PDA

View Full Version : Mick - F13 box to 1.8

Anonymous
20-10-00, 11:49 PM
Hi Mick!
Finished translating the damn article (I hate German!!), so here's the scoop:
The guy also wanted to keep his drive shafts, so he used an F13 box from an early Astra 1.6 diesel with the Nova 1.3 gearing in it, Nova GTE clutch disk, and 1.8 pressure plate, BUT he had to modify the gearbox casing (don't know exactly how)... On the other hand at work I had a look at a Clutch catalog (Quinton Hazell) and they show Astras and Cavs with F13 boxes on 1.6 Diesel & Petrol, 1.8 and even 2.0 engines!!! Now I really don't get it! Anyway, if I decide to go with the F16 box can I make driveshafts to fit (using the Astra ones) instead of buying modified ones?
Cheers!

Anonymous
21-10-00, 10:25 AM
You can get the two shafts spliced by a good engineering place I did, the joint had a notch at one end and a slot at the other. They were lined up in a lathe spot welded in position and then blasted round with a very powerfull stick welder. Beware it is dificult to get the length right.

Anonymous
21-10-00, 11:16 AM
This is how most of the bought ones are made, unless you go for the expensive Rally versions.

Anonymous
22-10-00, 07:51 AM
Fuck me it sounds like it would be better to just stick the matching box in and splash out for the driveshafts

sorry mate i cant help u with the gearbox cassind etc coz i tried it and modding boxes didnt work for me

that dosnt mean that it isnt possible so can anybody else help?

if u can get a f13 box to fit the engine then your origanal drive shafts would go straight in

Anonymous
22-10-00, 01:54 PM
i wouldnt pay to much to the catalouge as well coz my mate rekons vauxhall dealerships list nova sri`s with ABS! he went to buy summit and they asked him if it had abs? he said "what the fuck"

Anonymous
22-10-00, 08:05 PM
Ok, I think I'll give up on the F13 gearbox then, and stick with the Astra F16 One. But I would like to make my one driveshafts, so any info on that (lenght, how to, etc...)?
Cheers!!

Anonymous
23-10-00, 04:10 PM
My conversion runs an F16 box and i made my own shafts. If you want to know the details put youre email address on here and i will send you some details, as it takes ages to write and last time i got logged out before i could finish.
cheers Paul