PDA

View Full Version : Estimated power...

Nick
03-08-07, 10:28 PM
Next week i'm fitting an AST2 camshaft..

The engine spec will be (roughly)

Fresh Build, Standard Bore, running Unknown comp Ratio, but it's higher than normal !
Dellorto DHLA 40's
Ashley 4-1 Manifold and System
Kent ASt2 Camshaft
Highly Worked head, But it's still got the 1600 Standard Valves in !

There is an RR shootout day, the day after i'm fitting the Camshaft... The carbs are currently spitting alot and could ideally do with a proper Jetting/Setup session as they are...

So any likely figures ? Is it actually worth me spending the ?30 for a shootout ?

womble sri
04-08-07, 10:01 AM
id get it set up first my mechanic set my carbs up by ear to get it the RR after fitting 14se head, carbs, exhaust and manifold and bp300 cam to my sr and the first rum was 95 bhp whhich i was happy with as was spitting and farting and then with some numerous different jets it was running between 110 - 118 with one at 122 which i was more than happy with! after 3.5 hours of fettling i was getting quite bored hust driving the car on the RR and then the operator (peter baldwin) was pointing at the machine with astonishment as it was running 134! and it felt like it as well. a lot of people will argue that it couldnt be but jim kelly had his set up on the same rr and his put out 168 and then 166 on another rr so cant of been that far out.
anyway point is get them set up berfore you go figure chasing!

Adam
04-08-07, 12:34 PM
With the ast2 fitted, the carbs will probably run even worse than they do atm, until you have them setup.

Id definently wait till after the RR to fit the cam, or fit it and get it setup before the RR.

Nick
04-08-07, 04:30 PM
That's what i've thought, but i'm gonna do it for the comedy value...

Or are there issues for the safety of the engine?

Anyway, what am i likely to hit when it's all setup ?

Dan
04-08-07, 07:46 PM
a lot of people will argue that it couldnt be but jim kelly had his set up on the same rr and his put out 168 and then 166 on another rr so cant of been that far out.
anyway point is get them set up berfore you go figure chasing!

lol i wouldnt go using that as an example tbh, i know all to well about the mentioned r/r and have seen jims in action when put back to back with mine at jamsport so know what it runs. It is VERY fast, but not that fast.

The last comment is the best though :thumb: , figures mean diddly and are nothing to worry about or go looking for, its all about how it drives and makes use of the power. The way we built my engine it doesnt use big revs and high figures to do what it does. There's more to life than a bhp figure lol.

Its why its fun to say i only have 140bhp (based on the r/r sheet of lies) but can run qtrs that 'alleged' bigger power 8v cars cant do.

womble sri
05-08-07, 12:25 AM
i agree figure chasing is pointless as there is so much difference in RR did yours beat jims then dan?

Lee
05-08-07, 12:44 AM
i agree figure chasing is pointless as there is so much difference in RR did yours beat jims then dan?

http://firstrung.co.uk/dbimgs/iStock_can%20of%20worms.jpg

lol

Adam
05-08-07, 12:56 AM
Jims is a slighty different spec tho iirc.
300deg Piper cam, Ast2 is about 290ish deg.

Stuart
05-08-07, 09:55 AM
both are fast, both are great fun to drive in very different ways....

dans is like a diesel that revs above 4K
Jims is like a vtec that dosent go above 8K

Dan
05-08-07, 10:04 AM
there's no can of worms involved lol, i built and engine to beat cp's and mc's cars in terms of performance and spec as noone had done so. I did it.

Jims car was a natural evolution to go another step up the ladder and was built to be more powerful than mine. I was partly involved in this also. There are quite a few changes to jims spec that are bigger and better over mine so naturally it makes abit more power like was intended and on the road with a 4.53 cwp it should be abit faster esp with an 8k rev limit.

End of the day myself and jim have chatted in the past and think both cars turned out fairly equal as they stand as mine has evolved abit during this time also but from different angles. Both have different strengths in different area's. The only major difference is the drivers of the cars.