PDA

View Full Version : car impounded??

ReeceH
30-07-07, 05:23 PM
right, my mate was stopped while driving my corsa to tthe mot station and since he had no insurance the car was impounded...

since it wasnt on the road i had no insurance on it or out so i had to get insurance and when the certificate came through went to police station today and they give me the ok,and faxed the impound garage (which is a local car recovery garage) and when i went for the car they signed the papers ect to say i collected the car and i payed the fee's then the guy tells me, he cant let me have it as he has to wait on VOSA coming to check the car over

now im assuming this is because of the 2.0 turbo being in it.
its currently down as a 1.6 on the logbook but i was actually going to change it before putting it on the road.

just wondering if anyones been in a similar situation and what vosa check over ect???

Mike
30-07-07, 05:31 PM
If the logbooks still says 1.6 you could be in for a whole heap of hassle now!!

ReeceH
30-07-07, 05:45 PM
ive never even had the car on the road though, bought it over a month ago and its always been off the road, no tax, no mot, or insurance so i having exactly driven it undeclared?

if i said ive just converted it, and i was gonna mot it then change it, i dont see the problem??? are the garage even allowed to check my car over while they have it?

Nick
30-07-07, 05:49 PM
Well the MOT station should be MOT'ing it as a 2.0 ! So you should have changed the lob book before driving it on the road ...

If i were you, i'd Send it off ASAP and say it's being processed at the DVLA and your just getting your MOT in the mean-time.

But even then, you're slightly in the wrong

matthew172
30-07-07, 06:01 PM
it will be crushed if u dont watch out

Jack
30-07-07, 06:42 PM
How did your mate drive it to the MOT station without taking it on a road?

draper
30-07-07, 06:52 PM
are the garage even allowed to check my car over while they have it?

of course they are thats the whole point of an MOT, the fact the car has been on the road with no MOT and the wrong 'engine' in means VOSA can do what the hell they like

id make sure your there when VOSA are and try and explain it there and then

Geth
30-07-07, 07:00 PM
I think Draper's right. You're going to have to plead ignorance and be very apologetic. From my experiance VOSA can be absalute *******s so just don't piss 'em off, when it comes to cars they have more power than the Police.

Adam
30-07-07, 07:06 PM
Yep as above.
Vosa are **** hot on everything, they'll probably give it a MOT type affair, and check EVERYTHING.

ReeceH
30-07-07, 07:21 PM
really the car was taken without my consent. if i had no intention of putting it on the road till the v5 was declared, and as i had just converted it that weekend and the car was taken on the monday, i didnt get the chance to change it. so im hoping they will make me change it on the v5 and let me have the car back

Adam
30-07-07, 07:25 PM
Your mate will be done for no insurance, invalid tax, taking without owners consent.

Altho i think your allowed drive to a prebooked Mot without tax.

Jack
30-07-07, 07:26 PM
^ You can also be done for letting said mate drive without insurance.

Geth
30-07-07, 07:33 PM
Your mate will be done for no insurance, invalid tax, taking without owners consent.

^ You can also be done for letting said mate drive without insurance.

I love these laws, You either screw your mate over, or you try and rescue him and both end up in the sh1t. Wouldn't like to be in your shoes right now!

Adam
30-07-07, 07:35 PM
Indeed.
Its not looking good.

Nick
30-07-07, 07:37 PM
Well you better tell the police your mate took the car without your concent..

But Surely, if he was taking it to be MOT'd for you, how did he not have your concent ?

Police aren't stupid. I don't think there is anything you can do.

Adam
30-07-07, 07:39 PM
Hmm, yeah.

As you cant really say your mate has stolen the car(which in theory he has if it was without consent) to take it get mot'd?

Ernie
30-07-07, 07:40 PM
This dont look good from which ever way you look at it bud.

ReeceH
30-07-07, 07:55 PM
yeh am right up **** creek, with no boat,never mind a paddle lol

my mate doesnt mind me saying he twocced the car as he really doesnt have much to lose lol

but what am gonna say is, we done the conversion on weekend and while i was at work he took my car for an mot without my consent thinking it wud be ok, he didnt know about the whole changing logbook thing

so hopefully he will get done for twoc and no insurance and al get my car back lol

Ernie
30-07-07, 08:02 PM
good luck. i would cross your fingers/toe's and bollox fella.

ReeceH
30-07-07, 08:16 PM
al keep yous updated on what happens lol

Dan 130
30-07-07, 08:58 PM
i didnt think you needed insurance to drive to a prebooked m.o.t as long as you booked in because obviously even if you had insurance no m.o.t would mean it was void

dave.gsi
30-07-07, 09:00 PM
your screwed, probably both screwed to be precise.

look at it from the police/court point of view...........

stopped an uninsured,untaxed,un m.o.t'd car with an undeclared engine conversion. your up s.hit creek big time. my bets is on the car being crushed, if it goes to court ignorance isnt a defence and they'll probably throw the book at you!

and your lucky you got this far,....surely getting insurance after the offence is dodgy. on the certificate the 'insurance start time' will surely be after the 'offence' time on the police form? therefore proving the car wasnt insured by you at the time either..........

surely thats all the proof they need to crush it as it was found on the public roads?

Jack
30-07-07, 09:42 PM
i didnt think you needed insurance to drive to a prebooked m.o.t as long as you booked in because obviously even if you had insurance no m.o.t would mean it was void
No, you need insurance but can do without tax.

dave.gsi
30-07-07, 10:12 PM
^^in theory, it would then be possible to ring and book your car into a different garage out of the yellow pages every day of the year, and never have to pay tax again?!

Mike
30-07-07, 10:16 PM
yeah but what it costs for MOTs youd end up lesser off lmao!

Or you could by a Non VIC checked insurance write off car, and never ever ever ever get tax reminders nor fines for paying your tax a month late as you were out of the country :D

dave.gsi
30-07-07, 10:44 PM
yeah but what it costs for MOTs youd end up lesser off lmao!

well you wouldnt actually pay for the mot up front would you! or go to any of them!
get the yellow pages out,...ring 352 garages, book your car at a different garage each day for the year, all they ask for over the phone is the reg number to write it in their book.

then if ever you do get stopped by the police for having no tax you can tell them its pre booked for an mot at 'so an so's' and your on your way to it. the police ring and check and sure enough your reg is in their book for that day!

all you need to do is have a calender handy in car, with the date,. and what garage it'll be down for for that day! when you see the blue lights in your mirror get it out the glove box and have a peak before pulling over.

theoretically its possible, no more car taxlol

ReeceH
31-07-07, 05:31 PM
wel folks rang them today and they said i can collect the car, aslong as i collect it on a trailer. as vosa have checked it over good and propper lol and given it a prohibition notice. basically theres some faults with the car that need sorting before its allowed on the road. bit like a strict mot lol. im not quite sure what they have found, but from what i could think of... handbrake dont work,horn dont work, ps belt needs tightened,smokes alot, too low?

this is explanation of the prohibition notice
http://www.horsebox-rescue.co.uk/html/body_vosa_prohibition_notice.html

ah well am rather chuffed am getting it back anyway but i wont speak too soon till its sitting in my car park lol

draper
31-07-07, 05:53 PM
good news matey :thumb:

Jack
31-07-07, 05:54 PM
That'll probably be an SVA then. Result!

edens-xe
31-07-07, 06:37 PM
you lucky bugger:eek: :eek:

RJM25R
31-07-07, 08:28 PM
so it's all ok then?

don't count your chickens! I'm sure there's an IN10 waiting for someone!

gazz
31-07-07, 08:42 PM
thats lucky what they have done.
have they given you so many days to have it sorted?

MyNovaSr
31-07-07, 09:30 PM
6 points and a ?200 fine on the way to you. have a nice day :thumb:

ReeceH
01-08-07, 12:21 AM
the person who was driving the car will be getting the 6 points for no insurance, not me as i wasnt driving it

Jack
01-08-07, 08:28 AM
Yes, but according to the law you're liable for prosecution for allowing someone to drive your car without having valid insurance. If its someone you know then forget using the defence that he nicked it as that probably won't hold water.

ReeceH
01-08-07, 05:50 PM
ah well got it back today, with a scratch on my bumper!!!!!!! so av put a complain in and they claim it was nowt to do with them,bollocks!

but yeah its back with a nice list of 15 things that need doing before its allowed onm the road, mainly ****ty things like, looses seat,wipers not working,handbrake not working,bumper insecure ect...

wahooo lol

dave.gsi
01-08-07, 08:41 PM
with a list like that, what was it doing on its way for an mot?!!lol

ReeceH
02-08-07, 12:35 AM
oh i knew there was stuff wrong so thought ad put it in,get the fail sheet and just knock them off and fire it back in next day ;) lol

Kinky Monza
02-08-07, 12:51 AM
You are aware that various people like insurers/police etc read car forums, and seeing as this is a public board with no protection for viewing guests i'd say you're gonna have to be VERY careful!

novabeast
03-08-07, 08:48 PM
vosa r a**holes,just say it was off the road so u didnt bother changing it,once it was on the road u were going to change the documents