PDA

View Full Version : Jap or French?

sulphur
29-07-07, 09:29 PM
Right, I think I've gone off nova's. Well, to an extent, I love 'em to bits but like everyone I've thought was decent and bought, this one is fallin' to sh*te. Plannin' on puttin' up with it till I've got a bit more dosh saved to make the decision.

Just curious on peoples opinions, I've got my heart set on one of two cars. One being a R5Gtt, other being a Glanza V. Obviously both are small turbos, both capable of silly bhp, the r5 has reliability issues, but if looked after shouldn't be too bad. On the other hand, for a decent Glanza, is nearly double what a mint r5 would be.

I've loved r5's since I was a kid, but the jap hatch is really tempting.

Opinions?

Cheers:D

coochiSR
29-07-07, 09:32 PM
Jap all the way, and how much you loking at spending, i'd of thought you'd of got a mint Glanza cheaper than a R5......

Nick
29-07-07, 09:35 PM
R5's are tempremental but a standard one should be A-ok !

May as well jump on the bandwagon and go Jap - Everyone else is !

smcgsi16v
29-07-07, 09:39 PM
Standard R5's do sill look quite cool and are as rare as a Glanza. I woould personally go for the R5.

sulphur
29-07-07, 09:39 PM
A mint Glanza V is pushin 4k. In reality I could find that, but don't have it if you know what I mean.
2-3k will find me a 'close as can get' mint r5. Insurance is tolerable for the r5, but I'm unsure with the Glanza, can't find it's group.

I prefer the look of the r5, slightly over the glanza..but still...uncertain. Definetly want a turbo, and smaller engine the better for insurance, but the two mentioned can still play drag strip with the big boys, and I couldn't bear to go down in power from a gsi to something crap. :(

Lee
29-07-07, 09:58 PM
Its got to be the jap tbh if your fed up with your present car for falling to bits!

Ernie
29-07-07, 10:01 PM
I would have to say jap as i work for them and got 1.

Jack
29-07-07, 10:02 PM
Glanza, clearly. Better than a R5 on so many levels, even the Starlet is, IMO :D

Being an import, expect to be severely raped for insurance though. IF you can find a UK one - and thats a massive IF, as I'm not entirely sure the Glanza made it to the shores of blighty and if it did, it will most likely have lost the turbo - then get it.

General Baxter
29-07-07, 10:04 PM
id go for an R5 with the volvo 1.7t engine ;)

causerino
29-07-07, 10:09 PM
If you going jap get a proper one.....200sx all the way in my opinion! Its a hell lot of car for not a lot of money!

General Baxter
29-07-07, 10:10 PM
waits for mike, mk3 supra lol

coochiSR
29-07-07, 10:16 PM
TBH, Glanza's are nice cars, and i know the GT Turbo's (early one's) are group 13 on insurance, and have you thought about a GT Turbo over the Glanza?
IMO R5 are awful, never really liked them, due to all the probelms i've heard about them.
If you want a small engined turbo, a Punto GT? 1.4 8v Turbo's, quick for what they are.

Jack
29-07-07, 10:19 PM
If you going jap get a proper one.....200sx all the way in my opinion! Its a hell lot of car for not a lot of money!
Good call, although a lot of jap cars are worth peanuts now if you're willing to get an older one. Mk3 Supra, ST205 and 185, most of the 200SX line, GTO, R32, etc. If you avoid "popular" ones like Imprezas, Evos, Mk4 Supras, later Skylines, you can get bargains :D

A Uk 3000GT went on ebay a couple of days ago for ?4500 - 320bhp 4wd for less than ?5k can't be sniffed at!

sulphur
29-07-07, 10:20 PM
Not keen on the look of the punto, just doesn't appeal to me in the slightest. 200sx, no chance for insurance. Only problem I know of the r5 is the headgasket, due to high boost without proper prep for it.
I'm more a fan of older cars, seem to have more character, but the glanza is still so appealing.
The startlet gt doesn't have the right looks, like the glanza, but i've been told repairs for them are hefty in cost 'cos they're rare. Although I assume r5 parts would be the same...

coochiSR
29-07-07, 10:24 PM
Yeah as all Starlet Turbo's are Imports, the Glanza's and GT's, so harder to insure. I'd personally say if you get on an owner's site for either, bits won't be hard to find though.

coochiSR
29-07-07, 10:25 PM
Good call, although a lot of jap cars are worth peanuts now if you're willing to get an older one. Mk3 Supra, ST205 and 185, most of the 200SX line, GTO, R32, etc. If you avoid "popular" ones like Imprezas, Evos, Mk4 Supras, later Skylines, you can get bargains

Id rather have one anyway!!! My bro is looking at an Evo 3, under 4 grand :D

Jack
29-07-07, 10:25 PM
Seriously, if you're concerned about insurance, forget the Glanza :( As said, it'll more than likely be an import, ABI don't have Glanzas and even list the GTT up to 93 as an import only. [edit] Ahhh, they are all imports, that'll be why then lol

S13 is only group 16, and what you'd save in purchase price of the R5, you could put towards insurance.

coochiSR
29-07-07, 10:27 PM
Yeah, RJ is true, they couldn't find my bro's '93 GT on they're computer! lol. And as said ALL Turbo Starlets are turbo's!!!

Jack
29-07-07, 10:31 PM
ALL Turbo Starlets are turbo's!!!
Award for "stating the bleedin' obvious" goes to you :D

Hmm, Glanza:

http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~bhkeng/glanza/images/EP91-White.jpg

.... or R5:

http://www.innfusion.com/blogimages/Brick.jpg

Mike
29-07-07, 10:31 PM
waits for mike, mk3 supra lol

haha you knows it :D if you can afford 3.0 tax, what other car can you get for ?900 with 232bhp, 6cyl a turbo and leathers :thumb:

Or an old GT4? MR2 (N/A as the turbos are still pricey)

Jack
29-07-07, 10:32 PM
Tax on a Mk3 Supra will be ?180 per year, same as a 1.6 GSi/GTE nova :thumb:

Mike
29-07-07, 10:34 PM
Tax on a Mk3 Supra will be ?180 per year, same as a 1.6 GSi/GTE nova :thumb:

All the more reason for me to sell mine then! An extra ?400 on the insurace for the Toyota too lol

s14a
29-07-07, 11:29 PM
glanzas are very reliable cars and are very easy tunned to 170-180bhp, these are very comon over here in ireland but have a serious chav image due to chavs playin with dump valves in towns and tryin to race anything that moves lol
prices here are alot cheeper than uk because the market is flooded with them
there big problem is handling, coilovers are a must.....
i prefer the gt turbo, if you can find a gt advance wich are black/silver there a rare high spec model with more power/lsd standard
all have 130bhp standard
just be wary of running high boost as this is the only reason they can blow up....

have you considerd a vzr pulsar, 175bhp standard or sir civic 175 bhp standard, even the bzr/bzg levin are 165 bhp and all are very reliable...
if you want fun get a ae86 levin
heres my gt turbo starbo
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o66/bluenovagsi/STARbo.jpg

Matt2107
30-07-07, 01:14 PM
Dont bother with Jap or French... go German with a VW, Audi or BMW

tom_beverley
30-07-07, 01:33 PM
I quite like the Glanza's and GT Turbo's, but have a big soft spot for the Toyota Trueno AE86 - beast of a car.

As previously stated you can get big bhp for your money with the older jap cars. Personally I wouldn't touch a R5 as there are far better (quicker and reliable) alternatives.

Jack
30-07-07, 01:48 PM
I've never been particularly keen on the AE86 Corolla, always thought it was a bit overrated and overpriced for what you get. Blame Initial D and its fanboys for keeping the prices high lol

causerino
30-07-07, 01:55 PM
Not keen on the look of the punto, just doesn't appeal to me in the slightest. 200sx, no chance for insurance.
Look around for insurance....For me on my own, fully comp, 20yrs old, 3yrs NCB, UK car (they are about!) was 1100......they wanted ?1269 for a 300SX as well lol

IMO thats cheap for my age!

In fact if you want to keep it to a hatch back....EK9 Civic Type R..!!!!

craig green
30-07-07, 02:28 PM
Very interesting options & oddly, difficult to seperate.

I like the looks of the 5 & its quirky image. They are a hoot to drive but so many aspects of ownership is flawed. I'm fond of the Glanza's too so its a toughie for me.

I'd say buy the R5 but only because I know my way around them pretty well.

You'd have to be nuts to choose an 80's carb'd & pushrod engine over a jap, fuel injected, modern day motor.....
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c323/turbocraig/HOT%20METAL/raidersofthelostarc.jpg

5 turbo's sound awesome at full chat though.

Mike
30-07-07, 02:28 PM
In fact if you want to keep it to a hatch back....EK9 Civic Type R..!!!!

hope hes got about ?7k spare then :thumb:

The only drawback with Jap cars, is the price of parts, there fecking stupidly pricey! Altho, Honda do supply panels pre painted :D

EDIT: And civic bumpers from Honda pre painted are cheaper then a F/G GSi bumper ;)

Philsutton
30-07-07, 02:57 PM
I would go for the glanza as the R5's are pants and are worse than novas when it comes to falling to bits. However a R5 with the volvo 1.7 in is a different story, if you do go the R5 change the engine to something better.

s14a
30-07-07, 04:26 PM
I've never been particularly keen on the AE86 Corolla, always thought it was a bit overrated and overpriced for what you get. Blame Initial D and its fanboys for keeping the prices high lol

dude initial d has very little to do with it, in the uk they wernt popular untill that film, in ireland and other countries where they were popular there capabilities were well known...
iv had 300bhp s14as etc and iv had more fun in a ae86 than them, there a pure drivers car...
heres my 2 ae86, the white 1 has a sr20 from a silvia lol
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o66/bluenovagsi/sr204.jpg
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o66/bluenovagsi/sr202.jpg

s14a
30-07-07, 04:29 PM
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o66/bluenovagsi/twincam1.jpg

s14a
30-07-07, 04:30 PM
very few engines sound as nice as a 4age on full chat
my black 1 has carbs etc
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o66/bluenovagsi/86Levin14.jpg

dave.gsi
30-07-07, 09:07 PM
^^ oh yes, i am feeling the love :thumb:

very nice indeedio

euro sbd
30-07-07, 09:11 PM
ive had plenty of both, japs for being reliable, french rot,unreliable,expensive but very fun

sulphur
30-07-07, 09:27 PM
Hmm, more options being thrown than i expected. Lovin' that white ae86, vary lovely. Lookin' more n more, i'm more drawn to the r5, but i really can't put my finger on what's pullin' me in...

s14a
30-07-07, 10:40 PM
that white ae86 is for sale at the minute lol
11950 euro and its urs....

lad i think r5s are lovely but are they really worth the trouble, starbos are the same idea and way more reliable

sulphur
30-07-07, 10:45 PM
i'll have to fish around for insurance quotes, with bein 21 an only havin 1ncb currently, import might sting a little. could hold back till i've got 2ncb, dunno what difference that'd make though. r5 insurance is tolerable atm, but they're both dead nice cars. I guess i'll have to test drive both, see which i prefer best.

that corolla is bloody lovely though.:thumb:

Wee_Watsi
30-07-07, 10:51 PM
Jap all the way, as said, you will be buying a carb'd pushrod engine with a turbo with the R5, which to me sounds like a stupid combination, a disaster waiting to happen, but thats my opinion, french cars are known to be unreliable heaps.

I bought a starlet sportif non-turbo after my nova for ?500 with 144500 miles on it, it now had 152100 miles and hasnt given one problem, i expect that toyota will have the same sort of reputation and build quatlity for their other models, especially imports.

I can see no reason to pick an R5 over a glanza, there is no contest IMO.

But at the end of the day, its your decision and best of luck with whatever you end up with. But an xe nova is always just as inviting lol

Wee_Watsi

s14a
30-07-07, 10:54 PM
youl pick the starlet, interior is far nicer, more bits like a/c etc
and way more able for boost, parts are nowhere near as hard to get as made out especially as the starbo is so reliable

theres a few starlet turbo owners clubs out there if you want info/parts
very easy car to get to 180bhp without touchin the block...

cheers the ae86 or cams/coupes as there know here are some craic...

sulphur
30-07-07, 11:10 PM
The only difference between the starbo and the glanza is the facelift, right? How easy are starbos to tune, beyond the 200 mark, and does it come at a cost? is reliabilty sacrificed to achieve it? I know it wobbles the r5's. Seein' as you own one, s14a, what's the drive like? even on lowered suspension? is it nova-like with the smallest bump feeling like a ditch? More info please:D

s14a
31-07-07, 01:36 AM
basically ye its the shape, ecu is different on them, few small changes but nothing to much...

a 180bhp starbo is a usable everyday car, reliable,drivable and keep up any wrx imprezas ass... also is cheep enough to get, just the usuall boost controler,fmic,exhaust etc,
anything over is where you have to open the block and it gets expensive,most lads over 200bhp go for 1.5 bottom ends, but i really dont think youd need any more than 180bhp...
dont own 1 anymore lol

standard suspension is shoppin trolley like, coilovers are a must, they are less rattly than a nova and alot better built so yes more comfortable
in my eyes they arnt as go-karty as a nova with power steering, some remove this...

Jack
31-07-07, 09:03 AM
I've seen some Starlet/Glanza turbos (I refuse to call them "starbos", thats like calling a LET nova a "Nurbo" LMFAO) hitting the 350bhp mark :eek:

s14a
31-07-07, 01:13 PM
I've seen some Starlet/Glanza turbos (I refuse to call them "starbos", thats like calling a LET nova a "Nurbo" LMFAO) hitting the 350bhp mark :eek:

yep thats possible, there very popular in drag racing in oz:eek:

sorry im use to callin them that, its a take the piss name for chavs that drive them lol there always goin on bout there turbos:roll: