PDA

View Full Version : Does you nova corsa xe have an oil cooler ?

ashtal
23-07-07, 07:24 PM
Does you nova corsa xe have an oil cooler ?

Just trying to decide if i should fit on or not. Im thinking of trying with out it first, maybe add at later date.

Mike
23-07-07, 07:29 PM
Its not essential that one is fitted TBH

Dar
23-07-07, 07:34 PM
If its a road car then you don't have to run one. But if its a track car then I think it would be sensible to have one.

Mike
23-07-07, 07:39 PM
TBH, going by the spec youve already built your Nova to, i think it would be rude not to have one dont you think?

Stuart
23-07-07, 07:56 PM
only run one if you have an oilistat... otherwise its possible to do damage running the oil too cool.

Philsutton
23-07-07, 10:22 PM
I dont even run one on mine, ive never had an issue with cooling though

ashtal
23-07-07, 10:30 PM
Where can i get the little hollow thread to fit an oil filter strait to the pump !?!

Philsutton
23-07-07, 10:47 PM
Vauxhalls, i forget the part number. I normally have quite a few in stock anyway as thats the way we always do the conversions.

Saloony
23-07-07, 10:56 PM
If its fitted as standard why not just fit it.

ashtal
23-07-07, 11:00 PM
If its fitted as standard why not just fit it.

The pipes are mostly solid on the oil cooler so i cant put it where i want, plus the drivers wheel fouls on the pipes !

Saloony
23-07-07, 11:04 PM
So does mine, but only when your on full lock, and how long do you spend on full lock. Mine is mounted high up in front of the rad and thats were it will stay until i get me hand in my pocket and buy nice new pipes and cooler.

ashtal
23-07-07, 11:10 PM
So does mine, but only when your on full lock, and how long do you spend on full lock. Mine is mounted high up in front of the rad and thats were it will stay until i get me hand in my pocket and buy nice new pipes and cooler.

Same but i dont wanna run the risk of oil pissing out all over me drivers wheel !!! Plus its something i can come back to in future when i get bored ! :thumb:

ashtal
26-07-07, 05:37 PM
Vauxhalls, i forget the part number. I normally have quite a few in stock anyway as thats the way we always do the conversions.

Any chance you could find the part numer for me please. The bloke a vauxhall dont really know what im on about, nor do i really !

CP
26-07-07, 06:30 PM
I wouldn't bother unless you discover you have a problem. Don't forget the XE is generally hauling about cars with a lot more weight and might be towing stuff in its normal habitat where forward speeds and airflow over the rad may not be all that good. In a nova overheating is a lot less likely cos the cars are light.
The down side of having a cooler is that it has external pipes and connections that can fail and drop all your oil out too quickly for you to save the engine. Also fitting them can quite often dislodge crap & allow it to get into the system - again not good.
As Stu says you could also be making the oil too cool and wearing the engine out un-necessarily.
If you still think you need one, consider an oil system/water system heat exchanger which avoids most of the issues.
In any event I would defo consider fitting a new water rad and thermostat first before I went to the trouble of anything else.

ashtal
26-07-07, 08:45 PM
Nice info, cheers mate. Got a new rad for the motor. Just need this thread to fix the oil filter to the pump !

GRUNT 16V
27-07-07, 12:47 PM
yep im running one.