PDA

View Full Version : rust removal

richi
19-07-07, 09:25 PM
was there a how to on here a while back talking about if you dip rusted parts in viniger it wil come off?

something along those lines, had a look just could not find it

gazz
19-07-07, 09:35 PM
type vinegar in search box and its in there..:thumb:

johnny_turbo
19-07-07, 09:36 PM
yes there was http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81868

(http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81868)

ade
20-07-07, 11:06 PM
ah - off to Asda this weekend...

richi
20-07-07, 11:23 PM
yeah thought it would come in usefull, is there a way to save it all to your computer rather then just typing in the website cause i will so lose it lol

i have some gmax suspension that has a bit of paint and rust so was wondering if i could try this and make it look to the colour of my car,

Iain
21-07-07, 12:33 AM
I'd be weary about dipping rubber/moving parts in to vinegar, can't see acid being any good for it.

Alex.
21-07-07, 11:37 AM
Add it to your favourites.

Obviously remove all rubber seals etc before dunking parts in vinegar!

Oh, and get white vinegar if you can. Its stronger and doesn't smell of sh!te so much lol

/Jack

Novasport
21-07-07, 11:15 PM
***WORD OF WARNING***
I had a go at dipping some parts in vinegar to remove rust and TBH its a pain in the ar5e. Apart from stinking to high heaven as soon as you remove any parts from the vinegar they instantly start to corrode again at an accellerated rate due to the vinegar.
Also i had a large thick washer just fall in half which was worrying. I was speaking to the guy where I took some parts for electroplating & it appears that dipping steel items in vinegar or acid introduces hydrogen into the steel causing it to go brittle!!! It is worse on high tensile steel which are the parts that take the most strain!!!
You can de-embrittle them to remove the hydrogen by putting them in the oven at 190-220 degrees Celcius for 24 hours.

Mike
21-07-07, 11:40 PM
Makro sell 5ltrs of vinegar very cheap BTW ;)

Mr Sport, that is a very wise point you raise there too!!

Geth
21-07-07, 11:40 PM
You can de-embrittle them to remove the hydrogen by putting them in the oven at 190-220 degrees Celcius for 24 hours.
Christ! :eek: If you were doing that on regular basis your gas/electricity bills would cost more than buying new parts lol

garyc
22-07-07, 09:15 PM
try DEB altrans its a pukka acid rust remover with an inhibitor so it wont corrode!