PDA

View Full Version : xe positing?

womble sri
04-08-07, 12:19 PM
now that i have got my engine out of my car it looks as though it has been fouling the bulkhead it looks like there is plent of clearance while the car is sitting but obviously it moves under load. can you move the engine futher forward if you mod the mounts? it also looks like there isnt enough room between the heater matrix rad and the inlet manifold to fit a pipe probably why the previous owner bypassed it. are there different inlets for xe's? its out of the mk3 astra.

cheers neil

Adam
04-08-07, 12:33 PM
Do you have solid mounts fitted?
Its probably engine mounts letting the engine move and hit the bulkhead.

For the heater matrix, you have to modify one of the matrix pipes, i think the best thing do is remove the matrix stub, and use a some flexible plumbers type pipe so it can bend around the inlet.
I think Rich did a quick how to guide somewhere.

womble sri
04-08-07, 01:00 PM
no there rubber my mechanic said solid mounts will make it horrible to drive i guess he means bumpy? which dosent bother me

Adam
04-08-07, 01:03 PM
Solid mounts will make the car vibrate a bit on idle. I wouldn't say they will make it horrible to drive tho, shouldn't really notice once your off idle speed.

Standard rubber mounts are definently the cause of your problem, they move about with a 70hp 1.4, never mind a 160hp xe,Lol.

Welsh Dan
04-08-07, 01:10 PM
Solid mounts by all the reports I've read on here will increase the amount of vibration you feel, but improve handling.

Adam
04-08-07, 01:12 PM
If you dont want spend much you could give the std mounts the tigerseal treatment, lol
Ive done that with all mine, and it makes them much harder, but still with some give.

womble sri
04-08-07, 01:16 PM
are all the engine mounts the same? i have seen the ones by chris astley but there 150 and i have seen some second hand ones from rally used parts? when they say competition do they mean solid? it also says "direct fit for your original rubber mountings" do they mount to or replace them?

cheers neil

Ernie
04-08-07, 03:44 PM
For the heater you need to cut 1 of them down wile the engine is out the 1 on the drivers side.Also make sure that the hole for the clutch cable has been bent or the engine will catch on that to.