PDA

View Full Version : drilled airbox

ade
09-05-02, 07:15 PM
Lots of peeps mention drilling their airboxes.
For us enginless wonders -
1. whats the benefit?
2. Does it make that much difference?
3. I have 1.2 mk2 - is it worth drilling holes?

I know holes need to go on outside of the air filter. Do you need to adjust mixture or idle speed?
This is mainly for those that either cant afford new air intakes or want something as a temporary for that little bit extra (if there is any) power?

Ade

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotamy!

sparky
09-05-02, 10:38 PM
Just get a gun like Homer and shoot some "speed holes" into the bonnet and, well most of the other panels.....but drilling holes in the airbox will Give you more power, but so little you probabley won't notice it.

ade
09-05-02, 11:10 PM
prefer go faster stripes n halfords 2bhp extra mats than speed holes. Didnt think there would be much improvement but then on a 1.2 anything is better than nothing!

Ade

Dicko
09-05-02, 11:44 PM
it makes a better induction noise, draws more cooler air into the engine which results in more power.

the drilled airbox on certain models has been rpoven to produce more power than fitting an induction kit!!!

I did this to my GTE and it did make a nice difference :)

sparky
10-05-02, 01:29 AM
It won't make any difference unless you have a performance exhaust aswell, could make it worse! I had a Nova SR about 7 years ago, and I fitted a K&N air filter and it made the car run like a bag of shjte! Until I fitted an exhaust.
It only makes a psycological difference.

Doc
10-05-02, 08:58 AM
How many more times do i have to post this link!

http://www.tomstickland.co.uk/astra/astradata/gdata.htm#afilter

Check out the section on "filter tests". I did what u r on about doing to my 1.2i, using a K and N replacement element. It worked well, car sounded much better and throttle response was increased, it did definately feel faster ;)

ade
10-05-02, 10:39 AM
thanks guys - I only have a 1.2 - not a 1.2i - been offered a k&n filter element for ?10 and will soon getting manifold/zorst.