oh and dose your's splutter at low rev's between 0rpm and 3500rpm:thumb:

bump

Clean 2.0 nova
05-08-07, 12:08 PM
That spare hose will probably be for the fuel tank vent valve, which you need fitted to keep the ecu light off. Same goes for the SAI valve.

Yes the fuel tank vent valve was left connected to the manifold (it is a slightly bigger hose anycase - approx. 5mm I.D. compared to the 2mm hose I'm left with). SAI valve was disconnected and plugged - this is the correct sized pipe however it stems from the hose to brake servo and not directly from the inlet manifold.

Thanks for suggestions, but still lost for where this hose once went.

Checked timing of cams - fine, any other sugestions appreciated.

Also gammienov16V, immobiliser and key are taped up together in loom. Does your fuel pump run fine without modifying relay wiring, if so when does it cut in and out (i.e. when ignition on or cranking). Can't imagine problem is with immobiliser as it runs fine once started. P.S. Been out in car but don't want to boot it just yet as it needs a bit of running in.:thumb:

Adam
05-08-07, 12:53 PM
The pipe from the brake servo hose goes to the carbon canister on a nova

gammienov216v
05-08-07, 01:48 PM
hi mate its gammie again, wot happens with my eco tec is, wen its runnin, the feul pump relay clicks every so often, then the rev's will drop, like a missfire slightly .also if i rev it under 3500rpm it dose the same, after 3500rpm it runns smoothly.

the feul pump works fine of the relay to, i wired the fuel pump live to the red and blue wire that i choped for the doner car.

im sorry for the way i explain things, i hope it helps you anyway. please let me no how you are gettin on clean 2.0 nova.

oh and im hoping to get a video on here so you can see wot my problem is clearly. good look fella:thumb:

oh yes and wen i turn my engine off it seems to try and keep runnin(pre igniton) i think thats wot you call it, have you had the same truble:confused:

Clean 2.0 nova
05-08-07, 04:59 PM
Replied to your problem gammienov216v on your thread.

Could you assist in telling me where the three 2 mm pipes from the inlet manifold go to (1 is Secondary Air Induction - disconnected on my vehicle, 2 is fuel press. reg, but 3rd is unknown?)

Clean 2.0 nova
08-08-07, 04:21 PM
Still not starting properly - anyone

BTTT

craig green
08-08-07, 05:04 PM
The fuel pump should only prime (or be heard) when the engine is cranking.

Is this spare vac hose (tube) blanked off at the end?

Liking your conversion btw, most people dismiss the ecotecs but they are a fine engine in the shadow of the XE.

Clean 2.0 nova
09-08-07, 09:19 PM
The fuel pump should only prime (or be heard) when the engine is cranking.

Is this spare vac hose (tube) blanked off at the end?

Liking your conversion btw, most people dismiss the ecotecs but they are a fine engine in the shadow of the XE.

Are you sure the pump only cuts in when starting to crank. My experience of injection cars is that you hear the pump as soon as the ignition is turned on, would pump coming in too early have effect on starting?

Hoses blanked BTW

gammienov16v
12-08-07, 01:55 PM
sorry i havnt been in touch ive been in the sin bin mate for txt typein, if i was you go to a.t.p develpments and get the imob removed from the ecu it sould start fine then, as this is wot i did with mine, it isnt cheep it cost me ?205 to get done.

with the feul pump me mate who works at brindly vauxhall said the feul pump will prime for a second wen the ignition is on (makin a noise) then it will stop the noise untill you have the engine runin, then you should here the feul pump constantly.

i hope that helps you clean nov mate

Clean 2.0 nova
12-08-07, 07:47 PM
will mention that at the garage when I drop in in the morning. A few of them have worked for vauxhall in the past. The only 2 problems holding my car up for use is the hard starting and silly loud exhaust, but the latter maybe due to the performance air filter so maybe a bag round it or something.

Clean 2.0 nova
15-08-07, 10:50 PM
Car in garage at moment looking at problem. They are dragging their heels at the moment because i think they are a little puzzled and they are also busy. They double checked valve timing but then hit on the fact that it all points to too advanced ignition timing (makes sense) - but as they know this isn't adjustable on X20XEV. They compression tested pistons and got exceptionally high readings around 200psi if that sounds right. (engine is totally rebuilt). Any help appreciated or anybody know any vauxhall engine experts. The engine has a new crank sensor. Crank 'toothed disc' was never moved from the crank during rebuild. They took vehicle out for a spin and said it does splutter a bit as well. Also they state fuel pump consantly running wouldn't cause problem.

gammienov16v
15-08-07, 10:58 PM
mine still splutters to, im pickled over the matter, the feul pump is supposed to keep runni if it dosn't it wont runn.

dose it stop splutterin when you accelarate hard? mine dose.

gammienov16v
16-08-07, 02:41 PM
have you put a bigger feul return pipe on?