PDA

View Full Version : Power Steering belt and Crank Sensor

nova1600
01-08-07, 03:27 PM
Anyone ever run into to problems with the power steering and alternator belt in a 1600 8v.

The power steering was on it when I got the car. I've converted the engine to mapped ignition. Was on distributor before that and 45s.

The location of the power steering pump is below the engine moutn and is mounted to the front facing of the block. There is no tension and the alternator is tensioning the belt. The problem is that the belt is rubbing off the crank sensor. Obviously it had no crank sensor before so no problem.
Help?

craig green
01-08-07, 03:44 PM
You've got a 1600 8v with power steering?

No Nova had PAS from the factory so you either have a converted car or are barking on the wrong forum...

Put up some pics is my advice.

Stuart
01-08-07, 03:50 PM
sounds like an ex rally engine to me.... so the power steering might be "valid"

craig green
01-08-07, 03:53 PM
Either a custom pump bracket & a slightly longer belt perhaps to distance the pump further out or just change the pump to a 12v type & mount it away from the crank pulley altogether.

nova1600
01-08-07, 04:53 PM
Yeah its a rally engine. I guess I'm gonna have to come up with something. I thought they did come with power steering. I'd say I'm on my own with this one.

nova1600
02-08-07, 10:44 AM
http://www.almc.ie/content/upload/images/nova/CrankPulleyAlternator.jpg

Ok after inspection my problem lies with the crank sensor and the belt.
It looks to rubbing off the crank sensor. The car has power steering aswell and the pump is mounted below the engine mount. The pulley on the crank with the toothed wheel was already on the car when I bought it.
From what I can see I can't get away with putting on the belt any other way other than going up at an angle from the crank pulley to the alternator and because the crank sensor is at the throw side of the crank and the belt will always have a bit of movement it is going to do the same thing again. I tried putting a tensioner but because the power steering pump is below the engine mount that won't work.
Any suggestions please. As usual there is a rally shortly.

http://www.almc.ie/content/upload/images/nova/CrankSensor.jpg

craig green
02-08-07, 10:49 AM
I would switch to a 12v electric pump. I cant really see another alternative tbh. You cant move the crank sensors position.

nova1600
02-08-07, 11:03 AM
But even if I left off the power steering pump I'd still have the same probelm with the alternator. I wondering was there a diffent crank pulley that i don't have on the car.

Stuart
02-08-07, 12:54 PM
I assume your not using the power steering?

If not then get a pulley setup from something like a gte/gsi with the V drive and crank teeth

nova1600
02-08-07, 01:10 PM
I would like to run the power steering as its a handful to drive without it.

Stuart
02-08-07, 01:31 PM
get down the gym then lol

nova1600
02-08-07, 01:37 PM
Still doens't solve my problem even if I ran with out the power steering. Chances of getting a pulley off a gsi around here are poor.

big phil
02-08-07, 08:30 PM
you could also get a pulley of an early corsa sri. they am single v with the teeth for the crank sensor.

Welsh Dan
02-08-07, 11:43 PM
Could you mount the alternator where the PAS pump is?

nova1600
03-08-07, 09:24 AM
Our suspicion is now that the crank pully that we have on it which is a 6 rib is too big. If we could get a crank pully with 6 ribs that is smaller I reckon we'd be sorted. Now if only I had a list of cars that I could go to the scrappy and try and find it.

Welsh Dan
03-08-07, 10:40 PM
What about a single V pulley and alternator, with (a) spacer(s)?

rysmee
04-08-07, 02:55 AM
i had the same problem.. although only with a single ribbed belt it wore through the crank sensor and cut the engine out. In the end i spaced out the crank and alternator pully's with a washer or two and that gave just enough clearance. The alternator was the close one as the thread isn't very long so with a washer added in there the nut holding the lot on is only a few turns on.. but its lasted a few years now and hasn't failed me yet!

You could also try widening the bolt hole of the cps, depending on how close it is at the mo it may just allow enough to rotate it by a mm or two so still keep the signal good but keep it from rubbing.
I take it its actually causing problems? as a bit of rubbing never hurt anyone... until your engine starts cutting out!

Rallyslag3
05-08-07, 11:09 PM
Just get a belt with one less rib on it!!!
Find a places like Wyko or some other bearing/belt supplier!

nova1600
07-08-07, 09:35 AM
Just in case anybody has a similar problem, I sorted it over the weekend with a pulley off a 1.4 8v multipoint fuel injection. Probally an Sri. The gap between the teeth and the ribs is greater. Once that was one no bother. I was going to get a 5 rib belt but thanks to my local scrappie, problem solved.