PDA

View Full Version : What poundage for coil overs

a2lt16v
24-07-07, 04:23 PM
Just bought some new SPax coil overs and was wondering what poundage springs every one runs on there xe novas

the ones i have got are only 258lbs but i have heard people talking about 300lbs ones.
any one got any opinions on this from past experience and what im likely to experience when i stick them on tonight.

my avo coil overs split open and dumped there fluid so i bought these hoping they would be better.

Stuart
24-07-07, 04:39 PM
apx and avo are basically the same..... they borrow each others designs lol. so the spax might do the same in a year.

but all coilovers need an annual checkup anyway regardless of the make (even Ohlins... infact moreso)

Lee
24-07-07, 04:52 PM
Coilovers tend to burst when you wind up the stiffness on the shocks all the way instead of upgrading to stiffer springs. That mistake is made a lot, and Avo get slated for it which isnt fair IMO

And yes, 300lb springs are best for a c20.

a2lt16v
24-07-07, 08:45 PM
the spax coilover look nothing like the avo ones i have (well had i just put them in the wheely bin at last)

the spax spring is way longer i have just put them on but have left the damper settings at the point they tell you to start them at i might get some stiff springs,

also these spax ones are gas and the avo ones were oil not sure what difference that makes

Riggy
25-07-07, 11:25 AM
the first design of avo ones were crap , i know because i have them , purple bushes in them , i poped all 4 and bent 2 pistons on my sr lol

had them sent back to avo and refurbs though , this time the have been done to the later spec red bushes lol ?258 it cost me , been sat in a box for over 15 months and ive been using gmax pmsl

Mazz
26-07-07, 04:52 PM
For different springs, measure the original spring's inside diametre and try www.raldes.co.uk
I bought some 62mm i.d (i think) 300lb, 8" for my FK coilovers..