PDA

View Full Version : track car

joebradley
31-07-07, 06:43 PM
Hi.
I'm new to this forum, i've tried using the search function, but can't seem to get the infomation im after.

I'm building a track day nova, with either a 2.0 8 valve, or a 16valve, not sure which. Fitting the engines not a problem, but im not sure what to dow ith the brakes!

1. I want to put discs on the back, but i also want to stay 4 stud, how exactly do i go about this?

Also, i plan to vary between 14" wheels and 15" wheels for different gear ratios, swapping brakes is easy, so my plan was to have a set of cav 2.0 brakes, and a set of v6 brakes, swappint hte calipers and discs as needed. So,

2. What do i need to do to fit the 2.0 brakes? disc sizes ect

3. What do i need to do to fit v6 brakes? again, sizes ect.

Thanks

Stuart
31-07-07, 06:44 PM
imho stick with the 256mm 2.0 brakes and fit good pads.... saves money and messing about.

be honest you didnt search... no one does.

oh and no point with rear discs unless your rallying and need a good handbrake. You will hve the bias backed off soooooooo far that they wont be doing anymore than drums anyway

joebradley
31-07-07, 06:54 PM
"oh and no point with rear discs unless your rallying and need a good handbrake. You will hve the bias backed off soooooooo far that they wont be doing anymore than drums anyway" but they look good!!

I also want loads of brake power

Stuart
31-07-07, 06:58 PM
lol ok you go try bunging loads of brake force to the back and tell us the results...

R1CH
31-07-07, 07:01 PM
If you have more powerfull btakes on the rear then there just gonna lock up all the time, i've got rear discs on mine with an inline bias valve thats wound all the way in !! Yes they look cool but there not gonna work any better than a good set of drums.
In the middle of building an XE with a mate, just gonna be using the 16v front brakes with D&G discs and Mintex 1144 pads then rebuild the rear drums ... will be more than enough.

Rich

Dar
31-07-07, 07:03 PM
Listen to these guys they are talking sence. R1ch has described the exact setup I used on track and it was perfect!

Stuart
31-07-07, 07:09 PM
Its cost CP ?1500 in front brakes to get rear discs to work nicely lol

joebradley
31-07-07, 07:11 PM
i know your talking sense! I had discs on the back of my rally car, but i bought it with them on so dont know how to do it. I also know what wud happen if i had too much power to the back, i just wanna know how to do it. same witht he v6 front brakes!

Dar
31-07-07, 07:16 PM
Fair enough.I'm sure the V6 breaks just bolt on.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v485/DPursey/discbr1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v485/DPursey/discbr2.jpg

joebradley
31-07-07, 07:19 PM
spot on! thanks!

Ernie
31-07-07, 08:07 PM
I would'nt bother me self as more of a show thing than eney thing else.

TomMan
01-08-07, 04:22 PM
joe do you live in otley?

craig green
01-08-07, 04:48 PM
The above is true, I actually dont mind admitting that my rear discs were fitted mainly for cosmetic purposes & easier maintainance.

The 2.0 front end brake setup is perfectly good for most users, the issue is that if you use cheap discs with whatever pads, they will warp & generally struggle. You really need to use decent, branded discs & pads like Ferodo DS series or Mintex racing pads to get the most from them, likewise decent fluid suitable for track &/or racing usage.

I would upgrade to a 22mm master cylinder from a Cavalier or V-early Astra GTE 16v. Not a direct fit but they will go on with modding.

Stuart
01-08-07, 05:36 PM
having learnt a bit about brakes rencetly... the smaller the MC bore the higher the fluid pressure at the caliper..... only drawback is that in order to shift the volume at pressure t means longer pedal travel. BUT I've never had a problem with the brakes in dans car and thats on 2.0 stuff upfront, std drums and std MC. V6 stuff and your talking foot to the floor till they bit and when they by christ do they bite with little modulation available lol

draper
01-08-07, 05:36 PM
as said rear discs are more of a hinderence than a help, only good for looks really

saying that my current nova is sat with a rear disk beam lol which will prob stay as im 5studding it :thumb: