PDA

View Full Version : Timing

Mike
30-07-07, 02:12 PM
is there anyway i can set my timing without acess to a timing light?

craig green
30-07-07, 02:49 PM
with a spanner.....

Timing light checks it!

Maybe make some det cans & set it up on the road. ??

Mike
30-07-07, 02:53 PM
I know the timing is out, as its got a slight miss and is way down on power. But is there anyway i can set & check it without a timing light?

Adam
30-07-07, 03:45 PM
Depending on which dizzy you have, there should be a arrow/notch on the body, or under the dizzy cap.
You align the rotorarm with that notch when the bottom pully mark is aligned, which should get the timing somewhere close.

You'll know if its too far retarded as you'll have huge flat spots/hesistation.

Mike
30-07-07, 05:16 PM
sorted it now :D went over an saw my engine guy, nicked his timing gun :D

Upon shining it onto the pulley (with engine running) the notch & V shape were out by a good inch!!! No wonder that other GSi skinned me last night lol lol

craig green
30-07-07, 05:20 PM
Depending on which dizzy you have, there should be a arrow/notch on the body, or under the dizzy cap.
You align the rotorarm with that notch when the bottom pully mark is aligned, which should get the timing somewhere close.

You'll know if its too far retarded as you'll have huge flat spots/hesistation.

I never really knew there was a spec on timing the E16. I asked many a time & was always told it makes no odds. I thought different.

I learnt something today! :thumb:

Atleast you go back & d-ick him next time. He'll think you have bought NOS! lol

Adam
30-07-07, 05:21 PM
Which way were they out tho? Lol
Over advanced? Or retarded?

Have you drove it since?

Craig-A lot of people just say the timing aint adjustable as its "ecu controlled", which is complete bollox.
It is ecu controlled through the revs, but the initial static idle timing is set by the dizzy, which the ecu then works from to advance. So you can adjust it just like a carb dizzy.

Mike
30-07-07, 05:30 PM
Which way were they out tho? Lol
Over advanced? Or retarded?

Have you drove it since?

Craig-A lot of people just say the timing aint adjustable as its "ecu controlled", which is complete bollox.
It is ecu controlled through the revs, but the initial static idle timing is set by the dizzy, which the ecu then works from to advance. So you can adjust it just like a carb dizzy.

I had to advance the timing so idle was 1800rpm+ (not good i know!) else it would miss fire so bad itll stall!! Ive not drove it since doing the timing, as im just having some food lol

Yeah, the way i timed it up is how youd do an SR, just point the gun and adjust the dizzy till the notch's line up when idleing :D

craig green
30-07-07, 05:30 PM

Yeah thats what I wouldve thought, but when you are clueless & a trusted mechanic & other sources tell you otherwise. I beleived them.

Later though we played with it after a HG rebuild on the turbo & I noticed how much better the revs were picking up.