PDA

View Full Version : ideas for 1.2spi

big gra
23-07-07, 10:58 PM
got my new nova, its a 1.2spi, dont really want to do much in the way of changing engines again, so want to modify the original engine, its a k reg, not looking for supersonic speed, just want a bit more power, any ideas of what can be done like headwork etc! or if not what engines will go in easiest?? :thumb:

Adam
23-07-07, 11:08 PM
1400 spi goes straight in, still only 60hp tho.
Anything else needs some form of changes.

You can easily mod the 1200i to 60hp.

Welsh Dan
23-07-07, 11:14 PM
1.2 carb head + ignition, 1.3 inlet, weber 32/34 carb, 270/285 degree cam, 4-1 manifold, decat.

1.4 SPI should be an easy engine swap.

big gra
23-07-07, 11:39 PM
think im gonna go for the 1.2 head, polished, ported and skimmed!!

what will i have to do withe the fuel lines and pump if i go from injection to carbs???

Welsh Dan
23-07-07, 11:42 PM
Keep the pump, fit a pressure regulator to the feed (3PSI), and the other one is just a return anyway if i remember correctly.

The card head is a much better one than the SPI one, why waste your money on the labour to have one ported and polished?

big gra
23-07-07, 11:48 PM
so will i wont need the mechanical pump for the carbs?? im confused now!!

Welsh Dan
23-07-07, 11:50 PM
You can either use the mechanical pump, or use a pressure regulator just before the carbs and keep the SPI pump, provided you sort the wiring out.

paulwar
24-07-07, 12:37 AM
best bet is to go over to manual pump, least you will not have problems with regulater etc.

your need to change mainfold, carb, don't need to run a return and you might need a new dizzy?

also would hcnage the loom as the ecu i belive has sensors on the carb to get the mixture right etc?

Stanley
24-07-07, 12:52 AM
IIRC the carb and SPI heads are the same??

Its the MPi head thats different, having round inlet ports?

Welsh Dan
24-07-07, 08:33 AM
The SPI head has tiny square ports, the carb head has cathedral ones like the 1.3.

craig green
24-07-07, 10:09 AM
Why bother tuning a 1.2 Spi SERIOUSLY?

Has to be one of the dullest engines ever. It is torquey but other than a decorative tailpipe, I just wouldnt bother.

Fit some decent brakes & suspension & accept the fact you arent going anywhere in a hurry!

Adam
24-07-07, 11:19 AM
You cant remove the loom as its "inbuilt" to the car loom.

You would need fit a 1.2 carb head, inlet, dizzy,fuel pump etc etc.
Completely pointless if you ask me to end up with some dodgy ****e manual choke carb.

Also, a 1.2 carb head on a spi block(its not the same block as the carb engine) drops the compression by some way(not good for NA)

big gra
26-07-07, 12:45 PM
i know its a waste of time doing much to the engine because its pants, but because of inurance and stuff dont want to be swapping engines to something a lot bigger again! my friend has a 1.4spi engine out of a mk3 astra, would that be any better and would it be a straight swap??