PDA

View Full Version : Direct Swap?? Carbs to Throttle Bodies???

Anonymous
10-04-02, 06:27 PM
Hi,
I have a 1.3sr engine with the following:

Twin Weber 40s
Irmscher Inlet Manifold
Kent Cam Kit
Stage 2 Head
Magnex fulll exhaust system
Ashley 4 branch manifold

The other day I took my car to an ICE shop to have some speakers replaced and my system rewired and when it was there the idiots put my choke on full from within the engine bay itstead of just lightly giving it some gas for 5 mins and letting the engine warm up. This has completely unbalanced my carbs and they will need retuning again. I have had to get them retuned a lot since Ive had twin40s and I am sick of it. But in saying that they had stayed in tune for about 2 months since replacing my brake servo seal. Anyway what I was wondering was if the twin 40s could be directly swapped for a set of 40mm throttle bodies. If not is there a throttle body kit out there for the 1.3 sr engine and also when I eventually get my 1.6 16v conversion could the the throttle bodies be reused.

Matty

Anonymous
10-04-02, 06:52 PM
its a very easy but costly (well if you dont know the rite peeps) upgrade. BUT they are so good and if you can be arsed to drive light footed you can get massive MPG out of em lol the conversion will cost between ?1000 and as much as you can think of lol

I'd sugegst 42mm DCOE type bodies esp if your gonna get a 1.6 conversion done. and if your cunning you can keep the 40's manifold ;)

Stuart - droll guy with great arse and suicidal tendencies but
great in bed.

(from MIG)

Anonymous
11-04-02, 10:53 AM
SOunds like there is something really wrong with your particular carbs. There is no reason why your carbs should go out of balance by using too much choke, and come to that, you shouldn't even need to have a choke. No matter what the weather, a decent setup pair of carbs will start first time and need nothing more than two or three blips of the throttle to get them idling. If the carbs are setup properly, and all the fixings and balance screws are loctite'd in place nothing should move and therefore they shouldn't go out of tune. Mine only did once and that was the balance screw unwinding itself with the vibrations, but I re-balanced them which is very easy, and dropped a dab of nail varnish (very fetching colour) on the thread to stop it moving again. You need to take time to understand the carbs rather than just paying someone else to keep sorting it. once you know what you are doing, you'll love em.