PDA

View Full Version : help with avos

kevster
30-07-07, 05:53 PM
i have a set of the coilovers on the front and the near side front one knocks really badly dose anyone ahave any idears why i have ecentric top mounts on the car too
thanks kev:thumb:

Dar
30-07-07, 06:14 PM
Not a clue mate. I would jack up the front and have a good look around to see if you can find anything lose or worn. Give everything a good ole tug etc. Thats the best I can do.

Stuart
30-07-07, 06:44 PM
probalby a lower balljoint on the TCA..

leave the car on the floor and look under there while someone puches down on things... the noises tend to only appear under load.

kevster
30-07-07, 07:07 PM
all is fine had it up on the two poster at work noplay any b/j or even track rodends the spring is a wee bit lose tho thinking about it that mite be the problem , every time i hit a bump it must move about :(

dar are you runing avos if so do your do this ??

Stuart
31-07-07, 08:28 AM
its a noise etc that needs to be looked at on the floor with the setup under compression otherwise you will never find the worn item lol

Geth
31-07-07, 08:59 AM
When running AVOs with eccy top mounts it is quite common that the big nut won't fasten down securely on the top mount because there is not enough thread on the piston. I used 3 washers under each top mount to create a 5mm spacer which raised the top mount and allowed the nut to screw down firmly. I would put a picture up but I'm in work right now. Should be able to put one up later if it helps.

Geth

Dar
31-07-07, 12:04 PM
dar are you runing avos if so do your do this ??
Yup i'm running AVO's and mine are fine. When you have it up on a two poster ramp the sping will rattle about since its not under load and the suspension drops, thats normal. Do as Stu suggests put it under load and then try wobbling the spring. Also if its just on one side you could compare one side to the other so see where the differance is.

kevster
31-07-07, 06:24 PM
When running AVOs with eccy top mounts it is quite common that the big nut won't fasten down securely on the top mount because there is not enough thread on the piston. I used 3 washers under each top mount to create a 5mm spacer which raised the top mount and allowed the nut to screw down firmly. I would put a picture up but I'm in work right now. Should be able to put one up later if it helps.

Geth
i have got the 3 washers on mine as well , put it on the 4 poster at work to still no play any were !!! really getting on my tits now arrrrrrrrrr:mad: im starting to think thats just the way they are :cry:

i have thursday off i will try and get some pics up to try and help show you guys what i mean

Stuart
31-07-07, 06:45 PM
T.AKE IT OFF THE 4 POSTER... it wont let you find the problem..... or should dar and I just not bother?

Dar
31-07-07, 06:54 PM
Just throwing some ideas at you now :D

Checked the rose joint in the top mount?

Try tightening up the bolts that connect the strut to the hub (They can work lose and move, you won't be able to move them with your hands but they will move). Do the same with everything else. Just take a spanner to it and try to do it up.

Jack it up or get it on a two poster ramp so that suspension hangs loose and have another check.

kevster
01-08-07, 06:02 PM
T.AKE IT OFF THE 4 POSTER... it wont let you find the problem..... or should dar and I just not bother?

:wtf: :wtf:

kevster
01-08-07, 06:08 PM
Just throwing some ideas at you now :D

Checked the rose joint in the top mount?

Try tightening up the bolts that connect the strut to the hub (They can work lose and move, you won't be able to move them with your hands but they will move). Do the same with everything else. Just take a spanner to it and try to do it up.

Jack it up or get it on a two poster ramp so that suspension hangs loose and have another check.

done the above to day all is ft , i think its some think to do with the spring coz when its on the floor and i bounce the car up and down you can hear it a little bit but when i hit a bump in the road ats so noisey !!! i will remove them in the morning and post pics up to see what you guys think

kevster
02-08-07, 03:12 PM
thanks for you help dar and stuart problem sorted now :)

gazz
02-08-07, 04:19 PM
what was the problem in the end?

Dar
02-08-07, 04:21 PM
thanks for you help dar and stuart problem sorted now :)
Your more than welcome mate. Glad to hear its sorted:thumb: