PDA

View Full Version : metallic rattle

dannyb
27-07-07, 05:34 PM
I have noticed that when my 1.2 carb is put under load (with passengers, uphill, under acceleration), it makes a rattling noise. It was running advanced where the centrifugal advance thing in the dizzy was broken (one spring) and to cure it short term, I advanced it, but this meant it was pinking. I have retarded it back so it is timed up correctly Can it still be pinking and this is the noise accociated with it? It doesnt rattle when revved in neutral, only under load. I noticed one of the bolts holding the exhaust to the downpipe (the ones with the spring around them) has a broken spring, could this be one of the contributing factors with an exhaust which is rattling about? Sorry if this doesnt make full sense, I'm in a hurry!:)

Cheers, Dan

Nova_Tek
27-07-07, 06:00 PM
You tried the waterpump?

My 1.2 carb, although it ticks a bit, was making one hell of a loud tick/rattle. In the end it was water pump bearings that had went and a 16 quid water pump sorted it out, now shes very quiet.

paddy138
27-07-07, 07:35 PM
id say its something in the gearbox. because if the engine is reving ok in neutral, and its only making noise when pilling in gear. could be a bearing in the gear box

Nick
27-07-07, 08:33 PM
Try the Crappy tin heatshield that's over the exhaust manifold if you still have it.

Mine used to do the same thing when it was standard 1.2 ! It rotted, and whenever load was applied to the engine it would rattle

dannyb
28-07-07, 11:39 AM
Thank you for your responses everyone, I've discovered that if you drive with the choke out, It disappears, maybe running too lean?

mad-driver
28-07-07, 01:32 PM
exactly, its pinking...

On a second note if its pinking i wouldnt just drive with the choke on, i would get it looked at. Is the timing bang on?

Welsh Dan
28-07-07, 01:59 PM
Retard the ignition timing a bit, or try a tank of 'super unleaded' and see if that helps.

tom_beverley
28-07-07, 03:46 PM
Definately pinking, retard your ignition a little.

dannyb
29-07-07, 11:08 AM
I got the strobe out, got retarded and replaced the springs in the advance with scrapyard ones yesterday and its running really well now, no pinking! Thank you all - rep given!