PDA

View Full Version : I need an alarm / immobiliser for my Nova 1.0

marsh_man
01-08-07, 10:26 PM
Hello All,

I am looking to purchase an Alarm & Immobiliser with Remote Locking for my Nova 1.0.

I dont have a huge budget to work on and only want something basic.

I need this ASAP as I live in a dodgy area... full of chavs, etc.
Please recommend the decent systems at the lowest budgets if possible.

Regards,
Shane

Welsh Dan
01-08-07, 10:37 PM
http://www.speeding.co.uk/acatalog/Car_Accessories_Microscan_Car_Security_151.html

marsh_man
01-08-07, 10:44 PM
thanks. do you know any sites that sell both alarm & immobilisers though?
would you say the cobra 3193 is any good?

Welsh Dan
01-08-07, 10:49 PM
Oh sorry, they used to do loads more than that one, I just pasted the link without looking lol. Have you tried halfrauds?

marsh_man
01-08-07, 10:58 PM
hmm went on the site and couldnt find nothing :| ... if anyone else has any suggestions, please let me know.

thanks anyway xen0 ;)

Matt2107
02-08-07, 08:38 AM
Have a search for Gap security... they stock most leading brands.

Will probably be a bit pricey but at least you can pick your model then shop around.

Jack
02-08-07, 08:42 AM
Ebay is your friend. Falcon are ok, and relatively cheap.

What kinda alarm do you want? Basic, door open, siren goes off; or more advanced features such as internal sensors, anti-hijack, battery backup siren etc

Iain
02-08-07, 09:18 AM
would you say the cobra 3193 is any good?

I fitted a Cobra, 3193 I think, and it was very easy to fit and works a treat. Can't say it's the best as I haven't tried any others but I like it.

marsh_man
02-08-07, 09:34 AM
What kinda alarm do you want? Basic, door open, siren goes off; or more advanced features such as internal sensors, anti-hijack, battery backup siren etc

To be honest, id want something which is going to sound if my car is even hit ... as its more likely to put the little s**ts off around this area.

what sort of alarms/immob's do you suggest RJ ?

Jack
02-08-07, 11:29 AM
Items such as Toad, Clifford, etc are good, but pricey. Microscan are ok and cheaper, but the one I used to have in my Nova played up a couple times (drained battery and the accessories were crap). I've just put a Falcon on my Celica and its been good so far. I'm sure others will have some good recommendations based on personal experience as well.

Most have internal shock sensors, so will detect a shunt or bump to the car. I'd also recommend one which has bonnet and boot switches, and battery backup on the alarm. Ultrasonic sensors are good for detecting movement inside the car, but if you leave air vents open they can be set off. Microwave sensors detect movement inside the car as well as proximity outside, and can chirp the alarm if anything gets too close; but as with the Ultrasonics they can be pain to get just the right sensitivity (i ditched my old microwave sensor as it was always either false alarming or wouldn't work at all). I also had a pager tihng as well, but again that was next to useless as the range was crap in built up areas, and it was always false alarming. Remember, the more "toys" you have on an alarm, the more likely they are to break, especially on the cheaper ones!

If your'e putting it in yourself, grab a haynes manual and follow the wiring diagram. Its easy on a Nova.

Other stuff you might want to consider is caging and reinforcing the insides of the doors and tailgate round the locks, switching to solex locks or delocking completely, hidden kill switches (so if they DO break in, they can't start it); also visual deterrants such as stickers or discklocks.

marsh_man
02-08-07, 11:52 AM
Other stuff you might want to consider is caging and reinforcing the insides of the doors and tailgate round the locks, switching to solex locks or delocking completely, hidden kill switches (so if they DO break in, they can't start it); also visual deterrants such as stickers or discklocks.

Hmmm sounds good to me ... something like this with a basic alarm... can you point me in the right direction please mate or PM me and we can talk?

Thanks.

Philsutton
02-08-07, 12:32 PM
Right if you dont have a lot of money I would suggest not getting an alarm, instead remove the Ht lead from the coil an take that with you or some thing else thats easy to stop the engine running. At the end of the day if it has an alarm an they want the car they are taking it anyway. This method has saved my corsa a few times now.

GRUNT 16V
02-08-07, 12:38 PM
Toad Systems !!

marsh_man
02-08-07, 01:04 PM
yeah im thinking about the Toad system. but that will be when i get more money. i need something temporarily.

im quite new to the mechanical side of things... i work with computers only :)
can you tell me where to locate the HT Lead... or would that not be a good idea being a n00b that i am?

Matt2107
02-08-07, 01:17 PM
Shortest lead that goes from your coil to the dizzy.

marsh_man
02-08-07, 01:24 PM
yeah me under the hood isnt good :|
is there any pics / diags to help ...

GRUNT 16V
02-08-07, 01:26 PM
lol lol sprakrite??????????lol lol Argos special

causerino
02-08-07, 03:35 PM
save your money and get a toad a313 they are usually cheapish and good quality!

In the mean time get a visual deterent.....www.halfords.co.uk ans go to car security

Or buy a bulldog and stick them in the back seats

Jack
02-08-07, 03:45 PM
yeah me under the hood isnt good :|
is there any pics / diags to help ...
The leads which come out of front of the engine, from the spark plugs, follow them back to the distributor which will be on the side of the engine. You'll see there's a 5th lead which then comes from the dizzy and heads off to the coil. Thats the one you want to take out to secure the car. The leads just push in and out quite easily, just take care round the coil so as not to zap yourself.

bump
02-08-07, 03:59 PM
The leads which come out of front of the engine, from the spark plugs, follow them back to the distributor which will be on the side of the engine. You'll see there's a 5th lead which then comes from the dizzy and heads off to the coil. Thats the one you want to take out to secure the car. The leads just push in and out quite easily, just take care round the coil so as not to zap yourself.

Won't do any damage to yourself, just leaves you swearing for a min or two. lol

marsh_man
02-08-07, 04:01 PM
So just to confirm... when i finished using the car, open the bonet, disconnect the HT Lead and remember to put it back in the morning?
Unless theres anything easier to stop the engine starting?

Jack
02-08-07, 04:20 PM
Yep, thats the easiest way for the mo.

marsh_man
02-08-07, 04:30 PM
Ok that'll do for the moment.
Thanks all for your help ;)